What's new

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That is what the film suggests, yes.

The film suggests that Freddie Mercury left Queen and broke up the band to pursue a solo career, and that while making his solo album, that Mercury got AIDS. In the film, it's Mercury's realization that his life will soon be coming to an end that is the motivation for him reuniting with Queen and accepting the offer to play at Live Aid.

In real life, the band did not break up before Live Aid, and Mercury did not have AIDS when he performed at Live Aid. He wasn't diagnosed with AIDS until years after Live Aid.

The entire film is structured around the Live Aid performance, with everything in the story leading up to that one moment - and that just wasn't anywhere close to the reality of the situation.

I agree, the inaccuracies bothered me. The film also shows him meeting Mary (Lucy Boynton) the night he hooked up with Brian May and what eventually became Queen which isn't so. It does bother me that people will see the film and believe it is what really happened. I enjoyed it immensely but principally for the music and concert sequences which are awesome. But like with historical films, people need to remember just because they show something in a movie doesn't mean it really happened. This isn't a documentary, it's a fabricated entertainment. Perhaps it should have been called Bohemian Fantasy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying that the movie informs us that the band broke up then reformed for Live Aide?

That is what the film suggests, yes.

The film suggests that Freddie Mercury left Queen and broke up the band to pursue a solo career, and that while making his solo album, that Mercury got AIDS. In the film, it's Mercury's realization that his life will soon be coming to an end that is the motivation for him reuniting with Queen and accepting the offer to play at Live Aid.

In real life, the band did not break up before Live Aid, and Mercury did not have AIDS when he performed at Live Aid. He wasn't diagnosed with AIDS until years after Live Aid.

The entire film is structured around the Live Aid performance, with everything in the story leading up to that one moment - and that just wasn't anywhere close to the reality of the situation.

The movie doesn't suggest the band split up in the early 80s and reunited for Live Aid - it says it.

When Freddie tries to get them back together, Roger even says something like "but we haven't played together for years!"

This is true - if 2 months since their last gig is "years". Maybe Roger counts in dog years.

The 1984-85 tour ended mid-May 1985, almost exactly 2 months before Live Aid, whereas the movie wants us to believe the band had been kaput since like 1982. It's ridiculous.

And don't get me started on the rest of the idiocy the movie generates related to Live Aid! <_<<_<<_<

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The more I think about it the more I like it. I liked it more than A Star Is Born.

Me, too, most certainly. (But didn't take any thinking at all.)

I'm a rock fan, but Queen has never been one of my top favorites. I do realize how iconic their music is and how ingrained it is in my mind.

I loved the film so much. Not being a die-hard fan, the inaccuracies were not noticed or didn't bother me. Rami was fantastic, and the concert sequences were terrific. It's just one of those films that reinforced why I love rock so much.

(On a side note, it made me think what it must have been like to be on the far reaches of Wembley Stadium -- and here I am complaining when I'm a stone's throw away from the stage at Blaisdell or T-Mobile or MGM Grand. And I can't even imagine the parking and the traffic. . .!!)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it. Entertaining but empty calories. If you leave this film thinking you know the real story of Queen/Freddy you’d be very mistaken. I don’t know why they couldn’t have stuck more to the truth. For example, while I don’t know exactly the relationship Freddie has with his parents, the animosity that the movie depicted between Freddie and Bomi Bulsara seemed totally contrived just to have the typical “reunion”/final moment of acceptance at the end. I don’t know why they needed to create the false drama of the band breaking up. They were already on the ropes before Live Aid. Their popularity, at least in America, had significantly waned. They also took a considerable amount of heat for some politically questionable performances in Sun City in South Africa during apartheid and perfomances in South America under dictatorships. These were the reasons why they were not initially invited to Live Aid.

It must be said that the performances were solid. Malek may not have looked exactly like Freddie but it seemed he pretty perfectly captured the on stage mannerisms. The one who played Brian May, uncanny, could have easily passed for May in real life. Thought they went a bit bayfaced for Taylor and as for Tim from JP as Deacon.....well I don’t know, no one knows anything about Deacon.

Couple of things I found interesting was the “We Are The Champions” was never once mentioned until it was played at Live Aid and the press conference scene where Freddie seemed to invoke comparisons to a certain world leader.

And lastly, I don’t get were these accusations of “straightwashing” are coming from. The gay lifestyle of Freddie seemed to me to be well covered.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And like I said. Most. Not all. Imo.
Are those same people that care about the inaccuracies have the same level of care for other biopics they liked or enjoyed that weren't accurate? That's the question each of us have to answer for ourselves. For most of my childhood I thought George Custer lived and died as indicated In "They Died with their Boots On" and the same with "The Charge of the Light Brigade" as well as dozens of other such films as biopics and historical events.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I’m usually not worried about it.
Might be that since I grew up during this that I’m extra aware and it could bother me more for that reason.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Might be that since I grew up during this that I’m extra aware and it could bother me more for that reason.

That's a lot of it. None of us remember the events in "Lawrence of Arabia" but I'm betting most of us remember Live Aid!

It's also more grating because some of the surviving band members signed off on it. They lived it and still said "go ahead and make up all sorts of nonsense" - that bugs me more!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You haven’t seen it yet? Jeez Tony. Go see it and then maybe you can come back here and bitch like Colin!:D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I probably wait till home option is available.
My buddy wanted to go but he still hasn’t let me know when he can go. Oh well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's a lot of it. None of us remember the events in "Lawrence of Arabia" but I'm betting most of us remember Live Aid!

It's also more grating because some of the surviving band members signed off on it. They lived it and still said "go ahead and make up all sorts of nonsense" - that bugs me more!
If they're fine with it then I'm fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks