What's new

Bonnie & Clyde HD/BD - 3/25/08 - merged (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on people! There's only two of us excited about this release?!

Yeah there's no CGI Enterprise or giant robots but sheesh!

No wonder Warner is the only studio releasing classic films.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm close to getting an HDDVD player (due to the Venturer's price) and I would definitely get B&C.

You can say the same thing about foreign films. Even though everyone on this forum has a DVD player, very few seem to care when a foreign film DVD is announced. It appears the only foreign films in your collection are martial arts/Samurai films, so some can question why you're ignoring the multitudes of foreign films outside Japan. ;)

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
on the other hand its perfectly possible to be a fan of world cinema and not care for Bonnie & Clyde.

I've never cared for either of the leads, and found this to be very over-rated when I picked up the widescreen DVD back in the late 90s.

I'm glad Warners are releasing it, because it has a reputation as an important film (although looking at it even in hindsight its difficult to see why) but it's not to my taste so I wont be getting it.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Oh come on now, you're not one of those "world cinema/arthouse" snobs are you? :P I've seen multitudes of foreign films (outside of Japan and Hong Kong) but that doesn't mean I have to own everything I've seen or even enjoyed.

Be careful I may have seen more foreign language films than you have, you never know. :laugh:

Anyhow I doubt we have the same tastes in foreign films but some non-Japanese (Kurosawa and Mizoguchi are disqualified eh?), non-Hong Kong, non-Italian Horror or Spaghetti western titles I'd jump at in HD (off the top of my head) are M, The Testament of Dr Mabuse, Pepe le moko, Port of Shadows, Touchez pas au grisbi, Le Corbeau, Les Diaboliques, Quai des Orfèvres, Le Trou, Bob le flambeur, Wages of Fear, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, etc. All of which I currently own on DVD. But again I only buy films that I think would get many repeat viewings.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like a challenge... you're on ! :D

I was only partly kidding anyways, but I get what you're saying. The classic/foreign film market is a small market and the HDM market is very small as well. You can imagine how small the market is for classic/foreign films on HDM is.

And since the vast majority of Blu-Ray machines out there are through the PS3 and there's a decent chunk of 360 add-ons out there - we really can't expect many of the typical gamers to have an interest in classic/foreign films.

It's great to see Warner releasing these titles, but I fear that they'll be slowing down these releases as they realize their sales aren't increasing by much as time goes on.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Except there's an awful lot of non-gamers (such as myself) who bought the PS3 simply because it's one of the best BD players out there. I don't think it's fair to assume that PS3 owners are all a bunch of 20-something gamers.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

I'm excited about classic films on HD. In fact, most of what I'm waiting for is classic & foreign (god, ENOUGH with the hi-octane action flicks already). But Bonnie & Clyde is not a title that I am excited about. Hopefully this means more to come, though.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I didn't assume that all are "20-something gamers", but you can bet most PS3s are purchased by gamers... otherwise BD movie sales would be MUCH higher than the 2:1 (or 3:1) lead over HD DVD considering the amount of PS3s in homes.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Great movie, but I've seen it multiple times on HDNet over the past few months, so if I want to see it again in HD I can grab it from there....

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about that. If they were to slow down I think they would've done so by now. It's possible they're selling just enough HDM to make releases like Bonnie & Clyde worthwhile. It's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
there's a new transfer all right- at 4K.

There was a big article a few months back about it (I know Blade Runner was also done at 4K, and I think Cool Hand Luke was as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks