1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bones season 6 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 23, 2010.

1. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Micah returns in another episode. Has anyone seen if FOX mentioned anything about messing up the beginning of the episode (at least on many stations in the EST/CST)? We saw some sort of HD framing pattern for the first minute or so. I had to go back the next day online to see what was there.

2. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah, same here... we got the test pattern for about 3 minutes, the intro segment.. it came on during the song..

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So ... how about that wicked head shot in last week's episode?

4. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

Very un-TV like. Made me recall the film Scanners.

5. Stan

Stan Producer

That was pretty shocking. Can't recall ever seeing something that graphic on standard television.

The title obviously told us what to expect, but the way it was done caught me totally off guard.

6. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I love this show, but this weeks episode was -not- Bones. It was basically a backdoor pilot for "The Finder". And that show (The Finder) sucks.

7. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

How can you say a show that has yet to air "sucks?" Are you seriously basing it on the backdoor pilot? The backdoor into NCIS (from JAG) wasn't the greatest, yet NCIS turned out to be (IMO) the absolute best police procedural ever.

8. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt

Well, let me put it this way: it's a super gimmicky concept with a bad cast. Maybe it will recover and be something great. But I don't know where you go from the premise. If a premise is bad..... a backdoor pilot can be "eh" but let's face it, JAG and NCIS were both procedurals, a backdoor/sideways/whatever still fits into another procedural. It's like The Practice to Boston Legal. Here, though, you're going from a show rooted in science to a show with a guy who has an unexplainable mental flaw brought on by a brain injury that allows him to intuit the unknowable.

9. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
    I was quite disappointed in the show, but it was funny to see Eddie Latekka as an ex-Military guy being the "recovery" dude.

I have been told that the novels that it is based on are quite good though...

10. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

I think it could be workable, but it definitely needs some tweaks. First off, I'm not sure about the pilot/bartender; usually I like women with foreign accents, but for some reason hers turns me off. Next, there were some obvious editing nits - we weren't shown him meeting up with DNR girl (other than from across the bar) but yet she knew his name at the boat. Also, it would have helped to show more of how he 'found' Brennan's medal - from what they showed, for all we know he simply found the article (which would still be impressive), noticed the general appearance of the medal and had another one made. I assume it was another editing or pacing decision, but it would have helped give us a sense of his process without destroying the wonder of his gift.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't watch Bones, but when I came across this episode with Saffron Burrows, the bartender/pilot and Michael Clarke Duncan, I decided to watch it. Sure, this pilot needs work and Burrows Aussie accent can be offsetting because I'm used to her Brit one, but I liked it despite the edit problems.

Crawdaddy

12. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I think the new show could be very workable. I'll certainly give it a shot when it finally airs.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'd stomach "The Finder" easier if it was a USA show, not a Fox show. Plus, the ratings expectations would be less.

14. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

PhilipG
    I thought, "Wow, what a guest cast!" until I realized it was a backdoor pilot. And a bad one; I soon found myself skipping scenes to get to the Bones cast.

p.s. I love Saffron Burrows - but what the Hell was that accent?! Never heard anything like it (well, outside of US TV)... She should just use her regular (English) accent! Really took me out of the show. :-(

15. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I think she was going for a "working class" london accent. But I aggree it didn't work.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I guess I'm the only one that thought her accent was aiming to be Aussie.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I just find it weird to see movie actresses now working on TV shows.

18. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I honestly don't understand the network comment. Are you saying that the network a show airs on carries weight as to whether you like a program? If so that really doesn't make much sense.

I have to agree with Scott that it sounded like a working class British accent but then again I have been wrong before when it comes to accents.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

What I'm saying is that I'm more inclined to give a show with quirky characters on the USA network, where it has a chance to survive in spite of low ratings, as I can't see this "Finder" show garnering enough ratings for Fox to stick with it should it find its way onto its fall schedule. I'm using "stomach" as to embrace a show that might survive on USA, but not on Fox given its quirky lead character with brain damage that helps him find stuff and people. A lot of people don't want to start watching a show they pretty know won't survive more than half a season, then it becomes some self-fullfilling prophecy where everyone is waiting for someone else to give the show a chance, or wait until the buzz is positive before jumping into the pool, and by then, the lack of ratings/buzz kills the show before it can hit its stride. Plus, "The Finder" just feels like a USA network show. Just sayin'

20. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Slightly surreal that one of the spinoff's character establishing moments has the actress with a distinctly fluid sexuality announce vehemently.

Ahhh ahm not a LES-BE-YUN, Ahhh have a cond-fee-dant dee-mean-e-or.