Bob Hope video releases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jo_C, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

With the recent passing of Bob Hope at 100, it's time to address a bit some Bob Hope films that have been released to video...I'm talking about films that his company formerly owned that Columbia Pictures Television acquired, such as "The Lemon Drop Kid", "The Seven Little Foys" and "Cancel My Reservation".

Brentwood Video has released the official video versions of these films, though I have heard the quality of them should be better.

Columbia still owns the copyright on these films, but the underlying rights are now held by FremantleMedia North America (the successor in interest to Pearson Television and All American Television, which bought out most of the LBS library--Columbia's acquisition of the Hope-owned films were in a joint venture with LBS called CoLex Enterprises.

Perhaps Fremantle should, in the future, work with Hope Enterprises or whatever company holds the original negatives to these films and perhaps sublicense them to The Criterion Collection for a definitive reissue on DVD.

These films do deserve the high quality remastering and will do further justice to the life and career of Bob Hope. Let's hope! (no pun intended)

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Good idea.

But what I'd want most of Mr. Hope's career are:

—episodes of the Bob Hope TV series
    —extensive footage of his USO tours
    —complete NBC-TV specials

3. JasonPW

JasonPW Stunt Coordinator

I would like to see Bob's TV specials released uncut as well...but, as with any "variety" title, the dreaded (cue the organ music) MUSIC CLEARANCE ISSUES (moo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-ha-ha-ha-ha)may prevent this from happening.

Off on a tangent: The Respond2 Bob Hope DVD collection was good but not nearly as satisfying as their "Ultimate Carson" collection. That may just mean that Carson's wider array of comedic styles plays better then Hope's.

On television, Hope was Hope--whether he was barking out monologue jokes or playing a character in a sketch--and even the later, lamer specials were hugely popular. The jokes were the thing, and most of them were based on events of the day. Carson's "Carnac" and other costumed characters aren't quite as wrapped around the headlines. End of tangent.

JPW

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
  5. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Another reason to hate, HATE, Brentwood. Just because their DVD's are letter-of-the-law legal doesn't make them worth your money.

Getting quality transfers of the Hope Enterprises films would likely have to include Paramount as well. Even though they don't own the movies any more, they may likely have elements for them to aid restoration efforts, as they did (surprisingly) when Robert Harris did his Hitchcock restoration work. Then, one has to try convincing Sony Pictures and Fremantle that its an effort worth pursuing. Or throw enough money at them to just take the titles off their hands.

Anybody got a few spare millions to cut through the red tape?