What's new

Bone spurs .... anybody have/had them ?? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
OK guys I took it a little too seriously last year during my first year back playing tennis. I was OK until the last month when I really decided to go for it. WELL my foot started to bother me on the heel.

Since I'm a big guy(300lb) and do physical labour everyday on concrete floors I wonder whether these will ever "go away" ??

Is surgery my only way out? or can I work it off??

If I do get surgery can I go back to work right away?? I don't get payed for time off and that has me worried.

Mind you I won't pay for the surgery either.

The pain gets pretty bad by the end of a shift and I may consider surgery in the next couple of months if nothing changes.

Brent

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Any surgery on the foot is bad. Takes forever to heal. Plus it's your foot, which means crutches, and they suck.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I have a bone spur above the joint of my right big toe. I can no longer move the toe up at all. Doctors have told me that because of arthritis that has now developed at the joint, even if they take the bone spur out, it will redevelop. It might come back in 6 months or several years but it will come back. The operation would have me off my feet for awhile so I've just decided to suffer through it. Sometimes its not too bad and other times it hurts like hell.

The best relief I've had has been from a local accupuncturist who does work with lasers. Where are you located? I can look into the possibility of a good one near you. I think a combination of Eastern and Western medicine is excellent as Western tends to focus on the symptons and Eastern the root cause of the symptons.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So I guess you'r trying to say that I should get to a doctor??

I'm not big on "experimental" medicine, but if relief can't be found(surgery or otherwise) I'd be up for trying it!

Brent

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My father-in-law was an international triathlete (until he hung up his runnin shoes a few months ago) and got a bone spur on his foot. He had it operated on, and was back doing triathlons at international level within a few months.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Brent,

Yes go to a doctor. I think it can vary in every case and you need to find out where you stand and what your options are.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Did you have an X-ray yet to confirm your condition? It might not be bone spurs at all. I could be plantar fasciitis, collapsed arch, whatever.

You might be able to correct the problem without surgery. Maybe all you need is rest and just some foot exercises to strengthen the muscles.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Brent, surgery will offer only temporary relief. Bone spurs always come back. Losing weight would proably do far more longterm good. I would take Ibuprofen daily. When you keep it in your system constantly it acts as an anti-inflamatory. My feet are covered with bone spurs from jogging 10,000 miles. They hurt a bit sometimes. I've never considered any surgery, myself. Best wishes!

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Brent,

First of all, go to a doctor and get an x-ray to confirm it.

I have a spur on my heel, which aggravated the Achilles tendon and resulted in Achilles tendonitis. I had been running daily for several months and noticed a soreness on my heel. As time went on, it got worse until, one day, I couldn't bear any weight on it at all (this is what sent me to the doctor).

He said surgery was a possibility, but we agreed to try other measures first. I went to physical therapy 3 x a week, where I received Decadron iontophoresis to the heel (a steroid is zapped into the area electrically). I also did stretching, icing, and eventually weight-machine excercise of the joint. I was off of work for three weeks.

This was in June. Now, I'm nearly symptom-free; I feel a very mild tenderness if I push on the heel real hard with my finger. I've resumed running (around ten miles a week) and have joined a gym and do other excercises as well.

So far, so good.

Good luck!

Jon

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So I'll set up an appointment in the next coupla weeks.

Hopefully it's something they can work on, since I don't want to give up tennis. After 11-12 years not playing it feels great to get on the court again.

I like Andrews comment and hope that't me .... of course for me a triathalon would be ... a matinee, followed by 3 hours of tennis, then a game of video golf with my buddies!!... Not quite the same thing.

Since the symtoms have gotten worse at work I would think I could use workers comp so I wouldn't be completely without a pay check if surgery were required.

Just happy to know we have universal healthcare!

Brent

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I had a problem with a heel spur about 10 years ago. Went to the doc, he confirmed it with x-rays. He gave me some anti-inflammatory meds and told me to get some pads for the insides of my shoes. I took the meds for a short time, got the pads, and the problem has never recurred. Hope your luck is similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks