Bob Dylan: "Today's recordings sound atrocious"

Discussion in 'Music' started by GlennH, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  2. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Dylan was also quoted saying "You darn kids, stay off my lawn!" while shaking his fist.

I'm not the biggest Dylan fan, and I can agree with him that some CD's sound bad and then of course there's the whole argument about musicianship and such, but there are some pretty good musicians and albums out there. Apparently he's just not listening to the right ones.
    Not that he's released anything worthwhile in like 30 years. (Of course this is my snobby opinion.)

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I agree with him to a point. Most CDs I buy sound fine to me, but most of the music itself, particullarly Hip hop and R&B doesn't sound finished, more like demos.

You must of missed "Oh Mercy", Love & Theft" and "Time Out Of Mind", all very fine albums that I find myself listening to more than his more classically recognized output. I'm looking foward to his new one tomorrow.

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Bob Dylan: great songwriter, lousy singer.

But you want to know what's messed up? I'll hear a Bob Dylan cover and say,"Man, Bob Dylan sang it better."

I seriously can't explain this weird situation. Coincidently, my favorite Dylan song happens to be the one in which I think he sings the best, "Tangled Up In Blue".

Back to the topic though, I like vinyl better.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

so dylan's brief foray into sacd was not a success?

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

They were all hybrids so there is no accurate way to find out how well the sacd feature sold.

Same situation with all those Talking Heads DualDiscs, which have video bonus features that could appeal to anyone; and Beck's deluxe edition of Guero, a CD+dvd-audio package also with video content plus this package was the only way to get the speical CD with the seven bonus tracks, so that messes up the buying statistics even more.