"Board Games"

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveMcS, Oct 27, 2005.

1. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

We suffered some minor flooding in my dad's basement this past weekend. While helping him sop up the remaining water we came across our old stash of board games we played as kids.
    Past favorites were:
    Monopoly, Easy Money, Payday, Stratego, Risk, Trouble, Headache, Scrabble, a box of Steve Jackson/Metagaming titles (Wizard, Melee, Creature that Ate Sheboygan, Ogre, Air Eaters, Chitin 1, Rivets, GEV, etc), my original D&D stuff, Traveler, GammaWorld, BootHill, TopSecret, SquadLeader collection, Sorry, Hangman, Rock-em Sock em Robots.

I also turned up a large cache of Magic:The Gathering cards, Battletech cards and a full set of XFiles cards....

Time to go visit the local RGP bookstore and trade these in for some CASH!!

What "old school" board games did/do you play?

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

My favorite is WATER WORKS. I love the cards with various pipes with leaks and the little wrenches you placed on the cards that "fixed" the problem. I gotta play that again soon. Also love to play LIFE - who can resist those little plastic cars that you put little pegs "people" in when you start a family ... and it's a fun looking board to watch.

- Colton

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I've always loved board games and still do. We play Sorry, Aggravation, Battleship, Kadoo, Harry Potter Clue, and Monopoly Jr. with my kids (4 & 6).

I still have a number of my old games - Risk, Payday, Life, Stratego, 2 or 3 versions of Monopoly, Trouble, Dungeon, All The Kings Men (a Chess variant), Scrabble, Gnomes, The Flintstones, 2 old Star Wars games, Battlestar Galactica, and a few others I can't think of.

My friends and I also used to heavily play Axis & Allies, Fortress America, Conquest of the Empire, and Shogun. I played a lot of Third Reich with a guy in college, though that one is tough because it takes so long to play. We were roommates our Sophomore year and always had a game of Third Reich or Axis set up on the kitchen table in our apartment.

In more recent years we play Settlers of Catan, LOTR Risk, old Risk, and some card games and older classics like Illuminati.

My senior year of college ('95) I got heavily into Magic and played for seriously for several years after that - playing in lots of tournaments, buying tons of cards, etc. I traded all my D&D stuff for Magic. About '98 I sold off almost all my collection and all my expensive cards for $1800 (looking at a price guide now I wish I had 'em back) and quit playing for a long time. Now my friends and I have bought a few decks and play with those decks unaltered to create a level playing field, and have a lot of fun.

I played D&D and tons of other role playing games, including many you mentioned, for years as well. From the time I was in 4th grade through college. Playing and running campaigns in a variety of games. My favorites were D&D, Cthulu, Gamma World, War Hammer RPG, MERP, and Empire of the Petal Throne.

I'd probably be interested in your Steve Jackson games if your local shop doesn't want them. I still have a couple of old favorites - King of the Tabletop and Elefant Hunt.

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I still play Life, Monopoly and Sorry with my kids..and Illuminati with some friends twice a year which has been a 20 years long tradition.

If I had a set of the orignal rock em' sock em' robots, I'd probably play those too.

[​IMG]

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I loved to play Payday, Life, King Oil, and Feudal.

There was this one game my babysitter used to bring over and I can't remember the name, but was so cool. It had a board that was divided with divider so you couldn't see the opponents side and you would hit this thing that would shoot air and your player piece (or theirs, I can't remember) up and over the divider or somthing like that.

6. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Oh, man! That just reminded me of the Six Million Dollar Man action figure my brother had in the early 70s. He had these see-thru bionic parts all over his body! Wow! That was a cool toy.

- Colton

7. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

Best part of the Bionic Man doll was that you could see through his eye/head. I also had the Jamie Summer doll (bionic woman).

As for board games

Risk, Axis and Allies, Clue, and Parcheesi

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Lots of Risk in primary and secondary school (grade/junior high?), then "graduated" to Squad Leader. Later on we used to play History Of The World in the office at lunchbreak -- we couldn't finish a game in a single one-hour lunchbreak, it would take about three I think most times, so we simply recorded all board positions and each player put his cards etc into a large envelope and we packed it all away.

Good times. Maybe I'll see if anyone in my current office is interested.

9. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    One of my favorites was Pathfinder. It was kind of like Battleship but you made a maze with these little panels as walls, and you hid a pawn in it, and your opponent made his own maze on his side, and neither of you could see the other guy's maze so you had to guess your way through it like in Battleship. As you guessed, you were trying to re-create his maze piece by piece. I still have it and play with it!

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

If anyone can help me out with this, I'll be forever debted to you...

There is this board game that I had as a kid, circa '82 but more than likely was a 70's product. It was my absolute favorite board game in the world!!

It was sort of like a snakes and ladders concept... only the board was this haunted castle and you could chose to play as the classic Universal horror monsters, though I'm almost certain it was a completely seperate licensed manufacturer with no relation - Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man and The Mummy.

I forget the actual concept of the game, apart from the fact that you had to move your monsters up the board in the same vein as a snakes and ladders to reach the last "end" square, but along the way were subject to all sorts of traps and pitfalls (literally). I believe it was played with dice.

I used to play this ALL the time! Anytime one of my friend's came over we'd have to break it out at some point in the day. It was the coolest board game I'd ever seen and the board and pieces themselves were so detailed and well done. It might just be my youthful memory but it was actually a somewhat scary game with dark elaborate painted board and lots of attention to detail.

I've done extensive searches on Google and came up with nothing, I have no idea what this game was and I doubt I'd even remember it from name, buy does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'd never seen it in anyone else's house so I'm not sure if this was ever a popular game or if it was somewhat obscure but it's killing me that I can't figure it out.

Does this spark even the slightest familiarity in anyone's memory? Did anyone else play this as a kid in the later 70's-80's?

11. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I used to enjoy playing Stratego. Just the idea of going **BOOM!!!!** when someone hit one of your bombs. Only to then have them say their chip was the bomb disposal guy.

Coolest game I had as a kid was a game called "Stop Theif!" It was kind of like clue, only you had this little electronic box that would make all these cool sounds as you tried to figure out where the theif was based on the noises (footsteps, windows breaking, street sounds) and then call out the building and punch in the code. If you were right, the sound of police sirens would come racing in. If you were wrong, or off by a few squares, you would hear the sound of feet running away and you had to start over again and find his new location.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Marco, you need to visit Board Game Geek, which is an incredible resource about games old & new. Someone in that forum will undoubtedly know the game you're talking about.

A quick search for "monster" games threw up a mention of a "Boris Karloff Monster Game" that sounded similiar to what you describe.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks a lot Brian, I'm registering now!

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'll second "Stop Theif" as one of the coolest games ever. I still have it, and I still suck at it!

My favorite game as a kid was "Star Wars Escape from Hoth." We use to play it constantly, that and "Desstroy The Deathstar", which had little X-Wings you put on a pedistal, that couyld get shot off.

My current favorite is Heroclix, though I rarely play it anymore, to much arguing over superhero powers with my comic nerd friends.

15. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Not an old classic, but Settlers of Catan is definitely my favorite!

16. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Used to play Monopoly and The Game of Life. My favorite was Stratego and Battleship was also fun. I had both the original version of battleship with the red and blue plastic boxes as well as electronic battleship, which was pretty cool.

17. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

I always liked Sorry as a kid and Mousetrap

18. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Axis and Allies killed me in college. I played -way- too much Axis & Allies as we had an entire section of our dorm roped out for a while with giant tables; teams would play as the generals, we'd conference for planning.. a game would take weeks. Great stuff.

As a kid, I really enjoyed "Wallstreet" which was a game kinda like monopoly, except you could sell "stock" and you could buy banks.

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    monopoly and mousetrap were my favs.
    i also had a game that i cant remember what it was called.
    it had these spring pop up mushroon looking things and you placed them on a small tarp like thing on the floor..

i think you had to push down on the top of the 'shroon like thing to squish it on the board then it would pop up and land on the baord.

anyone.

20. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I remember playing games of Risk that went all day. My mom didn't like us playing because "it made us swear". [​IMG] Let me tell ya, there's nothing more frustrating than having your armies whittled down by a single army who rolls one 6 after another. [​IMG]