Bmw M5 (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
That is a great video! Does anyone know who made that video/conducted the test?

I saw an M6 recently and it looks a great deal more 'exciting' in person then any pic I've seen.

[url=http://www.gtjournal.com/images/m61.jpg] [/url]

While Ferrari's 2+2 612 Scaglietti may have two more cylinders, about twenty or so more HP, and certainly has 'panache' - between the two, I'd pick the M6 for the performance, looks, and value. Amazing car!

(although I'm still not warming up to Chris Bangle's newly designed raised rear lids - granted the M6 has a more subdued rear than the 7 series)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

That was a segment from Fifth Gear, originally aired on Channel Five in the UK and now shown on the SPEED Channel. I don't remember the driver's name at the moment, but he is one of the regular hosts. One of my favourite automotive programs (along with Car and Driver on SpikeTV).

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Ken. I never heard of Fifth Gear, but now that I am, I'll definitely be watching. Thanks again!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
tiff also does (did?) reviews for top gear. the last M5, which was the E39, was reviewed by tiff on top gear. if i had supercar money, i wouldnt trust anyone but tiff.

and that new M5 is 100% sex on wheels.

CJ

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
something i've always wondered here ...

is it me, or does anyone else notice that it's mostly late model bmw's on the road? i never seem to see anything older them maybe three or four years old.

is it a prestige thing (people trading them in), a rental thing (lease is up), reliability thing (doubtful), etc.

----

i'll be looking into getting a new car for myself (wifey already got her suv) in a couple more years. i'm *positive* bmw is gonna be on that short list! :D

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I've actually started to hear rumors that BMW is seriously considering raising the speed governor of the M5 and M6 from 250 km/h (155 mph) to 300 km/h (186 mph). It seems the new Bentley Continental Flying Spur luxury saloon with its 195 mph (circa 315 km/h) unfettered top speed is embarassing too many speed-limited high-end Audis, BMW's and Mercedes-Benzes and the German auto manufacturers don't want THAT to happen. ;)

By the way, expect the horsepower rating for the US version of the new M5 to be around 480 bhp, not the 500 bhp that has been frequently quoted earlier. This is because the Society of Automotive Engineers recently revised the J1349 standard for measuring engine horsepower, with new ratings reflecting all power accessories installed and taking into account the parasitic losses from the transmission. Indeed, the new SAE horsepower rating even has a name: SAE Certified.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ted, there's a TON of newer BMW's on the road in CT. I bought mine new ;)

Actually, the reason you see so many old ones is because they are 'reliable' and even the 10 year old ones are still considered 'valuable' and worth it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mark, you got my post bass-ackwards. ;)

i only see *new* ones on the road .. very few old ones. i think richard may have a good point ... i bet a lot of them are leases.

i mean, i definitely can't think of the last time i saw a 10 year old bmw! again, not knockin' them ... just curious.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

From what I read in the M6 review in Automobile magazine, BMW is discovering that most 645Ci owners are having the limiters removed from their vehicles (through tuners) and they are contemplating doing the same when the M6 launches. It's time to redraft a new gentleman's agreement (regarding the 155 limiter), or shelve it altogether.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Maybe so but as an aside the SAE measuered the new Z06 at 505hp, 5 more rated than the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks