BMWFilms.com on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gord Lacey, May 16, 2001.

1. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Just in case you guys didn't know, BMWFilms.com will be releasing their short films on DVD once all 5 have been shown on the web. I heard of these a little while ago, but just took a look today and I'm impressed. BMW must be forking out some big bucks to get these made. They've hired some top Hollywood directors (John Frankenheimer, Ang Lee, Wong Kar-Wai, Guy Ritchie and Alejandro González Iñárritu) and the video clips even have a commentary track (thank you QuickTime!).
    Want more info? Head on over to http://www.bmwfilms.com/
    Gord

2. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Yea, I'd love to know how to get ahold of the DVD. I think it's really cool that they have commentaries on each of the films. [​IMG]
    Gregory

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Mabey the first batch will include a coupon for a free car [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

4. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Anyone heard any new updates on if/when these films will be available on dvd?

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Prime for promo material. I too am interested to know if anyone has heard more... audio specs, etc.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm hoping these become available for a nominal charge or a $5ish S/H fee.
    I've only seen the first three, but the Wong Kar Wai piece is really phenominal.
    The presence of the underrated Clive Owen as the "courier" only makes me wish that one of my favorites from last year, "Croupier," were released on DVD on the open market sooner rather than later (or much later-- wasn't Image supposed to put this on the market this summer?)

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Of course, what BMW will do if they are halfway clever is rather than offer to mail them for the shipping fee is give them away at BMW garages - that way you've got to step into a showroom.
    ------------------
    "I'm a reasonable man, get off my case" - Thom Yorke

8. Roland G

Roland G Stunt Coordinator

Hey..as far as i know it is not a sure thing that a "The HIre" DVD is coming...
    Roland
    a.fincher.news.site - www.davidfincher.cjb.net

9. Gord Lacey

Roland: Yes, it's mentioned on their website. I was digging around there one day and found this page:
    http://www.bmwfilms.com/site_layout/...atID=6&AnsID=3
    Not the easiest thing to get to. Imagine finding DVD info under the topic "How much drive space is needed to download all five films?" Pretty silly. Maybe they'll put the ordering info under "Connection Speeds".
    Anyway, once all the films (one more) are finished we should see the DVD info pop up.

10. Lane F.

Gord,
    Great find! Very bad placement on their part, but good still very good news. I personally can't wait, one can only hope it will be available for free at the dealers, or for a cheap S&H fee...
    -Lane

11. Gord Lacey

Maybe they'll be free with the purchase of a car [​IMG]
    Just watching the clips and looking at the site you can tell they had the DVD planned from the start. Each clip features director commentary and there are stills on the site. Great job by BMW!
    Hmmm....I just remembered that my old neighbour is the GM at the BMW dealer in town...

12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

This is great news. I look forward to seeing and hearing these on DVD. I hope they are 5.1 surround.
    I just bought a new BMW 3 series coupe and it's a great car. After seeing the films, they sort of get you driving a little more spirited!
    As a BMW ownwer, it would be nice if it is offered as a promo to customers, but I am willing to pay for it.
    Nelson

13. Lane F.

Nelson,
    I too am the owner of a BMW. Although, mine is a bit older than yours. I own a 1988 M3, I so wish I had the newer M3 that just came out.
    I must admit that these films do make you think about driving these cars quite differently. After watching "Star" I just wanted to go out and push my car to its limits!
    So far out of all these films - "Star" is my favorite.

14. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

quote: Gord wrote
    BMW must be forking out some big bucks to get these made.[/quote]
    About $2 million per film.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hi Lane-
    Good to hear from another Bimmer owner here. I find it kinda funny how it is to visit this site where we all talk about home theater and there's usually no interest in cars. And when I visit the BMW sites, there's no interest in DVD's or home theater. It's great to see a post mixing other interests. (I know this kind of talk belongs to the After Hours lounge, please forgive my brief digression)
    I was really hoping to get the new M3, but at the time I ordered my 330ci, the dealer told me it was a 2 year waiting list and $15K over sticker to get it. Now with the market crash and possible recession coming, I hear you can find the new M3 at dealers. I'm happy though with my car, I'd be too worried to leave it parked outside! I envy you your M3. I have the consolation that my car is so close to last year's M3 that the performance is well within my needs. And the $20K price differnece with the 330ci and new M3, I saved all that money to buy more DVD's and other needs!
    Sorry to get off topic here, I think I may spin up the Ronin DVD now and watch that BMW 5 series in the second chase.
    Nelson

16. Lane F.

Here is a copy of an email I just recieved from BMW:
    Dear Lane,
    Thank you for your recent e-mail and inquiry about the film content on our web site. After all five films have been released on the web site, we will offer a DVD that will also include the "Driving Techniques" and "Making of the Films" features.
    If you would like more information, please contact us again and we will be happy to assist you.
    Best regards,
    BMW of North America, LLC

17. Lane F.

GREAT NEWS!!! Just got another email response from BMW regarding the DVD. Here it is:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Lane,
    Thank you for your continued feedback.
    The DVD is free and more information about it's distribution will be released later this summer.
    Thank you,
    BMW of North America, LLC

18. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd bet cash on "free with Test Drive".
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

19. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I know it's not the same as DVD, but I believe these films are scheduled to be shown on Bravo sometime in the next week. It should be a little better picture than a Quicktime movie. Sorry I can't remember what date at the moment, but my Tivo is scheduled to record it so it's fairly soon.
    Eric

20. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the actor who plays the driver the same actor who played the lead character in the computer game "Privateer 2: The Darkening", or am I mistaken?