What's new

BOOGIE NIGHTS question (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Can someone tell me what different stuff is included on the original DVD release of Boogie Nights compared to the 2-disc special edition in orange packaging? Doesn't it have a different commentary track? Any other exclusive extras?

GregMT

Auditioning
The first release has the PT Anderson solo commentary, I believe. This track is also included on the second release. Other than that, I don't recall much in the way of extras from the single disc release. The two-disc extras aren't outstanding, but the group commentary is very cool and the John C. Reilly files are hysterical.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly, the transfer had been redone for the 2-Disc as well. I never saw the first edition, so I can't say what the difference is

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Also different (although not related to extras), is that the transfer on the 2-disc release was supervised by PTA himself and has the correct (and better) looking transfer.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the two disc has the pt anderson solo commentary (which is very good) plus the group commentary. on the second disc is a bunch of deleted scenes, which are great, and you get commentary by pta on those if you select it. i'm not sure if there are any deleted scenes on the first release, but if you are a fan of the film, you should pick up the two disc set.

CJ

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the new disc has a better transfer and has the commentary from the Criterion Laser. I think all the features from the one disc made it to the two- and the two disc version has some deleted scenes I don't think made it onto the single.

-Vince

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
The second disk was also supposed to come with a reduced version of the documentary EXHAUSTED, from where entire scenes of BOOGIE NIGHTS were copied virtually shot by shot.

But the director of the docu, Julia St. Vincent, pulled the plug and released EXHAUSTED as an indie title that comes with the complete movie, XXX-rated scenes and all, plus a juicy commentary track where Julia, director Bob Chinn and actress Gloria Leonard bash the hell out of BN and PTA.

If you´re a fan of the era and theme depicted in BOOGIE NIGHTS, EXHAUSTED is the perfect companion piece.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Okay so basically there's no reason to own the original DVD release if I have the 2-disc release. I thought it had one or two things that the 2-disc version didn't have, such as an alternate PTA commentary track, but if that's not the case then you guys saved me some money. Thanks

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Okay so basically there's no reason to own the original DVD release if I have the 2-disc release. I thought it had one or two things that the 2-disc version didn't have, such as an alternate PTA commentary track, but if that's not the case then you guys saved me some money. Thanks
Don´t forget to check for the easter eggs.
They´re, let´s say, wayyyy more than you paid for, but at least they´re there... :D

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
The 2 disc DVD has everything from the Criterion LD,
except as noted the edited version of Exhausted.
The LD version of Exhausted did have the benefit of a
PT Anderson's commentary track and another audio track
that was someone reading a factual biographical sketch
of John Holmes, but was edited to remove the examples
of graphic sex. PT clearly points out the parts from
Exhausted that he used in Boogie Nights.
The current separate version of Exhausted is the fully
graphic version with a GREAT commentary track by Julia
St. Vincent and company. Also included is an outtake of
one of her interviews with John Holmes. He is stoned out
of his mind. There are a few stills of her personal diary
at the time she was making Exhausted along with a few
audio comments.
As stated, it makes one of the best additions to Boogie
Nights.
The Aussie DVD of Boggie Nights has some interview clips
of the actors, but many reviews claim that it is only
talking head junk. Also on the Aussie DVD is a trailer
that PT Anderson did NOT like. It is not one the US 2
disc version.
The one real missing item is that the 2 disc DVD does
not have the DTS track that came out on the movie only
DTS LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks