BMW DVD - "The Follow" Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulP, Mar 1, 2002.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Today I recieved my BMW disc of "The Hire" that I ordered on the website. Sure enough it's the one without "The Follow". Dammit. Any kind people out there with an extra copy of the complete disc who are willing to send it to me? I'm ready to pay for it (but not eBay prices - come on, it's a free DVD...). Pretty please, with sugar on top.

2. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I'm still waiting for mine. The Webmaster said on 1/26/02 that they would forward the request in 4-6 weeks. Still have a couple of weeks to go, and if I haven't got it by then, I'll just write it off. Have been trying since October of last year to get it, so this is the final try for me. Hopefully, I'll get it, but if not, that's the way it goes.

3. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone actually get the disc after calling up BMW and asking for it back in October?

I sure didn't ....

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

If there is a BMW dealership near you, you could just go in and ask for it.

The copies my local dealership had, included all the short films.

But I already asked for two copies in one visit.

5. Graham Michael

Graham Michael Auditioning

Funny story behing my two copies
    I called the 800 number several times trying to procure a copy of The Hire. While I was told, again, several times, that the disc was on it's way, it simply did not materialize.
    My roomate just happens to be the daughter of the auto reviewer for the Toronto Star. He was given a copy. Being that I have a home theater, and they don't have a DVD player at home, he gave the disc to her, which she gave to me for Christmas.
    This copy had The Follow.
    My second copy I procured by innocently asking the lady behind the desk (who was eyeing me up [​IMG] ) at the Toronto Auto Show at the BMW booth "Is that The Hire? Is it available here in Canada?"
    To which she replied yes, then looking around conspiratorially, she slid a copy in a cardboard sleeve, under my bag (sitting on the desk). I palmed the lot and walked away.
    The copy did not have The Follow.
    So needless to say, I'm happy I've seen it. It's a great little film, and if anyone is in the K-W area in southern ontario and the want to see it, drop me a line, you can drop by.
    Just don't think you're taking it home without leaving a limb as collateral [​IMG]

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Out of curiosity. Has any other promotional DVD out there ever attracted such high demand?

7. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

Mine came today. No Follow. A shame; it's a fine piece of work by all involved.

8. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Agent

Copies including 'The Follow' are no longer produced.

This is the reason I heard (take it as a rumor):

Had something to do with Forest Whitaker's contract. His deal only permitted the film to be released on the internet, no other format.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah, they aren't produced with the 5 films. But they *were* produced. I guess from reading various messages on this topic is that the ones in a jewel cases are the 5-film versions. I'm just really looking for it, and it's not available, so I'm trying to see if anyone here can send me if they've got one to spare.

10. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Paul,

I'll see if my local dealer has anymore left in stock. If they do, I'll let you know.

11. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I had requested a copy from the BMW owners site last Summer as well as calling the 800 number. I received the 800 number DVD in about 45 days. I received the website requested DVD about a month ago!! Both of them include 'The Follow'

12. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i can't believe that it's Forrest Whittaker that is stopping The Follow to be put onto DVD [​IMG]
    you'd think he was cooler than that. i mean Mickey Roarke was in that movie too [​IMG]
    anyways, i think The Follow is the best of the bunch. i asked the webmaster for the DVD back in november and got the DVD 6 weeks later. it had the Follow on it.

13. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Agent

Yeah, I e-mailed the site and got my copy 2 or 3 months ago, with all 5 of the films. I agree that The Follow is the best one of them.
    Paul, if you can't find one soon, I'd just get it off ebay if you're really wanting it. They're only selling for like $10-$15 now. They were selling for MUCH more awhile ago, before everyone realized they were free [​IMG] It'd be best to pay like $15 now, instead of a year or two from now, when they'll probably be like $50-$100 each.

14. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

15. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I got 2 more on friday at a dealership in Allentown, Pa. Haven't watch them yet tho.

16. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Paul,

I had three copies of this DVD and all were in jewel cases. None of them contained The Follow.

I'm really bitter about this whole situation. I called BMW twice WAAAAAY back in the beginning and never received anything.

I ended up getting a copy from a local dealer and two through the website, and like I said, none have The Follow.

I WOULD buy one off of ebay, but I don't trust that the ones people are selling contain The Follow. As far as I know, there is NO WAY to tell from the outside of the package whether the film in included. All this auctions with "factory sealed, unopened" packages make me very leery. How can they be sure all five films are included? (All my three copies list The Follow on the cover.)

That said, if anyone out there has a copy that has The Follow on it, I would love to buy it. I'll make it worth your while, I promise. Send me a PM. Thanks!!!

-Kelly

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

There *is* a way to see if it's the 5-film version from just looking at the packaging. On the back, if it's the 5-film version, it should include "The Follow" in the films that are presented in extended director's versions. The disc I have (4 films), the back doesn't list it.

18. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Paul's correct (how did you know? Were you able to get a copy with THE FOLLOW?). There's copy on the back of the case that indicates the inclusion of the Extended Directors' Versions of CHOSEN, THE FOLLOW, and POWDER KEG.

However, the rest of the packaging on the incomplete version of the BMW dvd is very misleading. On both front and back, a picture of Wong Kar Wai and the title, THE FOLLOW, is prominently displayed. No where on either disc does it indicate on the OUTSIDE packaging that THE FOLLOW has been left off.

It isn't until you actually open up the case or slipcover does it become evident that THE FOLLOW has not been included.

For this reason, I would be wary of buying the disc off of eBay. From what I've seen, the sellers' pictures of the dvd only include the front. And if they do include the back picture, the copy indicating whether THE FOLLOW is included is too tiny to see. As Kelley indicated, many sellers promote their product by stating the dvd is new and unopened. So they cannot confirm whether THE FOLLOW is included.

19. PaulP

PaulP Producer

No, unfortunately I don't have the 5-film version yet. But from doing a bit of research, I realized that if there is "The Follow" listed as being presented in an extended version, it is the 5-film version. I saw a scan of it, and you can easily tell from the 4-film version that I have.

20. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Here's a scan I borrowed from one of the auctions of eBay. It is hard to see, but you can make out that "The Follow" is included.
    [​IMG]