Board Games: War and Otherwise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Martin, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

This past weekend had some fun playing Risk with a few buddies. Nothing quite like some trash talking and world domination, hmmm?

Anyway, I was wondering if y'all know about anything equivalent to Risk but using a fantasy setting. What I am looking for should ideally fit a few criteria, but don't take these as immutable:

[*]Easy to learn

[*]Pace of game up to players -- if they are aggressive/risk-prone, game can move quickly

[*]Lots of combat, preferrably between armies rather than individuals

[*]Use of magic/fantastic elements gives flavor but given equal weight of conventional arms (perhaps due to energy expended, materials needed, scarcity of magic, etc.)[/list]Also, if y'all can recommend any other good board wargames, fantastic or otherwise, would love to hear about them. I just read about Risk 2210, and it looks very interesting.

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Try 'Sword of the Samurai.' Formerly known as Shogun.

3. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

Axis & Allies

Its alot like risk, bit cooler I think.

May take awhile to learn to play,but has lots of combat

It has three boards,12 dice,money,and alot of pieces

tanks,bombers,fighter planes,aircraft carries,battleships,all kinds of stuff.

It is WW2 game. Kind of plays the same as RISK.

4. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Axis and Allies is a classic. You should definitely give it a try. There is a lot of combat, it is easy to learn, well-balanced, and you will pull your hair out trying to outsmart your opponent(s). You can play with 2-5 people. Two is fun, but more is better, since talking strategies for world domination is great fun!

5. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

I love the hell outta Axis and Allies. Only problem is, I haven't managed to get in more than five complete games in as many years. No one in my family ever liked board games, and all my Risk-playing buddies were inexplicably turned off by how "long" and "complicated" it was.

I love Risk too, but A&A provides more varied strategies for my money (of course, the first one to get the Super Bombers technology has a serious advantage over the others--so much so that we've banned it the last few times we've played).

BTW. I've considered picking up the A&A PC game, but haven't yet. Can anyone give me an idea of its quality?

Also, there was a sort-of Hero Quest spinoff game I used to play back in the day. If I'm not mistaken, it was called Battle Masters. It was played on a large 5x5 board with various companies of wolf riders, goblins, orcs, crossbowmen, archers, knights, a cannon, and some other units. There was often a big tower in the middle, as well as various cardboard land modifiers. Not sure if it's still available, but it was great fun. I'll have to take it down from the attic this summer.

Evan

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I just read about Risk 2210
    Risk 2210 certainly does change the game, I'll tell you that. My friends and I are still trying to master the new strategies involved:
    A) Additional countries (sea and moon) that change conquest patterns. (Austrailia for instance can be attacked from up to 4 directions)
    B) Commanders and bases that let you use 8 sided die when attacking and defending. Always fun to attack with two d8 and a d6 against a lonely defender. [​IMG]
    C) The ability to "bid" on who starts each turns combat. This in itself can drastically effect play. Go last one turn, and bid to go first the next. Your enemies might not last to counterstrike.
    D) Special cards that can drastically change battle outcomes (but then the presence of the old card system always did that). Huge stockpiles turn to dust with many of these cards.
    E) Random no-man zones that change how the game is played each time.
    It takes a bit to figure out the rules, but once you do the pace is as fast as regular Risk.

7. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

www.boardgamegeek.com
    Might I suggest:
    El Grande: "In this Spiel des Jahres winner, players take on the roles of Grandes in medieval Spain. The king's power is flagging, and these powerful lords are vying for control of the various provinces. To that end, you draft caballeros (knights) into your court and subsequently move them onto the board to help seize control of provinces. After every third turn, the regions are scored, and after the ninth turn, the Grande with the most points is deemed the winner."
    There are hundreds and hundreds of games reviewed on boardgame geek. I have bought a couple of games based on the reviews. There are some pretty good games out there that you cant find at your local Wal-Mart. You have to go to a specialty game store, but its worth it. My wife's and my favorite game these days is Carcassonne.
    Good luck!
    -ikiru

8. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Battle Masters is a fantasy game similar to risk. It uses armies of orcs and wolves, etc. It's been several years since I've played, but it was fun in the day. It's "board" is a mat about 4' x 4' if I remember right.
    Dark Tower is another fantasy strategy game. I don't think they make it anymore though. But basically you had to overtake the tower in the middle of the board before your opponent. I think there were cards to draw which invovled magic and that sort of thing.
    WarHammer is serious fantasy war gaming. I have not played it before, but check it out at any role-play gaming shop near you! It looks awesome and could easily get into something like that if I had more time to devote.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Here are a few game suggestions, from my limited knowledge:
    Settlers of Catan - This is an outstanding strategy game, the encourages (requires) a lot of player interaction. Though it doesn't meet your criteria in particular, it is a great game. Also, a single game allows up to four players, but multiple sets can be combined to accomodate more (I like playing two-set, six-player games).
    Wiz War - Fantasy game with an insane amount of spells, and can accomodate any number of players (with additional sets).
    A friend (who introduced me to the above games) is designing smaller strategy games. You can see them at his website: http://www.dvsgames.com/ . You might also email him, as he might have helpful suggestions.

10. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

I've only played Risk 2210 the once so far, but it was good. Took a long time to play though (3, 4 hours?)
    I am more used to games such as Settlers of Catan and El Grande, so I would definitely second those suggestions. Quicker game (less than two hours, can get nearer one hour), less downtime while the other players take their turns. El Grande is definitely the far more intense of the two! (But I love it :)
    For some fantasy and spells, try Aladdin's Dragons.
    boardgamegeek is a good site; there's also www.funagaingames.com and www.bouldergames.com to find info, good prices, and good service.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Another vote for Settlers! We play it quite a lot, with and without the expansions.
    Unfortunately, Shogun and Swords and Sumari are both out of print. Can't find them anywhere [​IMG]

12. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

13. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

14. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

Might I suggest any of the Microgames from OOP Texas Company called Metagaming.
    Wizard, Melee, Ogre, chitin 1 were some of my favorites...
    http://www.gamecabinet.com/info/Metagaming.html for a more complete list
    *no connection with company listed..just used for reference only
    Dave

15. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit