What's new

Bombs that probably deserved better (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
E.T 20th annv. re-release...shame shame
I also wanna mention We Were Soldiers. Even though it took in a healthy $78M, it should have been on the $100M+ list. Again, it was another "wouldn't know a good film if it bit them in the ass" type of film.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Hart's War- It only made $19 million, but it was a pretty enjoyable film in my opinion.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
You guys forgot the mother of all movies that deserved better at the B.O.(at least for me):
The Shawshank Redemption
I also second (third & fourth) Requiem for a Dream, Iron Giant and Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Oh, and Kingpin. Best Farrelly Bros. movie yet.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Road to El Dorado A very fun animated romp, unfairly burdened with the rumour that its lead characters were gay.
If anything, these speculations (not rumors) probably boosted the box office more than it would have without it.
This film, especially coming as the follow up to the magnificent The Prince fo Egypt was just a disappointment, in both critical reviews and most audiences. The idea that an animated version of a Hope/Crosby road movie was just not right for modern audiences that had no reference to these older comedies. For me, it toed the line between adult, and childrens fare not very well. At least DW learned how to balance it right with Shrek.
I would agree about Iron Giant, Fight Club, and Shawshank Redemption. All good movies that deseved more money at the BO.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Definitely Fight Club and The Shawshank Redemption. They were both also robbed of Oscars, in my opinion (at least Shawshank got plenty of nominations, but Fight Club didn't even manage that... too much controversy).

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
My vote goes to Suicide Kings. This movie is one of my all time favorites. I can't even remember an ad campaign for it. It one of those few movies that I can put in an watch anytime. And it never fails to make me laugh.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Repeating some here:

The Iron Giant
The Shawshank Redemption
Almost Famous
Gattica
Dark City
Pleasantville
The Frighteners
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Quick And The Dead
Quigley Down Under
Ronin
Unbreakable
Without Limits

Jason

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Jason's list is pretty much spot on. Of that, I really wish that Iron Giant had been given the box office it so richly deserved. Even it's DVD release was fumbled (as was Shawshank's, come to think of it). I mean, we have a non-Disney animated release with a ton of talent and heart with strong conviction in it's theme and one of the most beautiful goodbye scenes I have ever seen.

I'm doing my part to recommend it to anyone that will listen, but it hasn't even enjoyed the cable/video resurrection that Shawshank has.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Great fun, possibly Renny Harlin's best movie, and will forever be known for having the worst cost/ticket sales ratio in history.
I dunno. According to IMDB, CI cost $92 million to make and took in $11 million at the box office. El stinkerino, to be sure. But Town & Country cost $90 million to make and took in only $6.7 million at the box office. That makes it a top contender in the financial disaster sweepstakes, ahead of even CI, which I also liked in a goofy sort of way.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wow. How on Earth does New Line spend $90M on Town & Country? You could at least see the money on Cutthroat Island!

Which begs the question - what the heck was everybody seeing Holiday '95 as opposed to this?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Recently, "Almost Famous" and "Wonderboys" come to mind.

Also, I've seen "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" show up in this thread - did that film not do well, at least compared to most Coen Bros. films? I thought it had done some decent box-office by their standards. Definitely should have, as it's a fantastic movie.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Though the movie is far from a bomb on the fan level...on boxoffice alone though, it just stunk...LA CONFIDENTIAL. One of the best films to come from Hollywood in many years and the public turned it's nose up to it.

ShawnCoghill

Stunt Coordinator
I actually liked Waterworld, Of course The Cable Guy was Great,one of if not the best of Carrey,Theres alot of films mentioned here that were great films,alot of these werent bombs.Just becuase they didnt do that great at the box office didnt mean they didnt do well critically.I think a Bomb is something that didnt go over well AT ALL,didnt make up the money it took to make,and got horrible reviews.Films like Fight Club didnt do Horrible at the box office,and did pretty well with critics.Sure Donnie Darko didnt make alot,but it wasnt a big box office film,and it did rather well with critics.

Brad_V

Second Unit
My vote goes to Suicide Kings. This movie is one of my all time favorites. I can't even remember an ad campaign for it. It one of those few movies that I can put in an watch anytime. And it never fails to make me laugh.
I had never even heard of Suicide Kings until I was looking through the $1 DVD section at the rental store a few months back. Tuesday through Thursday you get a free $1 rental when renting a new one, so I was trying to find *something* to rent for free. It's a Christopher Walken movie, so YOU knoW it can't bE thAt BaD. :P
I really enjoyed it. Wasn't a "holy crap this is the best movie ever" type of thing, but well worth what I paid to rent it. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Also, I've seen "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" show up in this thread - did that film not do well, at least compared to most Coen Bros. films?
I was more thinking about lack of critical reaction, the fact that Oscar ignored it. It is too bad that "Best song" has to do with original songs, because the music made that movie.

Jason

Sarah Temple

Agent
maybe in the only one that thinks so, but Magnolia, which is a favorite of mine. also, fight club , which did a lot better when released on dvd and video. i thought e.t. 20th would do better as well, though i got really tired of the cg in it... ive seen et over 400 times, so its sort of like a child to me. i didnt know shawshank did badly. thats strange to me. its kind of an everyone movie... i mean who doesnt like it???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks