What's new

Bond DVD's video quality (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I recently bought the boxed sets 2 and 3 and I've noticed that the wider format films such as OHMSS, YOLT, DIAF, etc. appear to consistanly be less grainy than the narrower format films such as Dr. NO, FRWL, Goldfinger, LALD, and TMWTGG. Age wouldn't appear to be the issue since some of the wide films are older than some of the narrower films. So is this graininess, which is especially visible during dark scenes and shots that show a blue sky, digital artifacts caused by compression or film grain accounted for because of a difference in the film process? Obviously the narrower screen fills more of the picture and would require more data than the wider formats, so I'm guessing that these are digital compression artifacts. If so it is really annoying that they would compromise video quality to accomodate bonus features. I like bonus features but would prefer a first rate bare bones disc if their not willing to make a two discer.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

These are the same old, stale transfers MGM has given these films on DVD since they first released them. No extra effort on PQ and SQ was done except for fixing a couple mastering bumbles that were caught from the first go around.

MGM just made up my mind for me by only releasing the last of the re-released SE's in boxed sets. I will now wait patiently for either the upcoming restored and remixed versions that are in production on DVD, or if the ball starts rolling on HD-DVD in a format audio/video-philes can live with, then I will wait for the 1080p, PCM 6 channel audio versions (assuming the AOD blue format from the DVD Forum lives up to the hype).

Dan

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I lot of people have been dissapointed with the picture quality on these releases. I think they obviously could have been better, but they are good enough for now. I won't be upgrading until HD-DVD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've heard 2005.

whats odd is, check out the clips from Goldfinger in the Documentaries on that disc, and then watch the same scene in the movie.
the clip looks razor sharp, detailed and smooth, while the scene from the movie is very grainy- dupey looking.

yeah i'm not very impressed with these discs.
the depth of supplemental material and it's consistency across the whole series was remarkable at the time, but now i never watch that stuff and the transfers are lacking almost across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks