Bon Ton Roulet Bicycle Tour

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_F, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've wanted to do this ride for a while, but it was always either booked full or didn't fit my schedule. I've signed up this year and made it my modest fitness goal for the cycling season.

Has anybody here ever been on this tour of the NY Finger Lakes?

What are some of the local sights and experiences which are not to be missed?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Jim, I got the same brochure in the mail. In fact, I have it sitting in front of me right now. I would considering doing this except I'll be in France doing a slighty bigger Tour [​IMG] [​IMG]

Looking at the routemap, it looks like a great tour, but expect it to be fairly hilly and rolling. (I've driven by the finger lakes before, never rode up around there) Once thing I would not miss is Watkin's Glen, very nice town that hosts alot of historic car races and also has the Gorge at Watkins Glen State Park. You can walk up the waterfall and is very nice.

I'm sure you've read the brochure listing all the Wineries around there which is a big tourist attraction.

Jay

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Thanks Jay, I'd have loved to do the TdF thing this year, but next year such a ride will probably be a better match for my schedule and budget.

BTR visits Watkins Glen. The elevation graph makes the next few miles afterward look pretty "interesting" despite the reduction in climbing (I'm a little ambivalent about that) noted.

Alas, wineries are no longer my thing, but thanks for the heads up-I'll be giving the slower riders extra room when passing!

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

If it's hills you want, check out CFC (Columbus Fall Challenge) near the bottom of this page:

http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/biking/tours.htm

Very popular among my clubmates. I've done it once. Beautiful, challenging (hence the name) ride.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I shall... I just got a brochure in the mail today about another ride in the Adirondacks...

www.adirondackbicycletour.com

The brochure mentions they are affiliated with the Bon Ton people and it's another 7 day bike tour but takes place around the wonderful lakes in the Adirondacks... This tour looks to be great. I've done some riding up there and it's just great to be in and around the high peaks and Lake Placid is a cool city. I did the 55 mile Ironman loop a few years ago, from the ADK Loj which is a great loop. The Lake Placid ironman qualifiers do two laps but since I had to drive home the same day, I did one but it was sooo beautiful, I wanted to do two.

Jay