What's new

Bombs that probably deserved better (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching Osmosis Jones for the first time a little while ago. It occurred to me while I was watching it that it really wasn't such a bad flick. That's not to say it's stupendous, but as I recall almost no one went to see this thing and it got absolutely mauled by critics. But I thought it was all good fun. I could even see myself picking up the dvd. Maybe people didn't like it because they despise puns or something.

It got me thinking about other movies that come out and not only don't do well, but get massacred even though at the end of the day they're not such bad movies, and they might even be better than some of the stuff that does do alright. Any other examples and theories on why this happens? Bad timing? Bad marketing? People just plain stupid?

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Virus. Not a single even moderately positive review(that I found, anyway), yet it's an entertaining film and incredible from a technical standpoint...

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Almost Famous. IMO, the best film of 2000 (with Requiem for a Dream right behind it).
The film got positive reviews all across the board (it even has a 91% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes) and almost everybody who saw it in theaters enjoyed it. Yet the film still tanked. I blame the general public (as they wouldn't know a good film if they ever saw one) and bad timing (September 2000, September is never a profitable month).

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I know the film has more than its share of detractors, but I've always been a huge fan of Barry Levinson's TOYS. It's definitely not a film for everyone, but I personally love it to death.

For starters, TOYS is just beautiful to look at. More than any other film I can think of, TOYS realizes and takes advantage of the fact that film is a primarily visual medium.

It's a wacky movie. It's goofy. It's rediculous. But it's never mean-spirited or offensive or insulting.

This movie has an atmosphere of fun and whimsy like no other. Everything from the production design to the acting to the gorgeous music fits perfectly. I just can't get enough of TOYS.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here are films that didn't do well at the box office, but I know that they deserved much better:

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (Sure, this got only a limited release, but this is my absolute favorite film of all time, and it deserved infinitely more money then it made in limited release!)
FRAILTY (The best film I've seen this year, and a new favorite of mine.)
THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES (Excellent and creepy film based on the very interesting Mothman sightings that ocurred in Point Pleasant, West Virginia in the 60's.)
SESSION 9 (Another film with limited release, but it is a superb horror film that deserved better.)
RAVENOUS (Another favorite of mine, this darkly humored horror romp was a breath of fresh air.)

That is only a small few, but in my opinion, there are literally hundreds of films that deserved much better than they got, and I can't list all of them.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I agree Justin, but I don't consider any of those films "bombs." Maybe limited releases that should have done better, but definitely not box office bombs. I would vote for Deep Rising. $45 million budget and only $11 at the box office, but it deserved much better.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I agree Justin, but I don't consider any of those films "bombs."
Every film on Justin's list "bombed" except Frailty.
Requiem for a Dream cost $4.5 million and only made $3.4 million.
Session 9 cost $1.5 million and was lucky to make $400,000.
Mothman Prophecies cost $45 million and only took in $35 million.
Ravenous cost $12 million and only made $2 million.
Not big losses of money (as some films), but all failed to take in their budgets.
I also thought of other films that bombed which didn't deserve to.
Mallrats. Cost $6 million to make, only made $2 million at the box office.
Big Trouble. Cost $40 - 45 million to make, only made $8 million at the box office.
Brotherhood in the Wolf. Did well everywhere else (especially in it's native country of France), but bombed here.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The Cable Guy. The worst marketing job, in history. THE WORST! Its a hilarious adult comedy, but was marketed as Jim Carrey's lastest kiddie-summer-goofathon. What a waste. Great flick.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Barry Lyndon
Babe: Pig In The City
I can't believe Requiem For A Dream did so bad. I watched it in a sold-out theater and believed everyone there was impressed by it too.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe Requiem For A Dream did so bad. I watched it in a sold-out theater and believed everyone there was impressed by it too.
Limited release. All sold out showings would still give ultra low box office when compared to your average wide release. Also, since it was released 'Unrated' it would never had racked up much boxoff despite the critial reception, since many theaters wouldn't screen it.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Actually Andy, Osmosis Jones did average to good reviews from numerous critics, if I remember correctly. I know Ebert gave it a positive one at the least.

I went with a friend of mine opening weekend, and it's a surprisingly smart little flick. She's in ultrasound and I'm studying pharmacy so we both have a heavy science background and there were a slew of jokes that would go over a lot of people's heads, but Osmosis Jones is as perfect a realization of a cop story in the body as you'd want. Very clever.

I also recommend the director's commentary on the DVD, which is one of my favorites. The people involved have no misconceptions about how the movie really did whatsoever, and they're funny and honest about it. Great little disc.

The real problem with most of these movies: they require thought to enjoy them. Audiences as a whole are stupid sheep who want their answers spoon-fed to them and don't want to enjoy anything on a more cerebral level. Not to say that all movies are like that or that all audiences are like that, but largely it is true.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Also, since it was released 'Unrated' it would never had racked up much boxoff despite the critial reception, since many theaters wouldn't screen it.
Actually, if it was rated 'NC-17', less theaters would have shown it. With it having 'Unrated', a few more theaters shown it. The only problem with it, Artisan never had it in more than 93 theaters at one time. If it was in more (which it could've been in), it would've passed it's $4.5 million budget.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Requiem for a Dream cost $4.5 million and only made $3.4 million.
Session 9 cost $1.5 million and was lucky to make $400,000.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I went with a friend of mine opening weekend, and it's a surprisingly smart little flick. She's in ultrasound and I'm studying pharmacy so we both have a heavy science background and there were a slew of jokes that would go over a lot of people's heads, but Osmosis Jones is as perfect a realization of a cop story in the body as you'd want. Very clever.
Yeah, I think that's what I really responded to about the movie. I was never very good at science but from what little I do know about the human body, it seemed like for all its humor, it played pretty fairly with how the body really functions. Clever indeed :)
Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm remembering another WB animation film that bombed as well - Iron Giant. I don't remember that making very much money, despite good reviews. Cats Don't Dance was another one. What was going on with that studio?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Osmosis Jones was great for the most part (some of the live-action stuff was a little bland compared to the excellent animated sequences!) I think it was downright wrong for WB to not give credit to the animation director(s) for exchange of only giving credit to the Farrelys...who only directed a small part of the film! That's like The Wizard of Oz giving full credit to King Vidor instead of Victor Fleming (although, Vidor should have gotten a little credit for the bookend scenes)

The only reason it bombed was because WB severely screwed up the ad campaign.

Some others...

UHF (again, poor marketting. It was released right when Batman was released, so of course it bombed!)

Fantasia (Just ahead of its time...still just as good!)

Citizen Kane (Caused only by the moronic press at the time)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (I still can't see how this movie did so poorly! The kids weren't seeing A Clockwork Orange, were they?)

It's A Wonderful Life (Again, how did this do so poorly??!)

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Iron Giant springs to mind. Possibly the best animated feature of the past decade, and it dies at the box office because, after "Quest for Camelot" WB execs want to distance themselves from animation. Sad sad sad.
UHF definitely deserved better, Ebert's review kills me, he just missed the bus on this movie entirely.
Final Fantasy, this one will be up for a lot of debate. A lot of people really despise this film. I personally thought it was the best sci-fi film of the summer. Read that, *SCI-FI* not action. There is a huge distinction. I found it to be thought provoking and interesting. To those who say it had no plot, I say you didn't pay attention. If anything, the film had an over abundance of plot that required a lot more thought from its audience. Which, I think, is perhaps why it bombed, people went in expecting action, and found themselves watching a thought provoking film about the nature of the spirit and existence.
Road to El Dorado A very fun animated romp, unfairly burdened with the rumour that its lead characters were gay. I thought the film was great fun, with a very simple plot which provided the perfect vehicle for the characters to play in.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I liked Final Fantasy. I agree that it's a different kind of sci-fi movie, and certainly not an action one. Doesn't look perfect, but I think it's a fine little movie. I think expectations killed that one more than anything.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
My pick is the MST3K movie since it had a very limited release (it was showed in only 2 theaters here in MN, the place where it should have done some business) and made $1 million of it's $2 million budget.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Cutthroat Island. I believe I am the only person to see this twice in the theater (although I was employed there, so it's not like I was a paying customer). Great fun, possibly Renny Harlin's best movie, and will forever be known for having the worst cost/ticket sales ratio in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks