What's new

BMWFilms.com DVD is outstanding! (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Just got to watch this yesterday and it's fantastic! I sure hope that they choose to release this to the general public.
For those that don't know...BMW has put out a DVD with all of "The Hire", the BMWFilms.com short films. 5 Short films directed by people like John Frankenheimer, Ang Lee, Guy Ritchie and more.
They all follow roughly the same backstory which is also provided on the DVD along with trailers, teasers, bios, and even more.
The quality is superb and these films just plain rock. Here's hoping that they offer this on their website soon.
I got this one through Vanity Fair. If you are a subscriber, the DVD is included in the October 2001 issue. You can also get it on EBay, but as usual for extortionist prices.
I think Frankenheimer's film "Ambush" is the best of the 5, but I also loved the substories directed by Ben Younger...they were very engaging.
Great disc.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

RicP

Screenwriter
quote: I'm not going to ask why you subscribe to "Vanity Fair[/quote] Well first off I wonder why there is a "stigma" attached to mainstream American magazine and why that's even relevant to the topic at hand
rolleyes.gif

Secondly, I guess you didn't stop to think that my wife may be the subscriber hmmm?
Are they anamorphic?
Unfortunately Matt no, they aren't. They are Widescreen but not anamorphic.
Also I forgot to mention that each film comes with a commentary as well.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's
[Edited last by RicP on September 24, 2001 at 04:20 PM]

Scott Miller

Agent
Ric, just busting your balls. Guess I wish my wife was a subscriber! Can you only get it by being a subscriber and not at the newstand? My laptop doesn't quite do these films justice.

RicP

Screenwriter
Can you only get it by being a subscriber and not at the newstand?
Yes that's correct Scott. Only subscribers were given the DVD in an envelope bound into the magazine.
The DVD is just superb and I really hope that BMW offers it for sale on their site. I think they could make a few bucks and it's amazing advertising as well.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
can't recall the source off the top of my head, but I read that BMW WILL be releasing a standalone version of the DVD, for free.
Hopefully, they'll put a form on their site and let you get it for shipping costs. I would rather have a keepcase instead of an envelope anyway.

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
A couple things:
1. My wife subscribes, and there was no DVD in the issue she just received. Has anyone else out there heard of subscribers not getting them? Can you call and request one if you're a subscriber?
2. Vanity Fair is actually a really good magazine. I used to think "Oh, that's a women's magazine," but it's really good. There are always great, insightful articles in there by people like Dominic Dunne. After Kubrick died, the guy who wrote Full Metal Jacket with him (forget his name at the moment) wrote a great article about Kubrick for Vanity Fair.
Don't knock the mag until you've tried it.
- Brad

John Choi

Agent
I subscribe to Vanity Fair and didn't get a DVD. A few months ago I got a DVD in the mail with the first two BMW short films compliments of Talk Magazine. I sent a email to Vanity Fair, but haven't gotten a response back yet.

RicP

Screenwriter
Odd. I was under the impression that all subscribers got the DVD.
I'd call or send an email to Conde Nast (the publishers of Vanity Fair) or go over to the BMW forums on their site and ask around.
Rumor has it that they'll release it soon either for free or for a nominal charge, so thats something to hope for. :)
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

John Choi

Agent
I subscribe to Vanity Fair and didn't get a DVD with my latest issue. I wrote them a email asking if it was too late to still get a DVD and this is their response:
John,
Thank-you for your inquiry.
We apologize, the DVD went to very limited distribution and is no longer available.
If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.
mw

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I just received my copy of Roundel (the BMW car club magazine) yesterday, and the DVD was included. I guess it is probably a little late to subscribe now and get the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks