What's new

Boards don't scroll as fast as they used to, eh? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I started posting here long, long ago when DVD was still a fairly new format and I was trying to piece together something on a budget. When I first joined, I was enamored with DVD and everything about it and spent a lot of time on these forums.

I'm not as big a film fan as others, but it's a joy to read debates about movies between other people or even participate in them myself.

Somewhere, somehow, I just sorta drifted away. Now I just dip my head in every few months/years just to see how things are going (or maybe to yap it up about some movie I'm excited about).

However this time, I actually stuck around for a couple of days and I have to say that I've noticed the boards aren't scrolling as fast as they used to.

Wha' hoppen?

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Hrm, just checked it out, and all I saw were a couple of threads on server performance. When I say "scrolling" I'm talking about threads scrolling off the page from people posting so much. This place used to scream, unless I remember incorrectly.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Oops. Sorry.

Well, there are a few threads in the Software section which are running up some impressive post totals. For example, on the recent Star Wars releases and the upcoming Superman releases.

There is also an increased interest in the high-def sections lately, too.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I noticed that thread.

While there are individual threads that see a lot of activity, the total number of threads receiving activity is lower than I remember. Perhaps many people are like me, and got all excited about home theater when the DVD format was new, and now that most people have functional home theaters, there's less reason to come around here and debate about -- say -- the merit or lack of merit of gold cables.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Or banana plugs, or breaking-in speakers, or DIVX, or OAR vs. MAR. Yeah, most of that stuff has gotten sorted out and resolved. Some of it still comes up...but has already been debated to death.

There's a pretty active debate right now, though, on HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. There are also still various issues with the industry on which fights are picked.

I'd say the HTF is still a pretty active place. We missed you, though. :D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Part of it could be that there are many more sections now than there were a few years ago. There still seem to be a lot of posts being made.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've noticed that threads have slowed down in activity. There was a time when i couldn't keep up with the handful of threads that I replied to, but now I actually find myself replying to threads that I never would have if not for the fact that I'm looking for some sort of conversation.

Chris may be right about the fact that there are more thread categories than before. Although, I have noticed that a lot of the more vocal posters no longer post anymore.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, I don't know if statistically it's true, but it does *seem* to be slower around here lately. I wonder if once winter sets in here in the US if things will pick up when people are more likely to be indoors.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Very slow. It was over 12 hours since I last logged in and still there are only about 4 threads with new posts in most of my tagged forums.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Yeah disappointingly slow, I posted a thread about Avia calibration help, I believe in 3 days I got 2 responses, turned to AVS and had 5 responses in 2 hours.. :frowning:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sorry about that. I'll start posting my opinions more often so your not all feeling abandoned. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well...any guy who has been posting at the clip of seven posts a day over that time SHOULD feel he's been around a long time! :D

I'm trying to head off any remarks from ne'er-do-wells who might comment that it sure seems like you've been around a long time to the rest of us! :laugh:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, "when the DVD format was new" would take one back to 1997. It could still be considered "new" when I joined in 1999. Whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks