What's new

Bones ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
nicholas, yesh =). it's interest how david B. has a lot of influence over the casting.

also, of the few episodes ive seen of CSI, i never liked it. it was too cold, sterile. i like Bones over CSI.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
That cold, sterile aspect of CSI is probably why it's so popular - there's nothing to really invest in in terms of characters, story arcs, etc. It's disposible TV, in that you can watch any episode you want, not have to know much about it, and understand what''s going on. Bones, like most dramas, requires the viewer to invest in character development, and follow the arc each week. Sure, the various CSI shows do have interesting characters, but there isn't much you ever really learn about them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's painting with a broad brush, and frankly, it's not suitable for this particular thread, but feel free to hash it out in a separate thread if you feel strongly about the topic.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Comparing the differences between Bones and CSI is too far off-topic?

Well, at least this thread did evolve - it began as a series of disappointing remarks and put-downs about how bad the show was. The select few of us who stuck with it have learned how good it became.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No, it's the denigrating of viewers who enjoy shows with more of a standalone approach over viewers who enjoy shows with arcs and character development that needs to be a topic of another discussion thread.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was not trying to be insulting to anyone.

My take on why shows like CSI are popular (forensic obsessions aside) has only to with this:

Some people return home from work, school, etc and want to just escape for 44 minutes, work their way through the clues of a case, game, whatever, and that's the end of it. It's easier to do that and not have to remember that 'oh yeah, Brennan is pop-culture deprived because she spends all her time in research or in other countries living amongst various nationalities' or that 'Booth is a father, former army sniper, and very sympathetic to victims'.

Some people don't care about knowing such things, they just want to see them solve the case without the character's emotional baggage. If I were insulting to anyone, I would have to include myself as well - I may love this show Bones, but I also love all three CSI shows as well.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, it's not like BOnes has a LOT of emotional baggage too. and that's my beef with it as well. it seems to want to rise above mediocrity and it certain instances it does, but then there is too much cheesiness spread throughout each episode to deflate their effort. perhaps it wants to entertain TOO MUCH. i think the way to entertain people is really stick to your guns. notice X-Files, B5, Star Trek TOS, etc. the classic TV series sticks to their guns and it really shines =). not wishy-washy.

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
I missed the last couple of minutes of last nights episode. Taped it with a VCR that's clock is off. What did the bad guy say to the Dr. Temperance/Joy?

Thanks

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The voice said for her to stop her investigation and then Booth asked her who the man on the answering machine was. Bones replied that it was her father.

I've loved just about every minute of Bones so far (except for the early characterization of Hodgens), but this episode came out of left field. I thought it was a bit retarded & convoluted. Since TPTB have been building to this storyline all season I think they could have come up with something better, but I look forward to next season.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Brenda,

Just incase you were asking what the hitman said to Bones at the farm (and not the voice on the answering machine) and were confused by what David said:

He told her that she wouldn't be able to prove his instrument was the one that killed her mother, and if they charged him he'd never tell her what happened to her father. He'd get off, and she never know what happened to her father, so lose the "pig killing thingy" and forget about him and he'd tell her. Otherwise, she'd never know.

She told him that she found out what happened to her mother, and she'll find out what happened to her father as well. She didn't take him up on his offer and he was pissed.

Bones again told Booth he couldn't read her book until it was published. They then went to see Russ, and she made up with him and asked him to come back and stay with her for a few days.

When they got to her apartment, Booth snuck a look at the manuscript for Bones' new book. She saw the dedication, which said something like "This book is dedicated to my friend and partner, Agent Seely Booth".

The three of them were having a beer, and Bones played a message on her answering machine. The voice said something like, "You have to stop looking for me. You don't know how dangerous this is." Or something like that. Booth noticed the reaction of Bones and Russ to the voice and asked who it was. She said it was her father.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is, I'm DAMN glad this show is coming back for season 2.

However, it sucks that it will move to the death slot of Fridays at 8 in January...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks