OK, hit play on the music and then scroll down:

Bond page 1.jpg

View attachment 148884

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But he'll no longer be a "young" 30-ish when this gets off the ground. He'll be closer to 40.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
But he'll no longer be a "young" 30-ish when this gets off the ground. He'll be closer to 40.

Well, are you guessing that the next film will not be released for 5 years? If that happens I think you are correct. If they manage to get the next picture out in 2 to 3 years he will still pretty much be in his mid 30s, 36 or 37 maybe. And then if you consider him having a 3 to 5 picture run as Bond, and they get the pictures out every 2 or 3 years...well...he would end up 50 by the time they get there probably.

I don't know, I mean I think the actor you choose and how they fill the part will tell the tale here. I suppose they could go even younger and pick a guy in his 20s but that guy really should look the part.

I think they do want to try something different with Bond and I think Page really appeals to them. I know most people won't dig this, and it would never happen, but if they cast Page, I think it would be cool to land someone lie Tarantino to direct and do an R-rated Bond. I mean I think this franchise mainly only appeals to people over 30 so why not?

Of course, I think there is no chance in hell that Broccoli hands the reigns of a Bond film to Tarantino and who knows if Quentin will even make another picture. I think a Bond from him would be fun though.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Funny thing, when you first mentioned Mr. Page in this thread, I had no idea who you were talking about. Now at least I know who he is thanks to The Gray Man, which is kind of a spy film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think they do want to try something different with Bond and I think Page really appeals to them. I know most people won't dig this, and it would never happen, but if they cast Page, I think it would be cool to land someone lie Tarantino to direct and do an R-rated Bond. I mean I think this franchise mainly only appeals to people over 30 so why not?
They tried to do something different by hiring Danny Boyle for No Time To Die, then got scared when he actually wanted to "shake it up".

The rumor/story at the time was that Boyle wanted Bond to die and Broccoli didn't want that, then that's what they ended up doing anyway.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
They tried to do something different by hiring Danny Boyle for No Time To Die, then got scared when he actually wanted to "shake it up".

The rumor/story at the time was that Boyle wanted Bond to die and Broccoli didn't want that, then that's what they ended up doing anyway.

Yeah, Quentin is much more than they would want to deal with and he would insist on having creative control. I was just fantasizing with that. I know that Quentin was once in talks to do a Star Trek picture but I think a Bond would be better suited to him. It would be fun but I think they want more control over these franchise pictures. I do think doing the first R rated Bond would stir up some interest but they likely won't do that either.

Odd what happened with Danny Boyle, I tend to think there must have been some other reason other than just wanting to kill off Bond that he was dismissed.

I am as curious as to who directs this next Bond as I am in who is playing Bond. Of the choices I've seen mentioned as to who might play Bond, none of them stand out to me but I have seen little of the work these guys have done.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
The three front runners to be the next James Bond appear to be in order, Rege-Jean Page, Simu Liu, and George MacKay.
Perhaps this only shows my ignorance, and maybe I should have googled before I posted, but still; this means nothing to me, to quote Ultravox.
And I consider myself as someone who keeps up, but maybe not on the right areas.
These people are TV series people, right?

So, off to google ;)

OK, Rege-Jean looks ok, but Simu? Really? Great in Shang-Chi, but Bond? And while George was good in 1917, Bond?
While good actors each, they are no Bonds, to me. Please, keep looking ...

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Perhaps this only shows my ignorance, and maybe I should have googled before I posted, but still; this means nothing to me, to quote Ultravox.
And I consider myself as someone who keeps up, but maybe not on the right areas.
These people are TV series people, right?

So, off to google ;)

OK, Rege-Jean looks ok, but Simu? Really? Great in Shang-Chi, but Bond? And while George was good in 1917, Bond?
While good actors each, they are no Bonds, to me. Please, keep looking ...

It's not really the line-up of guys I expected either. I figure the idea was to do something different. Barbara Broccoli supposedly really thought Elba would be a great Bond but he sort of aged out of the role. So, Page appears to be a younger version of Elba to some degree. Simu, and I don't say this to knock him, likely was getting consideration because they probably figure with him in the role the picture would be huge in China. Right now China seems to be the market that the movie industry, with franchise pictures at least, most wants to appeal to.

MacKay, well, I guess he would be different than Craig in the part and maybe with him they would have a bit of a lighter touch and lean into the comedy, Roger Moore style. I don't know.

I think the Bond pictures have changed with the times and sort of with each new actor they bring in. I think the key is to tailor the role to the new actor a bit and find and play to that actor's natural strengths. If you blend the strengths of the actor with the Bond universe the audience will probably accept him in the role.

Craig had more of a rough edge to him and so Bond in his pictures was a bit rougher. The three guys that supposedly currently top the list I don't think have Craig's edge so, I think maybe a Bond they would play would lean more into the charm and humor perhaps.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't believe any of this. I don't think they'll be seriously casting for some time.

Oh I believe they have a list and are talking to people because taking the Bond role ties the actor up for a while and that becomes their primary commitment. I think they have to talk to the actors to ask if they even want to get involved with that. On top of the time you have to put in, while you are Bond you have to stay in great shape. It is a lot of shirt off and physical work. So, I mean they are not just going to spring it on someone. It is a big ask to be Bond.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think all the guys that played Bond were not huge stars when they took the role of James Bond except maybe Pierce Brosnan. He probably was the most established actor to have taken the part. All the others really got a boost to their careers by playing Bond. So, the three guys on their radar sort of fit that kind of mold. They are not huge stars right now.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Who they choose to be the next Bond will also depend on the type of Bond they want.

For example (my impressions only, of course):

Connery: rugged, manly, charming, suave in a tux (the perfect mix for a Bond, IMO)
Moore: smooth, slick, humorous
Dalton: serious, active, not very charming (not a womaniser)
Brosnan: dapper, debonair, handsome (but less adept at the action scenes)
Craig: brutal, tough, emotional, determined

I've seen Page's work on the Netflix show Bridgerton and he was pretty good in it. He is handsome (maybe too handsome, according to my wife!), smooth, suave, charming, etc. Haven't seen him in an action flick yet, but if they're going for a younger Bond he would be in the right age range.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Regé-Jean Page was the worst part of The Gray Man. I did notice him right away. I noticed how bad and annoying he is.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Since the movies seem to take 3-5 years to make these days, I wonder if Barbara Broccoli would reconsider her resistance to doing movies for the Amazon prime service. Maybe even period movies set in the 50s and 60s, like the original novels? Or even more popular would be a movie starring Paloma, who as we all know was played by Ana de Armas. While we wait for the new theatrical 007 movie to launch in maybe 2026, perhaps there could be something in-between?

I also felt that Regé-Jean Page's character Carmichael in The Gray Man was annoying, but I feel it's mainly that he was intentionally written that way. Someone doesn't like Harvard, and they were trying to make him an annoying example of that place. I imagine Harvard's PR people are cringing, and trying to think of how they can get a some good Hollywood pr without paying for it. Maybe by allowing some movie to film on their campus, which they normally wouldn't do?

Anyway, I agree that after the roughness of Craig's Bond that a different approach might be good, but I'm not sure who would be a good candidate.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Must be a slow day at Total Film, as I don't think that's really "news". Most every actor who has played the role has been there at least that long. I'd think it's understood that if you want the job, you're going to be asked to do multiple films and as slow as EON is to get these off the ground these days, that will encompass many years. No actor should be expecting a one-and-done.

The shortest cumulative stay by any actor in more than two films was Pierce Brosnan who was attached for 7-8 years and made four films, but that was when they were still capable of putting out a film every two years.

A commitment of 10-12 years these days may only be two or three films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They can want an actor to do it that long, but personal service contracts are only valid for seven years, so that will be more of a handshake agreement and hope than a legal obligation.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Must be a slow day at Total Film, as I don't think that's really "news". Most every actor who has played the role has been there at least that long. I'd think it's understood that if you want the job, you're going to be asked to do multiple films and as slow as EON is to get these off the ground these days, that will encompass many years. No actor should be expecting a one-and-done.

The shortest cumulative stay by any actor in more than two films was Pierce Brosnan who was attached for 7-8 years and made four films, but that was when they were still capable of putting out a film every two years.

A commitment of 10-12 years these days may only be two or three films.
Connery did six movies from 1962 to 1971, Moore seven between 1973 and 1985, Brosnan four 1995 to 2002, and then Craig five from 2006 to 2021, so about ten years or more, and four and up movies, not counting the outliers. And Craig's last movie was already done in 2019, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks