What's new

Which studio/company do you want to co-finance and distribute Bond 25?

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Sony Pictures

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 20th Century Fox

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Universal Pictures

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Annapurna Pictures

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Apple

• Amazon

• Total voters

Spy Commander

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Koenig
I have tried to discuss this at various times and got pushback. "There's no way they'd set a release date without a distributor!" Well, yes, yes they could.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have tried to discuss this at various times and got pushback. "There's no way they'd set a release date without a distributor!" Well, yes, yes they could.

At this point the plot should involve bond trying to get his movie made.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
"There's no way they'd set a release date without a distributor!" Well, yes, yes they could.

This works because they have a film that lots of different companies want to distribute.

They can make retaining their own previously-announced release date a condition of signing the deal. If any distributors don't like that date or don't feel like they can make that date, then there are plenty of other distributors who would. This wouldn't work for some indie film with no stars or street cred, but everybody except Disney wants Bond, and MGM, Eon and the Broccolis all know it, so they're holding all the cards here.

(That being said, I still believe the end result of this will be MGM self-distributing in the joint venture with Annapurna, because why else create that venture if you're not going to use it for your golden goose?)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Boyle's other film has been dated for September 13, 2019, two months before Bond 25 (and probably even closer to the international release, which is usually in October.) Deadline says he'll be done with this one by late fall, which means Universal will sit on it for nearly a year, and then Boyle will most likely have two films out in a very short period of time

http://deadline.com/2018/04/danny-b...ease-two-months-before-james-bond-1202365674/

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Boyle's other film has been dated for September 13, 2019, two months before Bond 25 (and probably even closer to the international release, which is usually in October.) Deadline says he'll be done with this one by late fall, which means Universal will sit on it for nearly a year, and then Boyle will most likely have two films out in a very short period of time

http://deadline.com/2018/04/danny-b...ease-two-months-before-james-bond-1202365674/

Just need that distribution partner for bond 25. Maybe Sony will do it again?? Ha!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety's report contradicts Deadline's report, which said that Boyle would be done with the comedy by late fall this year and shoot Bond next year. Interestingly, Deadline and Variety are sister publications, owned by the same company, so it's interesting that their reporters are not on the same page.

Personally, I think there's no need to rush it to make a date, which puts extra pressure on everybody, including Craig, who we know can be temperamental about his commitment to this role at times. If MGM wants to hit the November 2019 date, I suspect thy can still do it, but I wouldn't be upset at all if this were to move to 2020 in order to give them more time to work on it. I just want it to be the best film possible, and if that means we don't get it until 2020, I'm personally fine with that. Whether MGM's shareholder will feel the same way, however, is another question entirely.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Rachel Weisz has announced her pregnancy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/style/rachel-weisz-disobedience-movie.html

I bring this up here since Daniel Craig is her husband and the baby's father. I wonder if this may impact the shooting schedule for Bond 25 at all. It would be perfectly reasonable if Craig should not wish to go around the world shooting while she is with child. I don't know him and I'm not saying he would make that choice, but it would be understandable if he wanted to be around to support her during this time.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Rachel Weisz has announced her pregnancy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/style/rachel-weisz-disobedience-movie.html

I bring this up here since Daniel Craig is her husband and the baby's father. I wonder if this may impact the shooting schedule for Bond 25 at all. It would be perfectly reasonable if Craig should not wish to go around the world shooting while she is with child. I don't know him and I'm not saying he would make that choice, but it would be understandable if he wanted to be around to support her during this time.

We'll see.

The distribution and financing is still an issue as well.
Daniel is contracted for 25.

Then we can all move on. : )

Hopefully 26 will see a return to 007 movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Daniel is contracted for 25.

Of course he is. I wasn't trying to imply that this is not the case. But what I'm saying is that he may choose to remain with his wife during and for a while after pregnancy, which could delay filming. I think he has a right to make that choice.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it is becoming clear that the film won't meet the release date anyway, so I don't think the lack of a distributor is a big problem at this moment.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Looks like Craig will have the distinction of being both the youngest and the oldest Bond since Roger Moore.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
...along with the most time between films, a record he has three times over before the next person’s gap.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
...along with the most time between films.

Which is interesting because Craig's films have featured far more serialized elements than past Bonds. If the release date ends up being pushed, and we don't get the next one until 2020, I wonder if interest will have dissipated in the five years since Spectre. Of course, there will always be an audience for Bond, but maybe not quite as huge as if they had struck while the iron was hot.

I remember vividly that when I saw Spectre, I was with a friend who was a casual Bond fan but hadn't seen Skyfall, and might not have seen the prior Craig films in a while. He went with me expecting it to be a standalone film, and then was confused, so I loaned him Skyfall afterwards, and then Spectre made more sense, but he saw them in reverse order. Which usually doesn't matter with Bond, but in this case did. Perhaps the extended gap between films may result in the next one being more standalone?

Spy Commander

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Koenig
I think it is becoming clear that the film won't meet the release date anyway, so I don't think the lack of a distributor is a big problem at this moment.

If Eon were capable of self-financing (the way George Lucas self-financed Star Wars before selling to Disney), it wouldn't be a big deal. Eon could find a distributor and pay it a distribution fee.

However, the distributor for Bond movies has been a key source of financing the movie. Under Sony's most recent two-picture Bond deal, it provided half of the production budget while only getting 25 percent of the profits.

If MGM decided it could handle the financing by itself, it also wouldn't be such a big deal. But it hasn't been able to do that for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks