What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

BOB HOPE Classic Comedy Collection - April 29th. (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Joined
May 7, 2001
Messages
1,544
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
Doug Bull
Universal have announced the "BOB HOPE Classic Comedy Collection" 4 disc set for April 29th.
The set contains 10 of his Paramount titles and is incredible value for only $13.99 at Amazon.

The titles are,
"Give me a Sailor"
"Thanks for the Memory"
"Never Say Die"
"The Cat and the Canary"
"The Ghost Breakers"
"Caught in the Draft"
"Nothing but the Truth"
"My Favorite Blonde"
"The Paleface"
"Sorrowful Jones"
bobhope jpg.jpg


Doug.
 

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
4,376
Real Name
Steve
This is a great bargain priced package for those who don't have the earlier releases. I do have the earlier ones, but hopefully this will entice others newer to the hobby to purchase and find out how good Hope's films from this era really are. Funny, funny stuff.

I agree with the post above above the Henry Aldrich films. I have never seen these on TV and they've never been on home video but their good reputation suggests they'd be fun viewing. Additionally, the actor who played Henry (Jimmy Lydon) is still with us and perhaps could do a filmed introduction to the films. Unfortunately the general obscurity of these films means Uni decision makers are probably unaware of their existence and unless someone internally champions their release, it likely won't happen. It is also possible that the films may need all new transfers from the original negatives/prints which would make this too costly for Uni.
 

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
8,613
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Steve...O said:
This is a great bargain priced package for those who don't have the earlier releases. I do have the earlier ones, but hopefully this will entice others newer to the hobby to purchase and find out how good Hope's films from this era really are. Funny, funny stuff.I agree with the post above above the Henry Aldrich films. I have never seen these on TV and they've never been on home video but their good reputation suggests they'd be fun viewing. Additionally, the actor who played Henry (Jimmy Lydon) is still with us and perhaps could do a filmed introduction to the films. Unfortunately the general obscurity of these films means Uni decision makers are probably unaware of their existence and unless someone internally champions their release, it likely won't happen. It is also possible that the films may need all new transfers from the original negatives/prints which would make this too costly for Uni.
TCM showed the Aldrich series about 10 years ago and they were in horrible shape. Way below their standards. There would be a need for work on the titles but they are fun and entertaining. They are part of American movie history and deserve to be available.
 

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2000
Messages
5,677
I'd like a set of the Olsen and Johnson films and a set of the Universal Ritz Brothers films. All of these have been locked away in their vaults forever with no official home video releases on any format and no TV broadcasts since 1970 that I'm aware of.
ahollis said:
Yawn. Already got these during the titles first release.Come on Universal, how about other classic Paramount titles such as the Henry Aldrich series or the Universal Olsen and Johnson titles.
 

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Joined
May 7, 2001
Messages
1,544
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
Doug Bull
Steve...O said:
This is a great bargain priced package for those who don't have the earlier releases. I do have the earlier ones, but hopefully this will entice others newer to the hobby to purchase and find out how good Hope's films from this era really are. Funny, funny stuff.
I have 4 of the titles, but certainly for only $13.99 getting the remaining 6 is still a cheap investment.

I just wish we could get decent copies of "The Seven Little Foys" and "Son of Paleface" possibly from Olive.
The blu-ray of "Son of Paleface" is substandard in my opinion.
 

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
8,613
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
I have 4 of the titles, but certainly for only $13.99 getting the remaining 6 is still a cheap investment.I just wish we could get decent copies of "The Seven Little Foys" and "Son of Paleface" possibly from Olive.The blu-ray of "Son of Paleface" is substandard in my opinion.
I agree with you on a decent THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS release but Shout did the best they could since the Hope Estate owns the titles and did not wish to spend the money to improve the transfers. Olive would have to make a deal with Hope Enterprises, Paramount does not control FOYS or SON OF PALEFACE and four others.
 

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
1,520
Real Name
Brian Camp
Randy Korstick said:
I'd like a set of the Olsen and Johnson films and a set of the Universal Ritz Brothers films. All of these have been locked away in their vaults forever with no official home video releases on any format and no TV broadcasts since 1970 that I'm aware of.
Speaking of Universal, I'd love to see the Donald O'Connor musicals, particularly the ones he made with Peggy Ryan. They were like the Mickey and Judy musicals, but with a male lead who was considerably less manic than Rooney, and a much better singer and dancer if you ask me.
 

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Joined
May 7, 2001
Messages
1,544
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
Doug Bull
Two other Bob Hope titles from the fifties that I would like Olive to release are "Beau James" & "Here Come The Girls"

It's not his best film, but for some reason I have always liked "Beau James" and as for "Here Come the Girls" well I love Rosemary Clooney, so I enjoy anything she is in.

The laserdisc of the latter looks good, so a DVD or Blu-ray should look even better.

Doug.
 

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
3,328
Real Name
Ray
This set follows the similar sets that Universal released for the Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields. I'm happy to see it released for those who don't have them and for casual buyers at Walmart. I too would like to see Universal release a lot more from their library, on blu and DVD.
 

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
1,520
Real Name
Brian Camp
Doug Bull said:
Two other Bob Hope titles from the fifties that I would like Olive to release are "Beau James" & "Here Come The Girls"

It's not his best film, but for some reason I have always liked "Beau James" and as for "Here Come the Girls" well I love Rosemary Clooney, so I enjoy anything she is in.

The laserdisc of the latter looks good, so a DVD or Blu-ray should look even better.

Doug.
For me, BEAU JAMES is valuable for its color location photography of New York City, including Washington Square Park, and an opening Times Square sequence narrated by Walter Winchell! Also, it's got Walter Catlett playing the legendary New York governor and presidential candidate Al Smith. How often did we get to see Al Smith portrayed on film? The only other times I can think of are a Walter Lantz cartoon in which he was caricatured and actual newsreel footage of him.

Hope is seriously miscast, though, as flashy Mayor Jimmy Walker. (Not that I can think of any '50s star who would have been ideal casting for the role. If Cagney had been younger and taller, maybe.) Of course, if they made the film today, they'd get Leonardo DiCaprio to play Walker. :wacko:
 

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Joined
May 7, 2001
Messages
1,544
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
Doug Bull
I know that Hope is hopelessly miscast and that the movie is quite disappointing, but there is something that draws me to it all the time.

Maybe it's just Walter Winchell's sentimental narration over the background "Manhattan" and "Will you love me in September" themes.
I do know that I've almost worn out the old Soundtrack LP since I first purchased it way back in '57.

More than ever now , I want "BEAU JAMES"

A friend of mine owned a 35mm print and in several scenes, when it was run without the correct aspect gate, the actors are shown standing (from lower legs to feet) in front of the bottom of the process screen. Let's hope the Cinemas got it right.

Doug.
 

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
699
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Randy Korstick said:
I'd like a set of the Olsen and Johnson films and a set of the Universal Ritz Brothers films. All of these have been locked away in their vaults forever with no official home video releases on any format and no TV broadcasts since 1970 that I'm aware of.
Universal's in the process of restoring the Aldriches. HENRY ALDRICH, EDITOR was shown at Cinecon two years ago and looked excellent.

Mike S.
 

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
3,328
Real Name
Ray
cadavra said:
Universal's in the process of restoring the Aldriches. HENRY ALDRICH, EDITOR was shown at Cinecon two years ago and looked excellent.

Mike S.
Great news. Any chance we'll get to see it out of special screenings?
 

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
8,613
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
cadavra said:
Universal's in the process of restoring the Aldriches. HENRY ALDRICH, EDITOR was shown at Cinecon two years ago and looked excellent.Mike S.
This is outstanding news. I enjoy this series more than Andy Hardy. Thanks
 

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
4,376
Real Name
Steve
cadavra said:
Universal's in the process of restoring the Aldriches. HENRY ALDRICH, EDITOR was shown at Cinecon two years ago and looked excellent.

Mike S.
Great news; thank you Mike! Hopefully Universal packages these for home video release as well.
 

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Joined
Mar 23, 2001
Messages
851
Location
Los Angeles
Real Name
John
I hope they do some updating of masters for this Bob Hope set. I have most of the earlier Bob Hope releases through Universal. The old DVD release of THE GHOST BREAKERS was superior to the last one. I don't know if the Uniiversal fire destroyed that master and they went with an even earlier one, but it was disappointing. At least I kept the older one.

For some reason, THE CAT AND THE CANARY had a bit of skips in the transfer. Kind of looked like some films that were from a Pal transfer. I hope that can be corrected. Some of the Hope films that were previously unavailable because of rights issues looked stunning on DVD.

Universal, in the old days, would remaster a film several times. I remember how much better BUCK PRIVATES looked after the initial laser disc release in various later showings on AMC, etc.
But Universal is a mixed bag now, and I will hold on to my previous DVDs just in case.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
353,151
Messages
5,009,400
Members
143,408
Latest member
augustosv
Recent bookmarks
0
Top