Bohlender Graebener: The best looking ribbon speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenG, Feb 22, 2002.

1. BenG

BenG Agent

Still searching for a good dipole/ribbon based speaker, and I ran across these:
    [​IMG]
    These have got to be the best looking speakers I've ever seen. Anyone heard them? I've been looking at Maggie MMGs, but these might be worth the extra cash!

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Paging John Kotches......

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Why don't you take a look at Soundline Audio speakers. Also good looking IMO and uses BG ribbons. The aforementioned Mr. K. owns a pair, and I just purchased a multichannel set myself [​IMG] .
    Doug

5. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Ben, I don't know how they sound but ubid.com always has these up for auction. So if you do decide on these, check them out, BUT beware of the shipping! [​IMG]

6. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

The best place to buy the BG's is ubid, they typically go for half or less of MSRP. It does take a little patience for the right kind of auction to come around (many units, no reserve). I picked up 6 520DXs and 1 220DX through ubid. I am very happy with the 520's but much less so with the 220. The 220 needs about an 8 dB boost relative to my 520's in order to have equal volume levels all around. If I could go with another 520 for the front center, I would.

Also, there is a definite vertical sweet-spot with these. The act of standing up from a chair makes a very dramatic illustration of the vertical difference in the sound-field - it is hard to describe, kind of like a loss of fullness in the sound, maybe it is just a perceptual thing and the only difference is that it isn't as loud when your ears are near the top of the speaker. I bought the 520's hoping for a good sound from a standing position, but it looks like I would need at least another foot or two of ribbon to make standing feasible.

The brushed aluminum is distracting in a home theater setting, I ended up buying some of that acoustically transparent black speaker-grill cloth and draping pieces of over from front three speakers to keep the reflections down.

If you go with the BG's you probably should go with seperates. There are reports of people happy with them running off small (50-60W) receivers, but they are 4 ohm speakers which most receivers can't drive without much distortion - I think the people with the small receivers just don't know what they are missing because one of the key benefits of these speakers is having just one x-over down around 500Hz which makes for very clean, undistorted vocals. I run my set off 3 A200x3 Acurus amps which can do ~300W/channel into 4 ohms. Even with the volume all the way up, the speakers play cleanly (and freaking loud too, in part probably due to the line-source vs point-source dispersal pattern).

And, yes they are damn sexy looking. I bought them unheard because they looked so cool and what little information I could find on the net was pretty positive. Other than the volume issues with the 220, I am very happy with the purchase.