Bond movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bodo, Nov 21, 2002.

1. bodo

bodo Auditioning

I had mentioned to Nils that it would be cool to get all the James Bond dvd's together & view the opening sequences from each movie. He said he would be interested in hosting such a happening. What does everyone else think?

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Bodo! The admins admitted you are real - welcome.
    That sounds like a great idea. Nils did something similar the other night - selected favorite scenes from a few. Unfortunately I had to leave after the first two. Anyway, an opening sequence event works for me. We're having trouble finding avid Bond fans among the current Austin HT members though.

3. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

We had at least 4-5 people at Nils's place to screen various scenes from Bond movies. Not exactly a shortage of Bond fans from the Austin HTF contingent...

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes Colin, there were 4. A good movie type event, but so far only Nils and I went to stand in line for passes and only he and I have committed to actually attend the new Bond movie, a natural for an avid fan.

5. Colin Dunn

I will definitely be going to see "Die Another Day" this weekend. It was just that work commitments precluded me from standing in line to get passes to the sneak preview (and then attending the showing)...

6. Colin Dunn

I saw the movie last weekend in Dallas. What did you guys think of it???

My opinion:

"Die Another Day" was NOT one of the better Bond movies I've seen, and it was easily the weakest of the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies.

The opening sequence was a disappointment. The Madonna song was not particularly compelling. The best Bond opening sequences combine sexy female silhouettes with a unique atmosphere that reflects the story about to unfold. Given the bland settings, "Die Another Day's" sequence downplayed the sex appeal, instead showing Bond continuing to be tortured in captivity. A note to the producers and director: PLEASE don't throw away the sex appeal and substitute more violence. The sexual edge is one thing that elevates Bond above the 20-30 shoot-'em-ups that grace theater screens every summer...

Halle Berry's voluptuous body made her well-suited as a Bond girl, though her acting left some things to be desired. If she can refine her acting for the next movie, I'd like to see her "Jinx" character return, as she is one of the few Bond girls who could actually give Bond a run for his money. Rosamund Pike was very bland in both her appearance and role, and didn't seem to add much to the movie.

The CGI-driven action sequences were so preposterous that I felt very little adrenaline rush. Some of the action sequences just seemed to be overbearing strings of shots of guns firing and glass/ice shattering. The car chase on ice was decent, but it just didn't generate the excitement of the "Tomorrow Never Dies" parking garage duel. Bond didn't seem to have to rely on his instincts; he just floored it, pushed buttons, and watched bad guys (and their property) go "BOOM." A far cry from the "Tomorrow Never Dies" sequence, in which he employs a remote-controlled BMW, steel wire, wire cutters, tire-damaging spikes, and anti-terrorist driving tactics to thwart a small army of thugs...

The climactic sequence, when the plane passed through the super-hot sunbeam, was just too much. The heat could explode buried land mines in the Korean DMZ, but couldn't blow up the fuel tanks on the jet?

Good points: Jinx, Moneypenny's virtual-reality experiment at the end, homages to past Bond adventures in Q's lab, the action sequence in North Korea before the opening credits roll, and...

The surprise of M's betrayal of Bond. Never before have the "double 0s" seemed so expendable to their bosses. I wonder if this will influence later Bond adventures, when he knows M doesn't care one bit if he's dead or alive?

Overall: ** 1/2 out of ****. I will get the DVD to round out my Bond collection, but this just isn't one of the stronger offerings in the series...