1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob Dylan DVD's...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jan 10, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Will "Eat The Document" and "Hard Rain Live 1976" ever be released to DVD??

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

'Hard To Handle' is on DVD actually, it's available through Amazon and many other retailers.

I'd really love to see 'Eat The Document' released though, some Ebay sellers are getting pretty eccentric with their listing prices and I don't want to spend $50 on a questionable quality DVD-R. I've never seen the film before so I really hope it gets a digital transfer soon and same with Hard Rain!

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    EAT THE DOCUMENT is on DVD from Watchdog and it is a regular DVD, not a DVD-R, although this is now very rare and chances are you'd get a fan made DVD-R now. Someone in Italy released this and I've heard the quality is a lot better than previous releases.

HARD TO HANDLE is on DVD through a Brazil import. I was able to find a copy at Best Buy under the title BOB DYLAN AND THE HEARTBREAKERS: LIVE IN AUSTRALIA. There's a "fake" 5.1 track, which doesn't sound too bad but it's clear this was taken from a VHS.

I wish Criterion could get RENALDO AND CLARA, the five hour cut out on DVD but I doubt Bob would agree to release it. [​IMG] The two HARD RAIN films would be nice but again, Bob would have to give the OK first. Hopefully Columbia will start a DVD "Bootleg Series" like they did on CD.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Wow - thanks for the info on Eat The Document, I'll be scouring the internet this week!

Do you have any idea whether Watchdog released it as a R1 title, or do you know where I can find a picture of the original cover art - just so that I can have something to compare with to avoid purchasing a bootleg copy?

5. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I'm not sure what the cover looks like from Watchdog. I could never find the thing but I've read several reviews that said the video quality was amazing. I also heard that "Ballad of a Thin Man" is complete, unlike previous releases. I keep hoping this would pop up in Best Buy like the other import but no luck so far. I think the Dylan/Lennon limo ride outtakes are also included.

I did a search at Google and most of the recent posts are DVD-R rips but the higher ones on Ebay are the real deal.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Michael,

I love Dylan so I guess if I'm getting an authentic copy, than it's worth the price to go through Ebay, especially considering the obscurity of this title. I'll just be sure to ask lots of questions before bidding...

Thanks again, I'm so happy you confirmed this for me!

7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

I was suprised when this title came up in an Amazon search I did recently. I've been looking for this one for a few years now, as I was a fan of this tour and it remains one of the few VHS tapes I haven't replaced with DVD. What are the chances of an upgraded version? Worth waiting for or tracking down this (Brazilian?) edition?

Looking forward to Scorcese's No Direction Home documentary. Reviews from the Teluride festival say it is one of the best things Scorcese has done in 20 years.

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The Scorsese documentary is supposed to include alot of the "Eat the Document" footage ('66 tour).

MPI's "Don't Look Back" DVD is great. Highly recommended.

9. Would that still be R1? Guess I'd hold out for a remastered effort anyway.

Neil Young pumps out the DVDs, wish Dylan's people would do the same.

Someday I hope they give the Dylan/Petty tour a CD Bootleg release.

Westwood One radio plays a concert from the tour every now and again and it's great stuff.

Bought the 'No Direction Home' CD and thought it was OK.

The opening track with Bob as a HS student is just a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

The rest of disc 1 has some great stuff from Bob's young & inspired folkie era, which I really enjoyed.

Would have liked more from the Minnesota House Tape, instead of what they put on disc 2 (alternate takes from '65).