Boeing 7E7 "Dreamliner" To Be Approved For Manufacturing On Monday Dec. 15th

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

[​IMG]

Boeing Set to Approve New Aircraft
    By REUTERS

Published: December 13, 2003

CHICAGO, Dec. 12 (Reuters) _ - The board of the Boeing Company is expected to approve the marketing of the new 7E7 commercial jet on Monday.

The 7E7, known as the Dreamliner, would be the company's first significant jet program since it began work on the 777 in 1990, and its third attempt just this decade at developing a new aircraft. The 7E7 base and stretch aircraft would carry 200 to 250 passengers. The jet, being designed in Seattle, is expected to use 20 percent less fuel.

The board will meet here on Sunday and Monday for the first time under its new chief executive, Harry C. Stonecipher, who has already expressed strong approval of the program.

"This plane is critical to our product strategy going forward,'' said Randy Baseler, vice president for marketing at Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "And Harry has informed us he will ask the board to approve it.''

Even with authorization from the board, an official start of the 7E7 program would still be months away. The aircraft would not actually be in service until 2008. If the plane proved too costly to build, it could still be killed under Mr. Stonecipher, who ended other aircraft programs when he led McDonnell Douglas.

Boeing is expected to go forward with the 7E7, analysts say, because the company needs it if it hopes to remain competitive with Airbus of Europe in commercial airplanes.

"I think they've been pressured into it,'' said Richard Aboulafia, an analyst with the Teal Group. "If they don't launch it, they're sending a very negative message to their customers and to the market.''

Mr. Aboulafia estimates Boeing could sell at least 1,500 aircraft just for the basic model if all goes well.

This year, Airbus will for the first time deliver more planes to the world's airlines than Boeing, around 300 to Boeing's expected 280. Its superjumbo A380, which can carry 555 passengers, has already won more than 100 orders and is expected to start flying in 2006.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If this is the jet I'm thinking of, there still is a big question where the thing will be built. Alot of cities ponied up some cash to offer them some incentives to build it in their city(including mine) but the rumors indicate that Everett was going to be the place though that hasn't been confirmed yet...

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

with the sudden switch in CEO and focus I'm glad they're moving forward. I can't wait to see one fly [​IMG]

4. Peter Kline

[​IMG]
    Take a seat!

5. wally

wally Second Unit

6. Peter Kline

Everett, Washington is said to be the manufacturing site. Boeing supposedly will anounce a major purchase by Japan Airlines on 12/16.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

SUWEEET.
    Time to kick some airbus ass [​IMG]

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

9. Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula Stunt Coordinator

Good news for the economy up here in Washington.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I was somewhat surprised to discover that the sleek-looking Boeing 7E7 will be a widebodied jetliner. I was earlier thinking it'd probably be a single-aisled, narrow-bodied aircraft.

It seems it'll be similar in nature to the existing B767 (twin-jet, twin aisles, approx. 225 seats)...but the 7E7 will have a much-larger wingspan (of 193 feet (!), for the extra range).

To put that in perspective, consider that Boeing's largest aircraft, the beautiful & mighty B747, has a wingspan of 195.4 feet (for the "Classic" 747-200 model that
    is -- the newer B747-400s have a span of 211 feet).

Boeing's 747 is still an awe-inspiring thing to watch take-off and land. Just amazing that that much bulk can get airborne. (Never been on board one though. [​IMG] Maybe some day.)

Some additional Boeing 7E7 data for those interested [​IMG]......

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/7e7/flash.html

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/7e7/facts.html

[​IMG]

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

12. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

13. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

So is the 7E7 being designed to compete with the A330? I love airplanes but I don't keep up with the business side too much.

I can't wait to see an A380 taking off. I remember the first time I saw a 747-400 fly over my house (I grew up a few miles from MSP int'l). What a monster.

What happened to Boeing anyway? Did they simply become a noncompetitive bureaucratic mess, growing softon gov't contracts?

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I love the Airbus's used by Frontier. Every seat has a tv screen with DirectTV, no first or business class. Extra space between your row and the row infront of you. And the fairs are cheap!! They have quickly become my #1 preferred airline.

So have airplane manufacturer's stepped away from the super sonic fliers?

16. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Washington? I read somewhere that it was going to be the one (near) Seattle. I visited that plant once. Impressive, most impressive.

Cees

17. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Seattle is in Washington, not to be confused with DC. [​IMG]

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  19. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

20. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Unfortunately neither Fronteir, nor Jet Blue, Virgin, Hooters, or any of these other cool new fangled airlines fly out of Seattle. Just another reason it sucks to be me. [​IMG]