BMW certified pre-owned warranty

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by mylan, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

My wife bought an 02 325i under warranty last year and now needs some warranty work done as well as replacement of the driver's side turn signal/marker lamp. Having never dealt with BMW before, we tend to let them do all the work least we void the "certified pre-owned"warranty. They never tell you that there is a $50 deductible for repairs under warranty until you go to have something fixed but we still feel like it is fair but can I go and buy a replacement bulb for the turn signal and replace it myself without incurring the $50 charge? Will they still need to reset the car's computer? I would hate to think that we are gong to pay fifty bucks for a freaking bulb!
    This seems like a question for Mark Sherman but I thought I would throw it out for the masses...

2. Rod J

Rod J Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett
  3. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Hey Mylan, I have yet to have to pay for any repairson my car that was covered under the warr. Since My car is not a CPO I really cant answer. But Think about it, if the engine Blows up and the most you have to pay is 50 bucks you are ahead of the game. I'm picking up the extended warr throughmy dealer and I might have to ask them if there is a deductible.

goodluck and happy hunting.

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yes, I would check. She is going down to have a power window that has gone off track repaired and that will be 50 bucks, well while the car is sitting in the shop, they want ANOTHER 50 bucks to change the turn signal bulb. I find this insane.

5. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Are you kidding me!!!! they charge you $50 for everything they touch and not a flat rate. So if you had 10 things go wrong ( lets hope not ) they would charge you 5 Bills to fix it although its under WARR. Kinda Defeats the whole purpose of a warr. If its under warr it should be FREE.

6. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

That was what I was lead to believe. I listened in while my wife got the info. It is getting close to her service interval which will be $399 and they gave her a price of $500 for everything. I can change the bulb out myself but did not want to incur the wrath of their snooty service manager about voiding the warranty, etc. etc.. I wonder if they would still need to reset the computer to clear the bulb warning anyway AND still charge her 50 to do that. This is our first and may be our last BMW if this is what we are in for.

7. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Also, she did not tighten her gas cap enough once and the "check engine" light came on and they wanted to charge her 50 bucks for that until she raised hell with them. The snotty service manager asked her "is this your first BMW?" to which her reply "yeah, and it will be my last if I have to pay you 50 bucks to reset a warning light!".
    I just got a reply from that roadfly site on how to clear the warning light, turn the key to the on position for a couple of minutes without starting the car and it should go off. I need to find a bulb now.

8. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

well, if this is an extended type warranty and NOT the mfg warranty (I assume it's apst the 3 years/36,000 miles) then I guess they can charge ou what ever they want for the extended warranty, like posted at the bmw forum, do some of the work yourself or find another mechanic to do the little things, and just take it to the dealer for anything that would be over $50.

BTW, I really don't think a lightbulb is included in a warranty, so that you can expect to pay for no matter what, but $50 is extremly high, but you figure they are going to charge you for the bulb and probably an hour labor (even though it's a 10 minute job)

9. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

This is the BMW Certified Pre-owned warranty so I guess it is sponsored by the manufacturer. I spoke with our salesman today and he said he would take care of it. I told my wife to ask tomorrow and if they wanted 50 bucks for the bulb to just say "no thanks" and i'll do it myself.

10. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

They should only charge $50 per visit, not per item wrong on the car, the fee is a "deductible", I never once had to pay more than the $50 even if I came in with multiple items. Regardless a bulb going out isn't a warranty item, so if you had them repair it it should be done under a standard labor/parts deal anyway.

They can't deny your warranty for changing the bulb yourself.

Also, keep in mind that the CPO warranty doesn't cover control arms or window regulators (the two most common failures in the 3-series), if you're close on the change over from manufacture to CPO they may do it for free anyway.

Do you have a service light, or do you just have a bulb out light? The bulb out warning will go away when you put a new bulb in. If you have a service light, that would be different.

11. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Well, she went and had the service done as I have been busy at work and the final tally was $250: 100 for a coolant and other fluid flush and fill, which is recommended at four years, 50 for the window, 30 to replace the bulb and socket (why they had to do this I do not know), can't even begin to speculate as to where the other 70 went. She is 2K away from the 15K service interval and they are going to want $399 for that, including injector cleaning, synthetic oil change, and heaven only knows what else they do for four bills. We are beginning to understand the "true" cost of owning such a fine motorcar and it may very well be our last!
    Oh yeah, the 70 bucks had to be for that "free" car wash she got!

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I had an 1997 E36 3 series that had water pump problems because they used plastic impellers. Had the pump replaced under warantee though. I'm not sure about the newer 3-series but I made my own little reset tool to clear the 'service' indicator on the OBD display on mine. Basically you have to do this little voodoo and then reset pin X to ground for X seconds in order for the computer to clear the service indicator. The dealership used to do this for free but eventually either the dealership or BMW told the dealerships to stop doing this for free so I made my own with simple parts and a resister connected to it (to avoid blowing up the computer if you missed pin X). You can look in the back of various auto magazines to buy a BMW reset tool but they are crazy expensive (like $60) for something as silly as shorting two pins!

Jay

13. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

You didn't get an itemized bill? If so, go in and ask for one. Just because it's a BMW dealer doesn't mean anything, you still have the same consumer rights as before.

BMW service goes;
    15k - oil change
    30k - Inspection 1 (oil change, air filter, adjustments, inspection)
    45k - oil change
    60k - Inspection 2 (Inspection 1 plus all other fluids changed, more inspections, etc)
    75k - oil change
    90k - Insp 1
    and so on.

Inspection 1 should run around $250-300
    Inspection 2 should run around $400-500
    (usually closer to the higher number).

Really, go find a better dealer to work with if you can. If not, call up BMW-NA and let them know your problems, this works especially well if you also financed through BMW. Also, when you get the call from BMW about the service, absolutely slam them, don't be nice or kind or anything of the like, tell them exactly what happened. The service rep's salary and job is based almost 100% on customer feedback.

I never had a problem with BMW service, I found a great service rep and stuck to him and I always got little extras. I managed to get some non-warranty stuff fixed (it was shortly after the warranty went out), basically he always went the extra mile to make sure I was satisfied.

14. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yeah, the car has 58K so it would be inspection 2. I'm not sure if she got an itemized bill, I just talked with her over the phone so I guess i'll find out more when I get home. Your figures are on the money ( no pun intended) because she has already paid $100 for the coolant portion and $399 to go when she goes back in.
    The best thing I can say about the certified program is that when she got the car they installed new Michleins (sp?) and it had a brake job, essentially you are starting out fresh and there is that piece of mind you get with the warranty. She drives on average 8K a year so at least we can go longer between service intervals than most people.

15. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

If you are only driving it 8k a year I hope you are changing the oil more often than the recommended 15K interval, which is entirely too long under most circumstances to begin with. My sister-in-law bought a new 3 series a few years ago. She didn't drive it much or for long distances for the most part. At 12k she decided to have her brother-in-law change the oil "early". He had to poke a hole through the sludge with a screwdriver to get it to drain out.

-Dave

16. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yikes, was she using synthetic oil? That is what they put in all their cars, thus the longer intervals.

17. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

That all depends on the car and driving habits. The 3-series has a higher than "normal" oil capacity (6-7 qts depending on model), plus the use of synthetic means you can extend an oil change out a bit longer than normal. Now granted if you don't drive much things change around a bit.

But you won't know for sure unless you send your used oil out for analysis.

18. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Most of her driving is around town, back and forth to work. Whenever we go out, we take it and I drive. It gets a much better workout with me. I once took it out to return a DVD and she said to me "please don't rag it out". So, at least part of the time, it is driven the way God and BMW intended!

19. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I recall test driving a 325i in the mid 90's. Loved the precision of the drive train and the handling. Was hanging around the dealership and decided to check prices on routine maintenance. There were 2 prices for an oil change. A "non BMW oil" change was ~$100. Oil change using "BMW oil" was ~$120. That was one factor that helped me make up my mind not to buy the 325i, despite the fact that the dealer offered to drop one off and let me keep it for several days.

When I heard a couple years ago that BMW provides free scheduled maintenance for 50,000 miles, I thought to myself, "so, they realized people were really turned off by the $120 oil change". The sad part, as has been pointed out, is the 15,000 mile oil change schedule. So, you get 3 free oil changes.

Synthetic oil will not break down under extreme conditions like regular oil, however, even synthetic oil will get dirty just about as quickly as regular oil. I wouldn't dream of going 2 years between oil changes. That is what someone driving 7,500 miles a year would do if they followed BMW's schedule.

20. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Re: oil changes. Yeah, it's not the oil you should be worried about but the paper filter. I change my oil and filter in between each interval (7-8k) for piece of mind or in your case, 1 years time, whichever comes first.

Re: control arms. It's not the arms that go bad, its either the front control arm bushings or the ball joints. So far, I've only had to replace the bushings which isn't too bad of a job. I'll check the ball joints again next year.

I do most of my own work (post free maintenance period) and have done the following on my 01 330i sedan.

- replaced water pump and thermostat (leaking at about 60k)
    - both belts (longer one was cracked)
    - coolant flush (messy, don't blame you to have someone else do it)
    - 1 window regulator and one free under warranty (plastic spindles failed in both cases, WTF?)
    - spark plugs replacement
    - installed extras (rear window shade, replaced inside trim, dead pedal, aluminum pedals, CD changer, front bumper trim)
    - front control arm bushings
    - brake pads, sensors and rotors

All of the above have been pretty straight forward if you have any sort of mechanical ability (I'm an engineer by profession). The toughest part of a couple of those jobs is putting all of the parts back into place vs. taking them out. There isn't much room to maneuver in the engine bay so it's hard to figure out where the interference is coming from sometimes.

Another common issue (in my experience and talking with others) is a camshaft sensor failure. I've had both intake and exhaust ones replaced in the same year. Total: $700 at an independent shop I trust. I found out afterwards that it's a simple swap similar to spark plug replacement. So now that I know what the symptoms are (stalling, hard to start, DSC light on), I'll DIY next time and save myself a few hundred bucks in labor.

Needless to say, I like working on this car and I love driving it. I'll keep it for a long time.