What's new

Which studio/company do you want to co-finance and distribute Bond 25?

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Sony Pictures

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 20th Century Fox

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Universal Pictures

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Annapurna Pictures

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Apple

• Amazon

• Total voters

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I find myself more looking forward to the new Mission Impossible movie. They've become more Bondian (at least what I consider to be Bondian) than the actual Bond films of late.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I find myself more looking forward to the new Mission Impossible movie. They've become more Bondian (at least what I consider to be Bondian) than the actual Bond films of late.

100% agreed!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSpyCommand/status/972670201337667586

Not confirmed. MGM and Annapurna formed a joint venture to release each other's films (Death Wish remake first under that). Bond 25 not part of that agreement. But Deadline reported in November the joint venture was "thisclose" to getting the domestic deal for Bond 25.
HaphazardStuff

@HaphazardStuff
Replying to @TheSpyCommand and @Stingray_travel
was it official that annapurna pictures signed w EON & MGM, I nvr saw that was confirmed

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I guess I'm one of the only left who's still SUPER stoked for more Bond. At least as long as it's still Craig is still Bond. With 25 being his apparent last I'm particularly interested in seeing his send off. After that I may be less interested. At least until they impress me with what they do with Bond 26 and beyond.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess I'm one of the only left who's still SUPER stoked for more Bond.

+1.

Like I said, I'll be excited when the film rolls around, but since there is no actual news about what is happening with it right now, it's tough to get excited when you don't know anything.

At least as long as it's still Craig is still Bond. With 25 being his apparent last I'm particularly interested in seeing his send off. After that I may be less interested. At least until they impress me with what they do with Bond 26 and beyond.

The funny thing, to me, is that even though it wasn't that great of a movie on its own terms, Spectre actually served as a pretty decent sendoff for this version of Bond. It tied all of Craig's films together and finally gave him the "happy ending with the girl' which none of his other films had done yet. So, I'm glad he will be coming back, but if he had chosen the other way, I would have been more than okay with that being the sendoff for his version of the character. It will be interesting to see how they build on that in the next one.

As far as what happens after Craig's eventual exit, I am sure I will continue to be pumped for the franchise, because it will reinvent itself again with another new face, as it has done successfully several times before. The first Bond film I ever saw was Die Another Day, once, in theaters in 2002 when it came out, and I barely remember it. Of course, I've gone back and seen other titles on disc and television since then, but the Bond which I have memories of connecting with on the big screen in a meaningful way is all Craig. I will miss him when he leaves. And yet I am not hesitant at all about the idea of someone else doing it, because it seems to me that being reinvented with each new actor for the times in which that actor is working in service of the series is exactly the key to its longevity.

In some hypothetical other world where it is possible for actors to stay young and in top physical shape forever, where Sean Connery is the only Bond ever and has stayed in the role for 50 years, the films would be tired facsimiles of their former selves. It is precisely because each actor has given a new take that the series has remained relevant and exciting to each new generation and why the films keep making money and keep getting made. If you told the producers of Dr. No at the time of that film's first release that in 2018, we would still be talking about new James Bond films and who might be playing the part next, that probably would have sounded unbelievable to them. But here we are, and it's because the series has successfully weathered so many transitions, both within their own series and within the wider entertainment industry at large that we are here having such a discussion right now. So I have no doubt that it will weather the transition successfully again, because that's just what happens. It's not that they've never made a bad movie before, but if you look at the whole of it, they've done more things right than wrong, and all of the actors who have embodied the role have been very good.

Bond is that rare series that will never die. And as long as they keep making good moves, we'd never really want it to.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If this doesn't start shooting until the end of the year, will they really be able to make a release date of October 2018? That seems like it would be pretty tight considering the scope of these films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think so. The last three Craig films all came together very quickly. There was a lot of time between each of them, but it followed a similar pattern to this (especially with Skyfall and Spectre)... lock in the release date, delay the start, delay the start, delay the start, and then sprint to the finish line.

These things usually take a couple months to shoot for the main unit. The Bond movies rely heavily on second unit photography, and have been using the same second unit forever. That unit will shoot at the same time as the main unit and probably deliver everything on time. They'll have a few months to edit, and that should be enough. Thought he films use visual effects, it'll probably be more in the nature of removing green screen and removing wires rather than building entire environments digitally. The Bond producers have said for years that they have no plans of producing a 3D Bond film, so they won't need any extra time to post-convert the footage for 3D release.

Presumably, the script will get written this spring/summer, and the second unit will start shooting once that's done. Heck, the Bond films have shot setpieces before where they lacked a finish script, and then wrote around them later.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If this doesn't start shooting until the end of the year, will they really be able to make a release date of October 2018? That seems like it would be pretty tight considering the scope of these films.

I think the release date is November 2019...or perhaps you meant October 2019 for the Euro release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the release date is November 2019...or perhaps you meant October 2019 for the Euro release.

Yes, the release date is November 2018 for the U.S., but Bond always goes out worldwide before the U.S., which means they'd have to have it done for October in foreign markets -- unless they wan to shift their longstanding release pattern, but I doubt it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Boyle said John Hodge is currently working on the script. The duo previously worked on “Shallow Grave,” “Trainspotting,” “A Life Less Ordinary,” “The Beach” and “T2 Trainspotting” together. A spokesperson for Hodge has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

“We’ve got an idea, John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment. And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away,” Boyle said.

https://www.thewrap.com/danny-boyle-bond-25-direct/

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, the release date is November 2018 for the U.S., but Bond always goes out worldwide before the U.S., which means they'd have to have it done for October in foreign markets -- unless they wan to shift their longstanding release pattern, but I doubt it.

So, is the release date they had set for 2018? I thought it was for 2019...or am I losing what little mind I had...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Pretty sure the release date has always been 2019 -- so I really don't think it's a big deal for them to make this movie in 18 months.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Pretty sure the release date has always been 2019 -- so I really don't think it's a big deal for them to make this movie in 18 months.

Yes, to make a late 2018 release date shooting another film before starting Bond 25 would be basically impossible. However, I think they can make late 2019...plus they like to market the hell out of these pictures and they certainly don't have time for that if they had a 2018 release date set.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So, is the release date they had set for 2018? I thought it was for 2019...or am I losing what little mind I had...

No, your mind is fine. I typed "2018" in my above post, reflexively, since that is this year and I'm used to keying it for dates. But what I actually meant was 2019; you just replied and caught it before I could edit my earlier post to fix it. So, yes, the release date has always been set for 2019, and that was my typo. Sorry.

You're right. 18 months from now would be reasonable, if they were starting now. But Boyle said that he would start shooting "at the end of the year." If he means November or December, that's 11 or 10 months between the beginning of shooting and the October 2019 release date in foreign markets, which is what makes me think it might be a little rushed.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that would fit in the timeframe for the most recent two films. I don't think Skyfall and Spectre shot until about that close from release either.

With the second unit handling basically all exteriors, all stunts and all inserts, Boyle's primary job will be shooting dialogue scenes and less complex action moments featuring the principal cast. Directing a Bond film is in many ways closer to directing an episode of a television series than many other feature film projects. So, it's not that Boyle has to shoot all of it on his own; he just needs to shoot the non-action portions in a two month period, which doesn't seem that hard. Meanwhile, the second unit will shoot simultaneously, and the editing team will start assembling the footage as soon as it starts coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks