Bob Dylan newbie...where do I start?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Josh Simpson, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I'm looking for some new (well...new to me) tunes, and I thought about Dylan. I'm not really familiar with much of his stuff, but where should I start? Should I go with an overview of the "Essential Bob Dylan" set? I was given a $25 gift card from iTunes, so I might go that route. If I like it enough, I might get the SACD's hybrids, since they are being phased out. Thanks for the help.

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Josh,
    More and more when I'm in this situation I go to allmusic.com where I can read about the artist, get recommendations and listen to a sample of almost everything.
    In Bobby's case I'm gonna suggest the recent "No Direction Home" dvd as a good intro.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Blood on the Tracks - Dylan's best and one of best records of all time.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Josh
    I have these for sale /trade if you are interested; $15 with shipping for all 3. Street Legal,Slow Train, Love & Theft
    They are 3 of his better 'newer' albums.

I think the greatest hits might be a good way to start

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I just bought Blood on the Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited, SACD hybrids. I consider those his two best and the SACDs sound great. Highway is stereo and Blood has both stereo and SACD Surround. Yourmusic has his the entire set of 16 SACD discs for $96 including shipping. Just buy that and have everything you will ever want. I believe 5 of the 15 albums, Blonde on Blonde is a dual disc, are in SACD Surround.

Chris

6. Greg.G

Greg.G Stunt Coordinator

Yes the yourmusic/BMG SACDs are probably the way to go pricewise.

Still don't listen to people who say X album is Dylan's best b/c I think there are at least 5 albums that could be judged that including Highway 61, Bringing it all back home, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, and Blood on the Tracks. Hell I listen to Desire as much as I do "Blood."

Or you could break it down into stylistic periods. For folk start with Another Side or Freewheelin'; for folk-rock-pyscho hybrid Bringing it all back home; for country-tinged music go with John Wesley Harding or Nashville Skyline; New Morning or Basement Tapes for the esoteric/alternative/Big Lebowski kind of thing; and for inspirational music try Slow Train Coming.

Also be opened minded as you'll get used to his voice in no time, but as far a harmonica is concerned well I guess you have to like that instrument(he doesn't use it as much later on).

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

If you join Yourmusic.com you can get the 16 disk SACD boxset for $99. Thats a savings of almost $150 off the price at Amazon. Then just cancel your subbscription the next month (or keep it, its a really good deal).

8. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Agreed. I own this SACD and the excellent sounding (and selected) 2-CD Essential series by Sony/Legacy. Certainly not complete by any stretch, but a good overview of his work. [​IMG]

9. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

These would be the 25 Dylan songs, in chronological order from 1962 to 1983, I would choose with your gift card if I wanted truly great songs not typically on a "best of":

BABY LET ME FOLLOW YOU DOWN
    GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY
    DOWN THE HIGHWAY
    ONE TOO MANY MORNINGS
    BOOTS OF SPANISH LEATHER

TO RAMONA
    I DON'T BELIEVE YOU (SHE ACTS LIKE WE NEVER HAVE MET)
    SHE BELONGS TO ME
    LOVE MINUS ZERO/NO LIMIT
    IT'S ALRIGHT, MA (I'M ONLY BLEEDING)

TOMBSTONE BLUES
    BALLAD OF A THIN MAN
    HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED
    PLEDGING MY TIME
    STUCK INSIDE OF MOBILE

LEOPARD-SKIN PILL-BOX HAT
    AS I WENT OUT ONE MORNING
    I'LL BE YOUR BABY TONIGHT
    TONIGHT I'LL BE STAYING HERE WITH YOU
    IF NOT FOR YOU

SOMETHING THERE IS ABOUT YOU
    IDIOT WIND
    YOU'RE GONNA MAKE ME LONESOME WHEN YOU GO
    ONE MORE CUP OF COFFEE
    SWEETHEART LIKE YOU

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    My Picks for fave Dylan albums:

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Bringin it all back home
    Blood On the Tracks
    Desire
    Oh Mercy
    Time Out Of Mind
    Love And Theft

Actually, aside from his late 70's 80's stuff, you can't really go wrong in my book.

MichaelBA's list is great, although I'd swap out "Sweetheart Like you" for "Not Dark Yet" from Oh Mercy. [​IMG]

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I heartily second Russell's recommendation of Time Out Of Mind. It has good tunes, an absolutely stellar rhythm section, and it was produced by Daniel Lanois [​IMG]

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Elana Fremerman played fiddle on a recent Dylan tour. She has these comments on her website.

"I hope I have learned from Bob Dylan, and I hope I continue to learn a lot from him. He is as inspiring as anyone I have ever gotten to play with. One thing I especially love is how he pulls new riffs out of the ether to thrilling effect and uses them to reinvent his songs night after night. I also love that he is always taking chances and trying new things all the time, especially with phrasing. Like Bob Wills and Louis Armstrong, he can play (or sing) one note with authority for like 12 measures and it just works. I hope I can do that some day! Some of my favorite songs (there are so very, very, very many now)include: “I Believe in You,” “Gotta Serve Somebody,” “Boots of Spanish Leather,” “She Belongs to Me,” “Buckets of Rain,” “One More Night,” “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight,” “Make You Feel My Love,” “Under the Red Sky,” “Things Have Changed,” “Winterlude,” “Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You,” “Every Grain of Sand,” plus about 475 others...... "

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

just dive in and start buyin' them

now

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I just realised how perfect my new sig workks for this thread [​IMG]

15. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    Here is a site that offers some reviews of the Dylan CDs, including the SACDs. Not a lot of information but maybe something worthwhile including several hundred opinions.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bob_dylan

Chris

16. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Going somewhat OT here, anybody know if he has a new album in the works...he's put out nothing since 9/11.

17. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the input, everybody. I got the Essential set, Slow Train, and will buy another soon. I've loved some of his stuff right off, and some has grown on me, but I definitely see his appeal. Thanks.

18. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I really like Slow Train. It is the first of his "Christian" albums. It is also one of his best. I really love Precious Angel and When You Gonna Wake Up. I also like all of the Bootleg disks. I was always amazed and the quality of his unreleased material on Bootleg 1-3. Bob was really prolific in his early days.

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

I love these too, and actually prefer them to many of his actual studio albums/non-bootleg releases. Only exception being the most recent for "No Direction Home", which was good, but a little spotty.

20. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    I ended up buying 8 of the 15 albums available in SACD,including all 6 with a surround mix. I had really quit listening to Bob Dylan decades ago, and not much at all after having worn out Highway 61 Revisited in 1965. These albums are really good and I doubt we will see better versions than these SACD discs in my lifetime. It is too bad SACD and DVD-Audio were such flops. Since I really don't think his catalog sells great per title these days, the next greatest audio format, whatever it might be may not see too many of his albums released. Although I always liked his song writing, I grew tired of his singing after Highway 61. Covers of his songs by The Byrds, Turtles, Jimi Hendrix and many others were always preferred. Now, I can once again appreciate his versions of these great songs.

Chris