What's new

Bobby Fischer Dies (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
Ex-chess champ Bobby Fischer dies - Other sports - MSNBC.com

I guess you could say he "went 'round the bend" in recent years.
I can remember watching PBS while the match with Spassky was going on. A guy in the studio on the phone to someone else in Iceland who was relaying the moves. The guy in the studio would then go on and on about the move and the next possible move by the other player.
"Must see TV " :rolleyes

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's too young. He finally found some peace, but I wish he'd found more during his life.

Rest in Peace, indeed, young genius!

Cees

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, it was a big event at the time. The first American World Chess Champion in a 100 years, coupled with the propaganda value of beating a Russian in the midst of the Cold War.

Too bad that he suffered such a decline in his later years.

RIP

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, he wasn't exactly on an even keel when he was winning chess matches rather than making offensive, bigoted comments. I too hope he has found peace as his was a deeply troubled soul.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes. In the youth of almost all, perhaps even all, child-prodigies, you'll find a parent/guardian (in Bobby's case it seems to have been his older sister) who appears to be a highly demanding, unreasonably ambitious and somehow failed person.

One of those two photographs gives me a shock.

Cees

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In his later years, he seemed to prove the old saying about there being a fine line between genius and insanity.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Hopefully he can now enjoy the peace that he obviously didn't enjoy in life. Seldom do you see such potential both brilliantly realized and tragically wasted in the same individual. A towering, yet deeply flawed man. May he rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks