Bob Dylan: No Direction Home

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChrisMatson, Jul 30, 2005.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

This deserves a wider audience than the crickets in the TV section.

This is looking good:

Video Preview from Amazon.com here.

DVD Release Date: September 20, 2005
    Strange that the DVD is released prior to the PBS showing...

2. AlexHL

AlexHL Stunt Coordinator

It will also be aired on BBC2 on those dates.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm really looking forward to this!

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Can't wait for this. To tie in with the movie, a soundtrack of rare and unreleased Dylan tunes will be out at the end of August.

Very much looking forward to seeing Scorcese revisit the music world. Anyone who hasn't seen The Last Waltz should go rent it to whet their appetites for the Dylan film.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm looking forward to this as well. In addition to a new "Bootleg Series" CD that Sam mentioned, there well also be a "Starbucks" exclusive CD of his "Gaslight Cafe" performances from IIRC 1961.

6. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Here's some reviews of No Direction Home (which is out today):

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=7887

http://dvdmg.com/nodirectionhome.shtml

I'm in a bit of a quandary because the program will be on public TV in a week.

There's some good stuff on disc 2, but is that enough to justify the $20 cost?

Also stumbled across the 'Gaslight' Starbucks CD and thinking about getting that too, but it's only about 30 minutes of music for $15 (which is what I paid for the NDH soundtrack and that was two full CDs).

7. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Disappointed that it is Full Screen only.

I have watched plenty of PBS music documentaries (American Masters series) that are in beautiful HiDef 16x9.

I really thought this would be produced this way.

oh well.

8. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

It's not pan'n'scan, though. The interviews and stock footage are all on 16mm in fullframe, but the bitrate is steadily high and the image looks great. The sound it killer... and did I mention the documentary is amazing?

The special features are definately, definately worth the price of the disc. Uncut Dylan performances (and other performers, too) by the bushel. And like I said, the sound and video quality are top-notch. I'd give top scores across the board.

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Not disappointed that it is Full Screen only.

Once upon a time, even before Betamax.....[​IMG]

10. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

I watched the first half today and its just as brilliant as I expected a collision between my favorite musical artist and one of my favorite filmmakers to be. Everyone should buy it.

Also, the Starbucks Gaslight Tapes album is about 45 or 50 minutes, not 30. I'm not tossing my bootlegs because there's a bunch of stuff not included, but the sound is beautiful and its absolutely essential for Dylan fans.

11. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

I put it on Netflix just in case I miss it.

Full frame is ok. I imagine most of the footage Scorcese found is in that ratio anyway.

Did Scorcese really direct this or did he produce it like the blues series he did a couple of years ago ?

12. Doug Schiller

I'm no 16x9 snob but if you follow the American Masters series, there have been plenty of archival type documentaries in HiDef.
    That is the real crime, not that the DVD isn't in 16x9, but the actual show on PBS won't be in HiDef (I checked).

I have viewed the Carter Family, Joni Mitchell, and Hank Williams documentaries for American Masters, all in beautiful HiDef, all made up of old footage.

I bought the DVD of course and looking at the "current" interview footage with Dylan, it seems to be a few years old (looks like 1999 - 2001 to me), they may not have had HiDef in mind.

Anyway, the transfer is amazing. There is some mid 1960 color footage of interviews with concert goers and it looks perfect to me.

The full performance of Tambourine Man at Newport is worth the price of the DVD alone.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Scorcese didn't find the footage. Dylan & his management organised most of the interviews with Scorcese brought in at the end to edit it together. It's been in the works for a number of years, which is why the 'recent' interview footage isn't brand new.

14. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

Have you actually watched the documentary? Because it sounds like you haven't. The footage that was referred to is obviously all the footage from the 60's of performances, interviews and candid stuff, plus all the footage of other musicans and artists too. It makes up a good portion of the film, and I'm pretty sure Scorsese did find all of that archive stuff. He directed this thing after all. He wasn't just some name to slap on it.

15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Watched Part 1 last night, and it's as good as everyone says it is. Its a nice companion to Dylan's Chronicles Vol. 1; good to see some of the faces that Dylan mentions in the book. The archival footage is amazing -- even this longtime fan had no idea much of this existed. Looking forward to seeing Part 2 today.

16. Sean A

Sean A Stunt Coordinator

Amazing documentary.

And I never even knew there was actual footage on the concert in Manchester England with the Hawks (Band) where the ausience member yelled at Dylan "Judas !", and he screamed back "You;re a Liar !"

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'm waiting for the PBS showing. My comments are based on an article in the Wall Street Journal which talked about how most of the grunt work, research etc was done by Dylan's own team with Scorcese coming in relatively late. Of course WSJ articles aren't availbale online for me to quote from :-/

18. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Saw Part 2 today; outstanding!

19. Doug Schiller

Almost done with the second part.

Just amazing stuff.

I'm huge Dylan fan and was suprised at the amount of footage I have never seen before.

What I haven't hear anyone mention before is the lack of input from Scorcese's friend, Robbie Robertson, who was in the thick of a lot of what they show.
    Maybe Dylan didn't want any interviews except the ones gathered by his team.

20. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

I've been a casual Dylan fan since the late sixties. I enjoyed his lyrics a lot, not so much because of any deep, political or hidden meanings, but rather the flow and the way he phrased things. I had heard he wasn't political, but never paid much attention or even cared one way or the other.

I really enjoyed the DVD and it seems to confirm what I had heard but yet I'm not sure. So I'm looking for your thoughts. Was Dylan really a political writer? He appears to deny it even though many of his songs seem very political. If not, was he just writing stuff that sounded good rather than meant something?

As an aside, I'm a huge Al Kooper fan and his bit in the 2nd half talking about how he wriggled back into the band was great.