What's new

BMW The Hire DVD questions (1 Viewer)

Patrick.J.A

Stunt Coordinator
How can I tell if my copy has The Follow on it? It has the writing with the follow on it, but I have gotten it relatively recently (within the past 2 months). Is there a different case for the 2 versions? I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

Patrick

Peter O

Stunt Coordinator
Actually there is a way to tell by the packaging. The version with the Follow says something to the effect of the DVD including "extended director's versions of ... The Follow..." in a list of couple others.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Funny to see this. After waiting roughly SIX MONTHS, I received my BMWFilms DVD yesterday. It does not contain "The Follow," only the teaser and the disclaimer stating that it cannot be included due to contract issues.
I was impressed with the four films I did get. "Star," is the weakest, but amusing.
"Powder Keg," by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, is amazing.
I loved the Hulk band-aid
at the end of Ang Lee's "Chosen."
Regarding "The Follow," I would have to see it on DVD to believe that it was actually distributed.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i was one of the lucky ones that emailed the BMW webmaster early on and got the DVD (with the Follow) mailed to me. considering The Follow is my favourite of the 5 by far, it was an early christmas :). when i got mine, i told my friends about it and they went the same route, but by then they were only giving out the non-Follow ones.

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
Get this.
After four+ months of waiting after I called the SECOND time I finally recived a BMW brown cardboard envelope in the mail. I was so excited! I ran up to my apartment, tore it open to find...The Hire... PC Cd-ROM? WTF!!!!
AHHHH!
I felt like the kid in "A Christmas Story" when he finds out that Little Orphen Annie wants fim to drink his Ovaltine after running home to check the mail everyday!

I know it's free and all but still. Does anyone know if they are out of the DVD's? Has anyone else recived this?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
a pc-cdrom?!?!? as Kevin Kline says in Wanda: DISAPPOINTED!!!

so is it just the same .mov or whatever media files that's on the website?

you live in the states; have you tried going to a BMW dealership?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
OK. So maybe the earliest batch included "The Follow."

Does anyone know what the contract issue is that prevented the rest of us from being able to see it on DVD?

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
It was the appearance for Forrest Whittaker (sp?) that prevented the Follow from getting any further than the first pressing of the DVDs. There is a website that had more details on the dispute between Forrest and BMW which lead to the Follow being pulled. Unfortunately, I don't know.

I think if you do a search, you might be able to find it as I think I recall I saw the link here in HTF.

Bob

Patrick.J.A

Stunt Coordinator
Online, I believe is the only way. With this information I am going to blindly eBay my DVD saying it may or may not contain the follow (= Boo on Forest, I have seen the follow via the web and it is on of the 2 best. My other Favorite being the chosen.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
BMW Films is no longer showing The Follow on their website. Is it the same reason why it isn't on the DVD?
My DVD says on the packaging that it contains the Special Director's Edition of The Follow.

Patrick.J.A

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm I had thought they were. I haven't checked it out in many months though. Wish they still were, as I said it is one of the best. Actually probably one of the better short films I have scene. Especially considering it was basically a really expensive BMW commercial.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've no idea why Whitaker would be making a big fuss about the DVD issue, but i don't know the facts so i won't judge. from listening to the director commentary portion of The Follow, Wong Kar Wai certainly seemed to have had a good working relationship with him.
don't know why Follow isn't on the website either :P

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I should also note that there's no clear-cut timeline for when "The Follow" was removed from the disc, as a few people (such as myself) recieved copies with "The Follow" included long after people had reported getting the incomplete copies. I'd even say it's within the realm of possibility that you'd get a complete version if you inquired now, I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to which version of the DVD you get.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
i wonder if forrest gump-whittaker whatever his name is has a copy of the hire on dvd with the follow on it?
i betcha he does...in fact i bet he and his family have a whole bunch and sell them on e-bay all the time
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
oh well i guess if he's in it it's probably not worth seeing it anyway

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
i wonder if forrest gump-whittaker whatever his name is has a copy of the hire on dvd with the follow on it? i betcha he does...in fact i bet he and his family have a whole bunch and sell them on e-bay all the time. oh well i guess if he's in it it's probably not worth seeing it anyway
That's kind of a petty and childish post, don't you think?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Funny...I watched the new version of The Twilight Zone on UPN tonight. Guess who was the host? Whittaker!! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks