Boards don't scroll as fast as they used to, eh?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul_Sjordal, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

I started posting here long, long ago when DVD was still a fairly new format and I was trying to piece together something on a budget. When I first joined, I was enamored with DVD and everything about it and spent a lot of time on these forums.

I'm not as big a film fan as others, but it's a joy to read debates about movies between other people or even participate in them myself.

Somewhere, somehow, I just sorta drifted away. Now I just dip my head in every few months/years just to see how things are going (or maybe to yap it up about some movie I'm excited about).

However this time, I actually stuck around for a couple of days and I have to say that I've noticed the boards aren't scrolling as fast as they used to.

Wha' hoppen?

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

There are a couple of threads now running on this subject in the HTF Feedback Forum.

3. Paul_Sjordal

Ah, my apologies then. I'm a bit rusty about how things go around here.

4. Paul_Sjordal

Hrm, just checked it out, and all I saw were a couple of threads on server performance. When I say "scrolling" I'm talking about threads scrolling off the page from people posting so much. This place used to scream, unless I remember incorrectly.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Oops. Sorry.

Well, there are a few threads in the Software section which are running up some impressive post totals. For example, on the recent Star Wars releases and the upcoming Superman releases.

There is also an increased interest in the high-def sections lately, too.

6. Paul_Sjordal

Yeah, I noticed that thread.

While there are individual threads that see a lot of activity, the total number of threads receiving activity is lower than I remember. Perhaps many people are like me, and got all excited about home theater when the DVD format was new, and now that most people have functional home theaters, there's less reason to come around here and debate about -- say -- the merit or lack of merit of gold cables.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You say that like it's a bad thing...

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Or banana plugs, or breaking-in speakers, or DIVX, or OAR vs. MAR. Yeah, most of that stuff has gotten sorted out and resolved. Some of it still comes up...but has already been debated to death.

There's a pretty active debate right now, though, on HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. There are also still various issues with the industry on which fights are picked.

I'd say the HTF is still a pretty active place. We missed you, though. [​IMG]

9. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Part of it could be that there are many more sections now than there were a few years ago. There still seem to be a lot of posts being made.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Yeah, I've noticed that threads have slowed down in activity. There was a time when i couldn't keep up with the handful of threads that I replied to, but now I actually find myself replying to threads that I never would have if not for the fact that I'm looking for some sort of conversation.

Chris may be right about the fact that there are more thread categories than before. Although, I have noticed that a lot of the more vocal posters no longer post anymore.

11. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Yeah, I don't know if statistically it's true, but it does *seem* to be slower around here lately. I wonder if once winter sets in here in the US if things will pick up when people are more likely to be indoors.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Very slow. It was over 12 hours since I last logged in and still there are only about 4 threads with new posts in most of my tagged forums.

13. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Yeah disappointingly slow, I posted a thread about Avia calibration help, I believe in 3 days I got 2 responses, turned to AVS and had 5 responses in 2 hours.. [​IMG]

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

lol

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I noticed that too.

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

In joined in Jan. 2003 and it seems like a LONG time that I've been here.

17. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Sorry about that. I'll start posting my opinions more often so your not all feeling abandoned. [​IMG]

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well...any guy who has been posting at the clip of seven posts a day over that time SHOULD feel he's been around a long time! [​IMG]

I'm trying to head off any remarks from ne'er-do-wells who might comment that it sure seems like you've been around a long time to the rest of us! [​IMG]

19. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey

Looks like we got something in common Mark [​IMG]

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, "when the DVD format was new" would take one back to 1997. It could still be considered "new" when I joined in 1999. Whatever.