What's new

Boating questons... (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Hi,

I live in Florida, but unfortunately have no knowledge of boating at all. I was even born in Key West. Been on plenty of boats but never paid any attention.

My parents moved me up to Ocala, FL when i was young. Now I am at UF about to graduate. One area I am looking at is Sarasota.

And one thing Ive always wanted was a boat.

Can anyone help me out, or point me in the right direction on help buying a boat?

I want a NEW one. And I also want to be able to boat up and down the coast from sarasota to key west, stopping along the way.

What kind of boat should I be looking for? I dont need a cabin. Can I do it for around $20,000? What brands should I look at? stay away from?

Not looking to spend a bundle, just ned something that will get me around reliably.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And why is NEW so important? Sailboats especially may last for decades with proper care, and new sails and running rigging from time to time.

Used sailboats are a glut on the market right now. There are unbelievable deals available.

E

Eric Kahn

If you want a good boat cheap, take a trip up to the detriot area, used power boats have almost no resale value up there, there are people who make a living buying used boats in detriot and pullng them to FL to sell, you would be better off buying one a couple of years old

you should also make sure it is set up fpor salt water, since it effects boats faster than fresh water, make sure you know where the sacrificial anodes are and check them or replace them yearly if you are in salt water

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
First thing is to take a safe boating course. This will teach you quite a bit, plus you may learn if the "boating bug" will truly bite you. The boating lifestyle is not for everyone.

Unfortunately the term "boating" encompasses quite a bit, so you need to determine your desires. Sail or Power is the first choice.

If you have any interest in sailing, take a beginners course. Sailing is not the easiest thing in the world and requires a certain skillset (and patience) not everyone has.

Powerboating is more "instant gratification" - just turn the key, honk on the throttle and boogie. But it comes at a cost (higher gas and maintenance) and risk (if engine breaks down, it is VERY expensive to get towed back to port).

Whatever you do, get any prospective boat surveyed. This is an in-depth inspection that is costly, but worth it. Most financing companies require it for loans over a certain amount (similar to a home inspection). Just because a boat has a fancy paint job and the engine runs great doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting in the water for 5 yrs with a fiberglass hull now saturated wth water... I found a dream boat, looked in tremendous shape to my eye. The professinal comes in with a water meter and finds over $6000.00 in fiberglass damage on the top of the cabin sole where you normally don't find it. Well worth the 500.00 survey for a 30ft boat.

Good Luck - hope you learn to boat and love it ! But be safe.

ken thompson

Second Unit
Definitely dont buy new. $20K will only get you about 18 feet worth of new boat. This is certainly not enough to do the kind of boating you want to do. Used is the only way to go. Also one thing I've learned that fishing style boats are often built better, hold their value better, and are easier to sell when the time comes. However you do pay alittle more for them when buying used for these exact reasons. I've been boating my whole life and have owned a few now. You may not think you need a cabin but pleas think aobut this carefully. Cabins are very nice to have even if you dont plan on sleeping in it. I currenlty have a 24 foot SeaRay Overnighter. My wife and I have been all up and down the east coast of Florida and Georgia in it. Its a blast. We sleep on ours at various marinas. The facilities are often very nice as far as bathrooms and showers go. I have tons more advice for someone in your position so if you have any specific quesitons please ask

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
A boat is a hole in the ocean, surrounded by fiberglass, that you shovel money into. With that being said, I own two boats and a SeaDoo and wouldn't give them up for the world...

Whichever you decide to get, new or used, enjoy!!!

TimK

:rolleyes

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Good stuff mentioned here, especially about inspections. The biggest problem with older boats usually in the fiberglass, either on the top deck from delamination, or the bottom from water saturation or just people beating the crap out of the boats (especially on powerboats).

Anthony, what kind of vehicle do you have now? If you want something that is trailer-able, that may affect how big a boat (and a truck to pull it) you need.

And take the safety course, even better take one of the Power Squadrons courses. And buy a good comfortable lifejacket/harness if you're going to be out a lot. Wear it when it gets rough, wear a kill switch regardless if your boat has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks