Body Heat question (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_H, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Steve_H

Steve_H Auditioning

Just watched it again last night. I always have this question whenever I watch it.

How does the boathouse explode without Matty being killed?

Ned found out it was rigged from his friend (Mickey Rourke). If there was another way to trigger the bomb, I would think he would have told Ned.

2. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I can't answer your question, but this movie is included in Ebert's Great Movies book. Is it that good? I only saw it once, years ago, but I remember not being particularly impressed.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"Matty"'s friend, the real Matty, is the one who opened the door, causing the boathouse to explode. Remember, the femme fatale "Matty" (Turner) knew that her "friend" would be ID'd as Matty--getting the fake Matty off the hook, a lot of cash from her husband's estate, and Ned stashed conveniently out of the way in the slammer. Brilliant.

4. Steve_H

Steve_H Auditioning

Jack-

In the scene, fake "Matty" is seen walking to the boathouse, after Ned said that he did not find his glasses there. Right after that, the boathouse explodes.

I think the real Matty was already dead in the boathouse and somehow "Matty" triggered it to explode. The real Matty wasn't even in the scene.

What an evil web she spun!!!

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You know, I have to revisit this excellent noir--my DVD copy has been sitting on the shelf for maybe three years, still in its shrinkwrap. Thanks for the clarification. I'm in the mood to see this again.

7. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

8. Craig

Craig Second Unit

The first bomb the Mickey Rourke character made, that Hurt used, had a delay switch. Mickey Rourke made a point of explaining it to Hurt. I'm pretty sure later on when he tells William Hurt about the bomb he gave to Kathleen Turner, he either states or implies it has a delay also.

The other girl (the real Matty) is already dead and in the boathouse. Presumably all Kathleen Turner's character would have to do was push the door open, then she'd have enough time to run the other way (it's wired to the door, Hurt even sees the wire when he peeks into the boathouse).

I really liked this movie. I haven't seen it in a couple of years but I think it's held up well. In addition to Hurt and Turner I also like Ted Danson's character.

To me it's a real noir classic and the super low price (I've seen it for $9.99) makes it a real bargain. When someone asks about older movies (hey, it IS over 20 years old you know) I always recommend Body Heat and Cool Hand Luke. They're cheap and both have a decent anamorphic transfer.

9. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Yeah, this is one "hot" film for its era - that's for sure.

(Love the scene where Hurt throws the chair throw the door to get inside and be with Kathleen Turner - that is an all-time erotic scene, without showing a thing.)

I always figured Turner had the boathouse rigged, expecting to send Hurt in to set it off. But I haven't watched in a long time, so maybe my memory is failing me. Hmm, time to spin that DVD again - and enjoy.

10. Lou Grasek

Lou Grasek Extra

Body Heat always reminds me of another erotic show nothing movie and that is The Postman Always Rings Twice with Jessica Lang and Jack Nicholson. Similar plot too.

Lou

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I remember seeing this and, while I thought it was good, it felt very dated - very "80's". I can't remember why really but it had a stylistic niggle there for me. Nothing that would stop me picking it up cheap, though...

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    The first film script I ever read. I was spoiled for life.
    It IS that good...[​IMG]

13. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Mickey Rourke's character warned Hurt's character that {paraphrasing} "that dame" or "some dame" had been asking him about how to rig a delay fuse. Obviously, that was Matty, and her bomb was rigged to go off either if Hurt opened it or as time expired.

14. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

It also has a deft, tongue-in-cheek sense of humor running throughout... William Hurt's opening-credits tryst with the nurse (in uniform!) -- played by Meg Kasdan, IIRC... Those icecubes in the bath, the clown behind the wheel, Ted Danson's slow-shuffle, and Danson's anti-tobacco quip ("No thanks, I'll just breathe the air.").
    It would be fun to pair it with "Double Indemnity," perhaps its most obvious antecedent, in a noir/neo-noir double feature.
    Together with his contributions as co-screenwriter to "The Empire Strikes Back" (dollars-to-doughnuts it was Kasdan who penned the "rascal" dialogue), Kasdan sure was on a hot streak back then.
    And yes, John Barry's score was terrific!
    [​IMG]

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I consider Chinatown, Body Heat, L.A. Confidential to be the 3 best neo noir films.

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, I also agree with everyone that says that Matty killed her look alike already, probably had her meet at the boathouse to give her the extra money she was blackmailing her for.
    The intent all along was to have her look-alike's dead body in the boathouse, and then either have him open the door and leave their 2 bodies behind as the murderers who messed up, or perhaps even better to leave him to take the blame for all of it including her death.
    I always suspected that she was lax in her dealings with Rourke simply because she knew that he would tell Hurt and then she could do her dramatic walk off with the delay/remote trigger.
    So either it went exactly how she planned (him seeing the bomb rig) or she was quick on her feet and adjusted her plan. Having a delay or a remote trigger ready would seem to imply that she anticipated Hurt finding out about the bomb and intended for things to go the way they went.
    Freakin' awesome film, basically a remake of Double Indemnity. But this film is one of those more rare examples of it being done very well, which gives people hope for future remakes. Too bad the success rate is 10% at best for these projects. [​IMG]

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

William Hurt & Kathleen Turner simply rule, and thought that Richard Crenna as her hubby wasn't that bad either.
    I am off to see this again
    [​IMG]

18. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I think it was intended that Hurt gets killed in the boathouse and be found along with the real Matty. I don't think Turner had planned to go to the boathouse.

Look at the final scene between Hurt & Turner. Oscar (the cop) arrives back up at the house. Hurt has his back to the driveway, but Turner can see him when he pulls up and steps out of the car. She's trapped at that point and uses the boathouse (and ensuing explosion) to make her getaway. Anyway, that's how I've always interpreted it. Turner goes to the boathouse because it's her only way out.

By the way, the poster for this movie looks great. Original theatrical versions can be had cheap. If you're at all interested in movie posters this is one to add to your collection.

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

[​IMG] Yes, a very important word. [​IMG]