What's new

Bond According to Jim - WTF?! (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Why the hell is ABC ruining my James Bond experience with these stupid things with Jim Belushi and others from his series at the commerical break? James Bond movies (at least the Sean Connery ones!) do NOT need this! :angry:

John Torrez

Second Unit
Why are you watching the movie on TV anyways? You know it's edited for time, edited for content, in pan and scan, with commercials, etc.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Because the wife is asleep and I catch HELL watching my DVDs at night! :D And I have HDTV and wanted to see if it improves the PQ (not really). And I get sucked into watching Bond whenever it's on TV. Couldn't go past TBS without watching the umpteenth showing of A VIEW TO A KILL.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
While it may be edited for content I don't believe that it is Paned and Scanned. As I recall, the DVD was 1.33:1 as was the original film (probably 1.37:1) but close enough. But I agree, get Jim and the rest of the pathetic crew out of my Bond experience!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TV Producers are fully convinced that audiences are complete idiots, who need puerile filler to hold their attention. :angry:
I've not seen the "Jim" blurbs for the Bond movies, but I think I know the sort of thing you're talking about. And it drives me crazy!
I watched the "Funniest Commercials You've Never Seen" show last night, and have seen it (or similar) a few times before. There is this compulsive need by TV producers to fluff these shows with inane chatter, commentary, and 'plot', all of which just distracts from the material of interest.
I think the ultimate example of this was the Star Trek best-of show a few years ago. I really wanted to watch it, but they had Jason Alexander and two others "performing" an incredibly stupid drama between segments. They were so bad, I couldn't bear to watch the show. :angry:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Unless your set does 720p, Bond will be converted to 540p (and sometimes 1080i) by your set-top box, and once this happens the picture is softened and I would not expect it to look substantially better than the DVD.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm wrong. Dr. No is a 1.77:1 movie therefore it is slightly panned and scanned. Sorry about that.
Well, the movie is certainly ont 1.77:1... That ratio didn't come into mainstream use until high-def video. Perhaps the DVD or HDTV broadcast was in 1.77:1. Regardless, the non-high def COULD have been open matte, however the film has a European ratio of 1.66:1 and an American ratio of 1.85:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks