What's new

Bonanza On DVD (1 Viewer)

Kym Lyall

Auditioning
Well I know that some episodes of the ever popular Western Series Bonanza, is on DVD. But most of the dvd's are like episodes from season 1 and 2, not that great quality and all jumbled around the place.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this series will eventually be released in Box season sets? There is 14 season's all together and 430 episodes and I really think this is one series that shouldn't be forgotten (even tho it's over 40year old)and be put on DVD as whole/season sets. Even with booper reels and interviews from the cast clips ect.

Anyone else share this veiw?

~Kym

Jo_C

Second Unit
Yes, "Bonanza" is indeed on DVD, but beware! Even though the price may be right for you, beware. The series is now in the public domain (even though NBC/Paramount owns the original film elements), which is why so many video companies have released the show on DVD, and chances are you may be stuck with a video that either doesn't have the original theme music or may give you crappy prints.

For the record, Republic did release "official" video releases of selected episodes on VHS many years back, so at this point the only true video versions are from Republic...but alas, they too are out of print. You'll be lucky if you find them at a video specialty store.

If you really want true versions of "Bonanza" on DVD, I suggest you go to Artisan (they handle distribution of Republic titles).

Or, you can see the edited syndicated versions on PAX TV. Take your pick.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Artisan probably wouldn't release them on DVD (I HOPE not...); I'd rather wait for this (and the other NBC stuff that Republic owned; i.e., Get Smart) to come out when Paramount gets the rights. (Get Smart season sets...THAT would be cool.)

And this show is, AFAIK, NOT public domain; budget video labels and low-power TV stations use 16mm bootleg prints which have (usually) had the theme music dubbed over, and all copyrights, and mentions of NBC, removed to avoid legal issues...though I think that the (obviously illegal) exhibition and distribution of these shows would be enough to cause legal issues...

Kym Lyall

Auditioning
Do you think Paramout would get the rights? I would wait :) Well I've been waiting 13 years so a few more aint gonna hurt lol.

I know what you all mean about the dubing of the original theme for Bonanza. I have some DVD's that are from USA and it's got this real crappy music on it for the theme. I'm like WHAT! that aint the TV version, hehehe. Lots of people have taped it for me from PAX ect. but they chop off the begining! and for some reason cut it up and fill it with adds! I mean what gives?? cant ya just watch a show like it was filmed lol, without having it totally hacked to bits :)

Can you beleive they wont even air it anymore! well in Oz they wont, yesh...

LOL yeah Get Smart is Great! Tho *grin* I would have "Hey Dad" and "Mr Ed" before GS, any day :wink:

*sigh* ahh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens with Boannza and see if someone will eventually produce it in box sets and the way it was ment to be shown :)

~Kym

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks