What's new

Body of Proof - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I found out today that Geoffrey Arend who plays nerdy Ethan on the show is married to hot Christina Hendricks from Mad Men fame.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert you need to stay more up to date on your celebrity gossip.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I like the show so far too, and it's fun seeing different sections of Philly pop up although the building they work in is either cgi or in another city.
Also has Delaney smiled yet or has her face moved yet.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I found out today that Geoffrey Arend who plays nerdy Ethan on the show is married to hot Christina Hendricks from Mad Men fame.

Crawdaddy

In that case, that man is my hero. Maybe there's hope for the rest of us.

Re: Not shooting in Philly. The reality is that very few shows are shot where they are set. Most are shot in Los Angeles and do maybe a week or two shooting exteriors with the main cast and maybe aother few days with a second unit shooting background shots. (Those straight-down from a helicopter bits so popular these days are often stock footage purchased from companies that specialize in that kind of thing.) It is just easier to get guest cast, special equipment and trained stunt people if you're shooting in or near a major production hub like L.A., N.Y. or Toronto.

Re: The "non-believer cop". Heck, he thinks normal police work is more likely to produce results than theories from an M.E. Chances are his 20 years or more on the police force support this view, so it isn't surprising that he remains skeptical of Megan's insights after a couple of cases that could be chalked up to luck. Based on the cop's experience the odds are she'll hit just as long a losing streak at some point. And there are already indications that he may be coming around. Compare this with supposedly brilliant FBI Agent Dana Scully who played the skeptic role for years on the X-Files, long beyond the point where the evidence should have convinced that the paranormal existed.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What's weird about this show is that it's shot in, I believe, Providence RI. If you're shooting in one Northeast city as another Northeast city, why not just set the show in the city you're shooting in? Would this show be less effective with a Rhode Island M.E. instead of a Pennsylvania M.E.?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
What's weird about this show is that it's shot in, I believe, Providence RI. If you're shooting in one Northeast city as another Northeast city, why not just set the show in the city you're shooting in? Would this show be less effective with a Rhode Island M.E. instead of a Pennsylvania M.E.?
Philly versus Providence. With all due respect to Providence, it's still a small city in comparison to the City of Brotherly Love so the perception of a big city ME wins out in the minds of those that make the decision. If I had to guess the reason why it's not being filmed in Philly is because they probably got some serious tax breaks from Providence and RI.

Crawdaddy

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

In that case, that man is my hero. Maybe there's hope for the rest of us.

Re: Not shooting in Philly. The reality is that very few shows are shot where they are set. Most of shot in Los Angeles and do maybe a week or two shooting exteriors with the main cast and maybe aother few days with a second unit shooting background shots.
Joe
And sometimes they don't disguise it very well. On a recent episode of Suspect Behavior that was set in Indianapolis, during a couple of the exterior shots with the main actors, there were mountains seen in the background. I have lived here for a while and never noticed them. To give them credit, the stock stuff was great and the script used vey accurate names for places and streets.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
And sometimes they don't disguise it very well.

The worst was Silk Stalkings, which I don't think I would have watched at all if Mitzi Kaptur weren't so darned cute. Allegedly set in Palm Beach, FL, an area so flat that the highest point within 30 miles is a 50 foot mound above a landfill, the show was full of mountains in the background, killer hills, the wrong kind of trees (even the palm trees) and lots of stories set "in the bad part of town" - of which there is none. (The Town of Palm Beach, which occupies about 3/4ths of Palm Beach Island, has its own police force. The nearest "bad parts" are across the intracoastal waterway in the nearby cities of West Palm Beach and Lake Worth, which have their own police forces and where the PBPD has no jurisdiction. Palm Beachers like to pretend that all the bridges are drawbridges because of the boat traffic in the intracoastal. I happen to know that they view the waterway as a moat, and the drawbridges as their first line of defense against the riff-raff. )

Regards,

Joe

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Basically like Memphis Beat, filming in one city, but taking place in another in the same part of the country.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Walter C
Basically like Memphis Beat, filming in one city, but taking place in another in the same part of the country.
Not exactly. Memphis and New Orleans are both Deep South cities that have the Mississippi river and a fair amount of history in common. Providence is in Rhode Island, a New England state, and beyond that part of the Northeast. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania, a Mid-Atlantic state that has more in common, culturally and geographically, with Delaware, Maryland and even parts of Ohio than it does with Northern New Jersey or southern New York, to say nothing of anything further east of the Hudson river. It is more like shooting a series set in Charleston, SC in Jacksonville, FL. You could say that both cities are "in the same part of the country" (the south) but you'd be missing a lot.

Regards,

Joe

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Like the show, but wonder if it can survive with so many other forensic style shows. Various CSI and NCIS episodes, along with one of the best, Bones.

Might find an audience, since people like me have given up on CSI and CSI Miami. Still watch the others so will give this one a try.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not exactly. Memphis and New Orleans are both Deep South cities that have the Mississippi river and a fair amount of history in common. Providence is in Rhode Island, a New England state, and beyond that part of the Northeast. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania, a Mid-Atlantic state that has more in common, culturally and geographically, with Delaware, Maryland and even parts of Ohio than it does with Northern New Jersey or southern New York, to say nothing of anything further east of the Hudson river. It is more like shooting a series set in Charleston, SC in Jacksonville, FL. You could say that both cities are "in the same part of the country" (the south) but you'd be missing a lot.

Regards,

Joe
I understand your point, but I'm not so sure I agree with you as they're just filming in Providence and they're not talking about anything culturally common with Philly. In many of these old Northeast cities, they can all look similar in some neighborhoods except to those that actually live in those cities.

heddjames

Auditioning
Real Name
hedda
Which episode was that scene from... the Body of Proof ep when Jeri Ryan is wearing that red dress and getting ready for her date? The funny thing is this... I saw that scene when I was watching the episode on TV during it's broadcast. However, when I've tried to find it on the ABC website, I can't find it. Did they edit it out of the version that's shown on their website? If so... why????

thanks!

There are only "x" number of minutes for story per hour. With shows not only getting squeezed by more commercials but are having to yield precious minutes to "reality" competitions about races, survival, dancing and singing that run over the standard time limits week after week. They've already squeezed and sped-up the closing credits to air them over the promos for the following show (to the point where the unions are really upset) so the last thing left to cut was the main title squence, which used to be a kind of art form. Now you get a few seconds of music and a title card, and then the credits run over the action at the top of act one. (And even at that shows like Castle tend to run a minute or two shorter than similar dramas on other networks.) Pity.

Re: Body of Proof. I'm enjoying it. Within a couple of episodes they've already moved beyond a lot of what people saw as cliches in the pilot, and I'm enjoying the characters. I do think that Jeri Ryan, especially, needs to be "fleshed out" more, as it were. But that red dress she was wearing while getting ready for her date goes a long way toward making me forgive the producers. And of course I've had a mad crush on Dana Delaney ever since and Marg Helgenberger were heating up China Beach. (Heck, I actually went back and watched Desperate Housewives for a awhile there when Dana was on.) It could eventually lose my interest, but for now I'll be sticking with the show.

Regards,

Joe

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well they have at least come to town within the last year to film some stock shots. I've seen a few cut-ins of corners and streets that are real Philly places including one of a steak sandwich place that is in my old neighborhood.
What i'm not sure of is if that corner steak shop is really there or if they fixed up the corner for the shot.

I'd vote for the latter as this is a very bad part of the city in the Kensington neighborhood and there really isn't very much there that looks as good as the shot of that street corner looked.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Crawdaddy
Speaking of Christina Hendricks, she guest starred on this week's episode and shared all of her scenes with her husband. Those two together just doesn't compute to me.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Speaking of Christina Hendricks, she guest starred on this week's episode and shared all of her scenes with her husband. Those two together just doesn't compute to me.
Just another one of those show biz odd couples. The Babe-Troll combo is surprisingly common. See Lyle Lovett & Julia Roberts, Marilyn Manson & Dita Von Tease, Gene Simmons & Shannon Tweed, Billy Bob Thornton & ... well, everybody he's ever dated or married.

These guys must have something going for them. Maybe they're all hung like Seabiscuit. Or maybe women aren't kidding in all those polls when they say a sense of humor is one of the things they most look for in a man. I'm hoping it turns out to be number two, because that would mean I still have a shot at scoring a hottie.

heddjames:

I'll have to try to find an episode synopsis to nail down which one had Jeri in the red dress. I know it as in the tag, and I'm certain it wasn't the pilot. I'm thinking episode two or three. Probably three - "Helping Hand", the one where the victim is Megan's former patient and where she starts trying to take an interest in the people around her. I don't think she would have noticed Ryan's dress or asked about her date in another episode.

Later,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's made it clear that ABC is airing the episodes out of order. This episode took place somewhere between the second episode, where Hunt smothers her daughter and the fourth episode, where the school project garners her daughter's respect. I hate it when networks do this, because it's hard to know where we stand with the characters.

It was nice to see bald cop on the ball, though.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The order was noticble if you've watched all the episodes.

Yeah, it was very odd. But it does help explain the new boyfriend that Jerri Ryan's been hiding from everyone in the several episodes that aired before that. They seemed to be really playing that up as if the audience should know, or guess, what she was hiding. Now that we've seen hints of an attraction between her character and Megan's ex, the paranoia about her new guy makes sense. Can't wait to see that blow up. I just hope they show the remaining episodes in order so it all makes sense.

The other thing that seems odd is that the detectives are in one then out and so forth. What gives?

Supporting players, even ones in the main titles, are often contracted for "x" number of episodes as a minimum, with the studio having the option to use them more (and first call on their services.) This allows a show to have a larger pool of recurring characters while holding down costs. For a time on Star Trek (TOS) you would have either Sulu or Chekhov, but not both in the same episode, because the budget didn't allow it. It also allows for the actors to do outside projects while still keeping a regular gig, so both sides can benefit.

Regards,

Joe

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd chime in. Didn't find a thread for the current season. Just saw the season finale.
The last few episodes sure saw a lot of ramping up of the action and large stories like the killer spreading the plague virus. This season finale was certainly very tense as it ended.
I've been watching this series since it started as it very quietly carried on. I liked how it was developing from Jeri Ryan's character Kate's up and downs, and Peter's storyline with his girlfriend ending so badly to Megan's new boyfriend Apollo. :) My impression is it was on the bubble. So I was continually surprised to see it continue and thought the episode where Megan's daughter discovers she has diabetes was the finale. Then thought the two parter with the plague was the finale. Tonight's finale was certainly ramping up the action even more with the killer and how it ended. So as the series carried on, it seemed they were tossing in all kinds of stuff to keep the audience. It made the show interesting, without seemingly going outside the bounds of the characters. Well, the plague episode pushed it a bit with Kate's recovery.
I like the show. I like the characters. Hope it comes back, it's an agreeable series with an attractive cast, but nothing too special. I hope Pan Am comes back too, a much more interesting series. :)
ABC keeps canceling everything. I'm sure they'll cancel the Titanic mini series this Saturday and show the Cameron film instead on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks