What's new

Boardwalk Empire official discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Wow. This is why I sometimes stick with shows I think I should like even when I'm not particularly enjoying them. I'm really glad I stayed with the show. Last week was really good, and this week was even better for me in some way.

There was payoff in the relationship between Nucky and the widow. The payoff comes in the form of watching this woman scorned show she's a force to be reckoned with in her own right. There was a tragic end to the story of Jimmy and Pearl. Capone continues to be the hothead. Agent Nelson Van Ald lets us know he's under no illusions about the scope of what he's up against. He skillfully uses the widows desires to accomplish his own personal goals to get the corrupt politicians behind the illegal alcohol trade.

We look back on the time of prohibition and I can only wonder how it parallels marijuana in our own time. Criminal empires dedicated to providing a product that's outlawed, but basically acceptable to the populace. Lots of (untaxed) money. Power. And some dedicated folks out there intent on using the law to address the overall empires.

I've reached a point in the show where, while I know it isn't a documentary, I'm learning some things. I read an article about Boardwalk Empire sometime over the last week that clarified that the story is about prohibition period, and the big illegal grade in New York, New Jersey, and Chicago. I'd let the name put me off accepting the New York (somewhat... NY and NJ are always somewhat tied together) and Chicago (much more so), stories. Chicago certainly is no part of the boardwalk. But viewed simply as a story about a Prohibition era empire (or at least a loose collection of hooligans), it gels for me.

I'm also really enjoying seeing how the Irish are such a part of this story. We've seen sicilian mafioso stories that cover the same time period, but everyone knows that what we see here in Boardwalk Empire is also the truth -- "legitimate" enterprises (government, police forces, etc.) were flush with Irish people. I definitely know that to be true in both New Yorka and Chicago. And the unique history of the Irish people and their part in things deserves to be shown along with the rest.

For whatever reason, it's coming together for me. BTW, although I have a love of music, I don't always catch the scores of TV shows. Sometimes, though, one really jumps out at me. Was it just me, or did the music in this episode really... well, rock? It seemed to put me in exactly the mood I needed to be in to appreciate the story I was watching.

Just excellent all the way around. I can't wait for next week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Wow. This is why I sometimes stick with shows I think I should like even when I'm not particularly enjoying them. I'm really glad I stayed with the show. Last week was really good, and this week was even better for me in some way.

There was payoff in the relationship between Nucky and the widow. The payoff comes in the form of watching this woman scorned show she's a force to be reckoned with in her own right. There was a tragic end to the story of Jimmy and Pearl. Capone continues to be the hothead. Agent Nelson Van Ald lets us know he's under no illusions about the scope of what he's up against. He skillfully uses the widows desires to accomplish his own personal goals to get the corrupt politicians behind the illegal alcohol trade.

We look back on the time of prohibition and I can only wonder how it parallels marijuana in our own time. Criminal empires dedicated to providing a product that's outlawed, but basically acceptable to the populace. Lots of (untaxed) money. Power. And some dedicated folks out there intent on using the law to address the overall empires.

I've reached a point in the show where, while I know it isn't a documentary, I'm learning some things. I read an article about Boardwalk Empire sometime over the last week that clarified that the story is about prohibition period, and the big illegal grade in New York, New Jersey, and Chicago. I'd let the name put me off accepting the New York (somewhat... NY and NJ are always somewhat tied together) and Chicago (much more so), stories. Chicago certainly is no part of the boardwalk. But viewed simply as a story about a Prohibition era empire (or at least a loose collection of hooligans), it gels for me.

I'm also really enjoying seeing how the Irish are such a part of this story. We've seen sicilian mafioso stories that cover the same time period, but everyone knows that what we see here in Boardwalk Empire is also the truth -- "legitimate" enterprises (government, police forces, etc.) were flush with Irish people. I definitely know that to be true in both New Yorka and Chicago. And the unique history of the Irish people and their part in things deserves to be shown along with the rest.

For whatever reason, it's coming together for me. BTW, although I have a love of music, I don't always catch the scores of TV shows. Sometimes, though, one really jumps out at me. Was it just me, or did the music in this episode really... well, rock? It seemed to put me in exactly the mood I needed to be in to appreciate the story I was watching.

Just excellent all the way around. I can't wait for next week.

The gangs were also flushed with Irish people, both, in NYC and Chicago.

Crawdaddy

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Shea Whigham is stealing this show, along with Michael Shannon.

They're fantastic. Loved Agent Van Alden interrupting the meeting. And it looks like Margaret going to every extent possible to get Nucky's attention, now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think the problem that many of us might have with this

show at the beginning is that we were expecting Boardwalk

Empire to be the next The Sopranos.

I think that kind of perception started ruining the show for me.

Once I got my head out of trying to compare this show

to that one I began thoroughly enjoying what I was watching

week after week.

This week was no exception.

The writing, the cast, the acting...and yes, as mentioned,

the score is just tremendous. I'm hooked.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I believe Boston as well. Also there were Jewish gangs as well many Jews involved with the Italian mob, Meyer Lansky for instance.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford The gangs were also flushed with Irish people, both, in NYC and Chicago.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I think the problem that many of us might have with this

show at the beginning is that we were expecting Boardwalk

Empire to be the next The Sopranos.

Not saying this is a better show than The Sopranos (MUCH too early to draw that conclusion), but I'm pretty sure I wasn't as into The Sopranos this early on as I am Boardwalk Empire. The Sopranos didn't really hit it's stride for me until toward the end of the first season, if I remember correctly.

'Boardwalk Empire' has more of a movie feel to it than any show I've ever watched.

Enjoyed the "Black Sox" scandal references in the latest episode.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams

No doubt, even more cities than Boston. Crime for the most part has been an equal opportunity employer. Also, as I stated in a previous post in this thread, it will be interesting to see how they introduce Lansky into this series as he was one of Luciano's longest and closest friends.

My friend at work the other day was pointing out how most of the pool cues they use didnt exist in that era. I found that continuity issue something to look for in the show. Of course, I dont really mind since I love anything Buscemi touches.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I don't know what it was about it, but the moment of exchanged glances between Jimmy and Capone as Jimmy was snapping at Sonny's ears was powerful. It almost summed up why I'm loving this show -- it was slight and discreet, but it captured their relationship perfectly. The ball-busting scene feels almost redundant after that one exchange, because it said the exact same thing, but silently and powerfully. Then we got a cherry on top, with the sentimental and soft confession from Capone. Really, really good.

This show covers almost the entire spectrum. From scenes like the ones described above, to more nudity than most other shows I could name recently, to crazy guys whipping themselves bloody in lieu of masturbating at photos of sixteen-year-olds. All well-acted, all well-directed. Agent Van Alden sure seems ready to join the Opus Dei.

For once, I thought the Chicago story was the more involving one. I knew shit was going down once they focused on that first hat-check girl.

I also appreciated the trade between the two girls in the changing-room. "You look like the kitchen help. Bent over the table." "I don't think your cunny is the draw you think it is." I need more vicious chick-cuts like this.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The widow may have continued to assert herself (getting out a snarky line, quitting her job), but she's also looking in the mirror and isn't sure she likes what she sees. She's struggling a bit with her life as a kept woman.

It was nice to see the spinning tops. I remember those. I wonder in the age of PS3's, 360's, PSP's, etc. if that type of toy even exists anymore.

It was nice to see some real gangster stuff. Not just a street hooligan here and there, but planning, ruthlessness, etc. What a strange relationship between Capone and Jimmy. Capone gets jealous and starts publicly downing Jimmy in a semi-joking way. Jimmy, who has until this point has played the somewhat saner counterpoint to Capone, retaliates with his own barely-subtle putdowns. Capone has the nerve to be offended by this and to later say to Capone (effectively), "You put me down in public... friends don't do that." Apparently it's lost on him that he did exactly the same thing to his "friend". And then it gets even more poignant when Jimmy says (effectively), "Friends? Is that what we are?" Jimmy then points out he considers them "Accomplices." Capone apparently doesn't understand the difference as he says "Same thing."

I couldn't relate at all to the self-multilation masturbation scene, but it was enough for me to file away in my mind that, "This devoted public service has private issues." It reminds me of J. Edgar Hoover.

Lucky had his moment where he found out he wasn't with Jimmy's wife, but his mother.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The widow may have continued to assert herself (getting out a snarky line, quitting her job), but she's also looking in the mirror and isn't sure she likes what she sees. She's struggling a bit with her life as a kept woman.

It was nice to see the spinning tops. I remember those. I wonder in the age of PS3's, 360's, PSP's, etc. if that type of toy even exists anymore.

It was nice to see some real gangster stuff. Not just a street hooligan here and there, but planning, ruthlessness, etc. What a strange relationship between Capone and Jimmy. Capone gets jealous and starts publicly downing Jimmy in a semi-joking way. Jimmy, who has until this point has played the somewhat saner counterpoint to Capone, retaliates with his own barely-subtle putdowns. Capone has the nerve to be offended by this and to later say to Capone (effectively), "You put me down in public... friends don't do that." Apparently it's lost on him that he did exactly the same thing to his "friend". And then it gets even more poignant when Jimmy says (effectively), "Friends? Is that what we are?" Jimmy then points out he considers them "Accomplices." Capone apparently doesn't understand the difference as he says "Same thing."

I couldn't relate at all to the self-multilation masturbation scene, but it was enough for me to file away in my mind that, "This devoted public service has private issues." It reminds me of J. Edgar Hoover.

Lucky had his moment where he found out he wasn't with Jimmy's wife, but his mother.

Actually, I think Capone does realize he did the same thing to Jimmy by his admission that he didn't want a drink when Jimmy offered him one because when I drink too much, I talk too much. They're relationship is strange because Jimmy knows not to trust Capone with his violent tendencies.

Crawdaddy

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

As a matter of fact, they do. When I watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I see ads for things called Beyblade Metal Fusion. It's nothing more than an update of the old tops, complete with an arena that takes the place of the old chalk circles kids fought tops in in the '50s. You can see plenty of videos on YT by searching on Beyblade.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Actually, I think Capone does realize he did the same thing to Jimmy by his admission that he didn't want a drink when Jimmy offered him one because when I drink too much, I talk too much. They're relationship is strange because Jimmy knows not to trust Capone with his violent tendencies.

I remember the comment, though I forgot to incorporate it into my breakdown of the scene. I suspect the reason I overlooked it is because Capone's comments overlook it. His comment about drinking and talking too much basically excuses his behavior while he still holds Jimmy accountable for his behavior (because it was directed at -- and affected -- Capone).

Lysol in a douce bag?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I remember the comment, though I forgot to incorporate it into my breakdown of the scene. I suspect the reason I overlooked it is because Capone's comments overlook it. His comment about drinking and talking too much basically excuses his behavior while he still holds Jimmy accountable for his behavior (because it was directed at -- and affected -- Capone).

Lysol in a douce bag?
I just watched that scene again and he stated that if he drinks too much he acts stupid and talks too much and lies about things. IMO, he knew he was out of line which caused Jimmy to react out of line too which is why he made the comment that friends shouldn't do such things.

In regard to Lysol, it was used as such back in the day also as a form of birth control until other means were made available that were more healthy and effective for women.

Crawdaddy

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
In regard to Lysol, it was used as such back in the day also as a form of birth control until other means were made available that were more healthy and effective for women.

That's gotta hurt.

I just watched that scene again and he stated that if he drinks too much he acts stupid and talks too much and lies about things. IMO, he knew he was out of line which caused Jimmy to react out of line too which is why he made the comment that friends shouldn't do such things.

I hear you. Still, was Capone also drunk when he shot the gun next to Jimmy's ear? Was he also drunk when he's mouthed off before? He has never considered apologizing or commenting on how friends should treat each other until now, when Jimmy stopped being his personal punching bag and dished out a little. That's my larger point.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Capone might not of known he was ever out of line until Jimmy ripped him infront of people. Capone shooting the gun while Jimmy was asleep is a joke only hardcore gangsters/thugs would think is funny which Capone is so he probably figures most think it's funny in his circle.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
If Jimmy entered Capone's room while Capone was sleep, put a gun next to his ear, and fired it, Capone'd wake up deaf in one ear, bleeding from said ear, and laugh it up? I don't think so. Like most jerks, Capone only thinks it's funny when it's directed at someone else. When it comes home to roost, it's, "You don't do that." Hardcore gangsters/thugs want to be treated with "respect", not as the source of amusement.

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" -- Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas

It's possible Capone didn't know he was out of line, but only because everything he does makes sense to him -- even if it wouldn't make sense if the roles were reversed. He struggles with thinking "I shouldn't do this because I wouldn't like it if it were done to me." Instead, his guiding principle for what to do in life is does it bring him immediate gratification? I suspect the only mitigating factor is fear. In other words, he won't do something that'd bring him gratification to someone he thinks would make him pay -- possibly with his life. Otherwise, fair game. It's part of what makes him the ruthless psycho he is. At least that's how I see it. I've known people like that in life, and something as simple as "Do unto others" is a completely foreign concept they can't relate to at all. Jimmy's a different type of criminal. He's a strange blend of principles and ruthlessness. Each is compelling to watch in his own way.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
My late father, a Methodist preacher, pulled that stunt on me when I was 7 or 8.

It was probably the 4th of July, he liked to shoot a starter pistol on that occasion. I wasn't awake and he thought that would be a good way to end my sleep.

It didn't work, I was a very sound sleeper, 10 years later I slept through some firefights in Nam.

Oh, you don't have to tell me how abusive daddy was, I know.

You COULD tell me why I can't get my comment UNDER Jeremiah's quote.

My guess would be, "New Improved HTF".

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

Capone shooting the gun while Jimmy was asleep is a joke only hardcore gangsters/thugs would think is funny which Capone is so he probably figures most think it's funny in his circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks