What's new

Boeing 7E7 "Dreamliner" To Be Approved For Manufacturing On Monday Dec. 15th (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Speaking of crossing the Atlantic on two engines, anybody see "Mayday" on the Nat. Geo. channel a few weeks ago? It describes the longest glide ever done in a jet airline (which is like 15 minutes) from 39k feet, a TransAct Airbus A something or other was on the way to Lisbon, Portugal from Canada somewhere and they had a fuel leak. The pilots didn't realize this and when trying to balance the fuel tanks (to make a long story short) basically cleared out ALL their fuel just north of the Azores.

In the end, the pilot and copilot managed to glide the aircraft into the AFB on the Azores just barely with no loss of life.

Of course, it turns out the maintanence crew of TransAct replaced a hydraulic fitting that was ever so slightly smaller than the correct one as they used the wrong part without thinking of the consequences. This fitting was rubbing on the right engine's fuel line eventually completely shearing it off and then the pilots made a mistake of sending fuel from the left engine to the right, thereby draining their fuel supply over the atlantic.

Jay

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I still do not like the idea of crossing large bodies of water with only two engines. That bothers me more than anything else. To me there is nothing like standing in a waiting area and seeing a 747 with four RR engines waiting to take you up. I find it reassuring.
Do a search for ETOPS certification. Here's one article but there are many more better.

http://www.aircraft-commerce.com/art...rations698.pdf

it is quite a lenghty process to get ETOPS certified. The requirements ensure that a twin engine pond hop are safe, you basically can make land on one engine at all times, though it's a bit more complicated than that and I don't have enough understadning of the certification process to explain it. Best to search. Rest assured a 777 and a 747 or 340 do not take nearly the same route across the north atlantic. The point should also be made that up to it's single engine service ceiling, a twin can fly on one engine until it runs out of fuel, or until the terrain meets your single engine service ceiling, then you got problems, but
on a turine that isn't likely to happen. No clue where a 77 SESC is, probably in the teens somewhere, just a guess.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Heavy wake turbulence rules apply to the B757, despite a takeoff weight of less than 300,000 pounds. The fact that they slow to as low as 120 knotts on final (and I have seen this) is what makes them such a pain to work. The mandatory 5 miles behind a 757 can be lost really quickly.
:D :emoji_thumbsup:
long time no see!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Never been on one; but I'm told
the take-off in one is akin to a rocket "blast-off" (well, somewhat anyway ). Super steep climb-out after t/o.
Steepest climbout I've ever experienced was on 777, early flight. It felt like he was shooting for a low-earth orbit, and the level-out caused a "WHOA!" out of nearly the entire cabin.:) I was troubled.

The 777 is the nicest ride I've had. I've been on the 737, 757, 767 (to Germany), and 777s, but never a 747. One day, I'll catch that big Virgin 74 to London.:)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if I was to take the virgin 74, I think I'd spend the extra grand or whatever and go business class if I could afford it :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I was pricing out the cost of a coach seat to London vs. first glass, and the difference was unreal. Coach seats were around $1000, or less. First class was close to $13,000!! These prices were from a few different online ticket agencies (Expedia, Orbitz, and the like). Does this sound right?

Brian

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
yep, I flew from denver to frankfurt on lufthansa, in business class. My company has a good "agreement" with lufthansa and we paid 2 or 3 thousand for the fare. The guy at the ticket counter in denver couldn't believe the price, he said they're normally 6 thousand bucks, he did mention 1st class is 12 or so thousand. Which airline were you pricing out of curiousity? I'd expect BA to be a little more because of the level of service.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think the airlines were either United or British Airways. I did go to the British Airways website and it was pretty similar to the other sites.

Then I priced a first class ticket to Paris, and it was considerably less.

Brian

P.S.: Patsy and Eddie?

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever happened to the MD-11? It looked like a DC-10, but it was a little bit bigger. I remember watching them fly over my college campus in the 80s during test flights from the Long Beach McDonnell Douglas plant.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
There are a bunch of British Airways flights from the USA which go through Heathrow. When I flew to Paris this summer to see the tour, my round trip airfare was like $450 roundrip on a direct flight on an Airbus.

Jay

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
jay-
BA had a sale about a month back, I got 2 roundtrip tickets direct from denver to heathrow for 700 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks