Bob Dylan SACD Reissues Info

Discussion in 'Music' started by Doug Schiller, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

FYI, Circuit City had every one of the new Dylan reissues.
    They were all $13.99 except for Blonde on Blonde which was $14.99 (I think Best Buy is selling this for $24.99!)

I love the packaging especially the 2 disc Blonde on Blonde.

I also picked up the Sympathy for the Devil SACD. $4.99 and includes a $3 off of other Stones SACD.

What a glorious day!

Doug

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Interesting, because the BBuys in Texas do not have Blood on the Tracks, which is the one I really wanted right now.

I got Love and Theft and Bringing it All Back Home.

Can't wait to get home.

3. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I'll be headed out this weekend. I'll get them all eventually. Not sure where I'm going to begin (I'll get one or two to start with). Looking forward to having something hi-rez to pick up each week between now and the end of the year.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Tower is also doing $13.99 for all discs except BoB (14.99).

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Best Buy has Blonde on Blonde for $25.99. [​IMG] Glad to see that Circuit City has it much more reasonably priced.

Has anyone compared the stereo SACD track on the new Blonde on Blonde set to the single-layer SACD? One person on Steve Hoffman's said that the single-layer disc sounded better.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Oh, I bought Bringing It All Back Home yesterday, and the stereo SACD track is fantastic. I listened to the CD layer in the car on the way back from Best Buy, and given that it was only in the car, it sounded good too.

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Doug, thanks for the heads-up on CC. I picked up "Slow Train Coming" & "Nashville Skyline" at BB yesterday, but passed on BoB due to the price (I was also disappointed they didn't have "Blood on the Tracks"). So today I popped into CC and grabbed their last copies of BoB AND BotT, and was so excited I had to add "Bringing It All Back Home" & "Love & Theft" to the haul!

I haven't had the time to listen to all of these all the way through, but my initial sampling session was very positive. Everything sounded crisp, clear & immediate. I could close my eyes and see Bob right there in my living room (scary thought, I know [​IMG] ).

Looks like Sony has hit one out of the park with these. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Argh! I ordered a bunch of these from Red Trumpet at a discount and they're not hear yet. I want 'em so bad...

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

11. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

BIABH sounds real clear. His voice is loud though, almost overpowering the rest of it.

SL pretty much sounds the same, but it had been remixed/remastered just a few years back so there wasn't much improvement needed.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think it's weird that with all these re-issues they skipped The Times They Are A-Changin'.

13. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I ordered the SACD box set yesterday from Acoustic Sound yesterday.

I may have to look at getting a new multi-channel SACD player now. [​IMG]

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I got Freewheelin', Another Side, Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61, Bringing It All Back Home and Blood On The Tracks. They all sound great - on the CD side, that is. I don't have SACD hardware yet. I'm thinking about getting the Pioneer DV-757ai - good choice? DVD-Video / DVD-Audio / SACD playback and more, great reviews. Anyone here got one? Of course, it will be the British version I'll be buying.

I gotta get DVD-A and SACD - too much great stuff coming out and next year is gonna be a big year for both formats. These Dylan releases and the upcoming Neil Young DVD-A releases are really what prompted me to jump on board.

# I woke up on the roadside, daydreamin' 'bout the way things sometimes are
    Visions of your chestnut mare shoot through my head and are makin' me see stars.
    You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies.
    One day you'll be in the ditch, flies buzzin' around your eyes,
    Blood on your saddle. #

Agh! Amazing stuff. I hope that Hard Rain is released next year on SACD, 'cause the version of 'Idiot Wind' on it is great, oh so great.

Gordy

15. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Got the whole box set from CD Universe -- for $175, how could you not? -- and it's uniformly wonderful. The details stand out, the singing is like he's in the room with you.

Oddly enough, the SACD format is almost best suited for the earlier, sparse, acoustic albums.

The weird thing is, on Street-Legal, have they used a different take of "Changing of the Guard" or am I just hearing things I never even had a hint of before?

Buy 'em all.

16. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

17. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Members of Columbia House may want to hold off on purchasing the hybrids for a bit. There's every chance the Club will carry these within a few months, and can be bought cheaply using your bonus points or through one of the Club's frequent buy-1-get-3-free offers.

They currently have the Dark Side of the Moon hybrid, and while it's currently not eligible at any discounted rate through the Club, it soon will be. The same is likely to happen with the Dylan discs.

18. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

19. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

That explains it -- thanks!

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I bought "Blood on the Tracks" and "Highway 61 Revisited" yesterday for $13.99 each...at Wal-Mart no less!!![​IMG]