What's new

Bob Dylan SACD Reissues Info (1 Viewer)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
FYI, Circuit City had every one of the new Dylan reissues.
They were all $13.99 except for Blonde on Blonde which was $14.99 (I think Best Buy is selling this for $24.99!)

I love the packaging especially the 2 disc Blonde on Blonde.

I also picked up the Sympathy for the Devil SACD. $4.99 and includes a $3 off of other Stones SACD.

What a glorious day!

Doug

george king

Supporting Actor
Interesting, because the BBuys in Texas do not have Blood on the Tracks, which is the one I really wanted right now.

I got Love and Theft and Bringing it All Back Home.

Can't wait to get home.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I'll be headed out this weekend. I'll get them all eventually. Not sure where I'm going to begin (I'll get one or two to start with). Looking forward to having something hi-rez to pick up each week between now and the end of the year.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has Blonde on Blonde for $25.99. :rolleyes:Glad to see that Circuit City has it much more reasonably priced.

Has anyone compared the stereo SACD track on the new Blonde on Blonde set to the single-layer SACD? One person on Steve Hoffman's said that the single-layer disc sounded better.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I bought Bringing It All Back Home yesterday, and the stereo SACD track is fantastic. I listened to the CD layer in the car on the way back from Best Buy, and given that it was only in the car, it sounded good too.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Doug, thanks for the heads-up on CC. I picked up "Slow Train Coming" & "Nashville Skyline" at BB yesterday, but passed on BoB due to the price (I was also disappointed they didn't have "Blood on the Tracks"). So today I popped into CC and grabbed their last copies of BoB AND BotT, and was so excited I had to add "Bringing It All Back Home" & "Love & Theft" to the haul!

I haven't had the time to listen to all of these all the way through, but my initial sampling session was very positive. Everything sounded crisp, clear & immediate. I could close my eyes and see Bob right there in my living room (scary thought, I know ;) ).

Looks like Sony has hit one out of the park with these. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Argh! I ordered a bunch of these from Red Trumpet at a discount and they're not hear yet. I want 'em so bad...

richardWI

Second Unit
BIABH sounds real clear. His voice is loud though, almost overpowering the rest of it.

SL pretty much sounds the same, but it had been remixed/remastered just a few years back so there wasn't much improvement needed.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I ordered the SACD box set yesterday from Acoustic Sound yesterday.

I may have to look at getting a new multi-channel SACD player now. :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I got Freewheelin', Another Side, Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61, Bringing It All Back Home and Blood On The Tracks. They all sound great - on the CD side, that is. I don't have SACD hardware yet. I'm thinking about getting the Pioneer DV-757ai - good choice? DVD-Video / DVD-Audio / SACD playback and more, great reviews. Anyone here got one? Of course, it will be the British version I'll be buying.

I gotta get DVD-A and SACD - too much great stuff coming out and next year is gonna be a big year for both formats. These Dylan releases and the upcoming Neil Young DVD-A releases are really what prompted me to jump on board.

# I woke up on the roadside, daydreamin' 'bout the way things sometimes are
Visions of your chestnut mare shoot through my head and are makin' me see stars.
You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies.
One day you'll be in the ditch, flies buzzin' around your eyes,
Blood on your saddle. #

Agh! Amazing stuff. I hope that Hard Rain is released next year on SACD, 'cause the version of 'Idiot Wind' on it is great, oh so great.

Gordy

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Got the whole box set from CD Universe -- for $175, how could you not? -- and it's uniformly wonderful. The details stand out, the singing is like he's in the room with you.

Oddly enough, the SACD format is almost best suited for the earlier, sparse, acoustic albums.

The weird thing is, on Street-Legal, have they used a different take of "Changing of the Guard" or am I just hearing things I never even had a hint of before?

Buy 'em all.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I bought Bringing It All Back Home yesterday, and the stereo SACD track is fantastic. I listened to the CD layer in the car on the way back from Best Buy, and given that it was only in the car, it sounded good too.
I picked this one up as well Keith, and I concur with your assesment. Both stereo Redbook and SACD layers sounded top notch.

The surround track was about what I expected....vocals mainly in the center channel, with the surrounds providing reverb (sounds exactly like the front left/right channels though at lower levels). I am guessing that because of the original masters they had to "Silverline" this disc to obtain a surround track. Kind of makes you wonder why they even went through the trouble, with the stereo tracks already excellent. At least it gives something to the multichannel fans out there.

J

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Members of Columbia House may want to hold off on purchasing the hybrids for a bit. There's every chance the Club will carry these within a few months, and can be bought cheaply using your bonus points or through one of the Club's frequent buy-1-get-3-free offers.

They currently have the Dark Side of the Moon hybrid, and while it's currently not eligible at any discounted rate through the Club, it soon will be. The same is likely to happen with the Dylan discs.

richardWI

Second Unit
The weird thing is, on Street-Legal, have they used a different take of "Changing of the Guard" or am I just hearing things I never even had a hint of before?
When it was re-released and remastered in 99' it had a slightly longer COTG. That was held over on this version.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I bought "Blood on the Tracks" and "Highway 61 Revisited" yesterday for $13.99 each...at Wal-Mart no less!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks