BMG Music Club SACD Titles

Discussion in 'Music' started by robertLP, Dec 12, 2004.

1. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Thought I'd be nice and post all the SACD titles available thru the BMG Music Club. All are $18.98 thru $24.98 except where noted. While this doesn't seem like a good bargain keep in mind you get 4 for free (plus shipping) after you purchase just one at full price. The 7 you get to pick for free up front don't normally include SACD titles, however.

Yes, the list is short but it might be an economical way for some of us to start our SACD collections.

Hopefully someone else can post a thread on all available Columbia House CD Club SACD titles.

Any reviews on these titles would be much appreciated!

Titles as of 1/14/05:

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session

Arcadi Volodos - Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 / Rachmaninoff: Solo Piano Works

Arthur Rubinstein - Chopin, Ballades & Scherzos

Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz

Bob Dylan - Love And Theft

Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Bob Dylan - The Limited Edition SACD Hybrid Set ($120.00)

Bob Dylan - Desire

Charles Munch - Saint-Saëns, Symphony No. 3

Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - The Quintet: Jazz At Massey Hall

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD Deluxe Edition - 2 CD/1 DVD for $11.99)

Fritz Reiner - Bartók, Concerto For Orchestra

Fritz Reiner - Strauss, Also sprach Zarathustra

Heart - Alive In Seattle

Isaac Hayes - Soundtrack

James Carter - Gardenias For Lady Day

John Coltrane - Lush Life

Marvin Gaye - The Marvin Gaye Collection

Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin'

Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Mozart, Requiem

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness

Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane - Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane

Van Cliburn - Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1

Wes Montgomery - Incredible Jazz Guitar

Fantasy Labels SACD 4-Pack ($24.98 gets you 4 of the above titles - Portrait In Jazz, Tenor Madness, Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane, and Incredible Jazz Guitar)

2. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Weren't mostof these available for around $8.00? I'll have to find the link and will post results.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Robert A., yes, recently they had a 60% deal with a promotion code and the Dylan SACDs I know were $7.99. RobertLP thanks for the list. They took off the Fanasty and Pretige jazz titles for a bit. When I got 4 free, I picked up 4 of them and they were good. After that I noted they were gone for a few mos. I already had many of the Dylans and the Elton John one.

4. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Try this link:

http://www.cdlounge.com/

Search for SACD under the Title drop down. Most are still listed for $7.99. Whether or not it is valid is another story.

5. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Extra

I'd watch it when it comes to buying stuff off of BMG. I remember when I was a member that their CD's were the "rejected" kind that was not distributed to record store retailers and the like. In other words, the SACD's from BMG may not be up to the critical standards you want with SACD. There is a reason they are giving these away for free - think of it as grey market SACD's.

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Matt:

I'm not so sure you aren't regurgitating an oft-told old wives tale about BMG and Columbia House CDs.

I've seen this issue addressed in various online forums and print letters to the editor questioning the sound quality of CoHo and BMG CDs versus their non-music club equivalents, but the response is always the same: except for the labeling identifying the CD as having been shipped by CoHo or BMG, the CDs (and I'd imagine SACDs) are the same as the product you'd get from a brick and mortar store.

I think the pricing has more to do with the economies of scale they are able to achieve than selling grey market product.

-p

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

My Elton John GBYBR SACD+DVD set from BMG didn't even get the music club labels. Only $11.99 [​IMG]

8. Robert A. Willis Jr.

I think the rumors came from the fact that Columbia House and BMG do manufacture many of their own discs from approved masters.

I do know that many Columbia House's LP's were pressed on what appeared to be cheaper vinyl. Many of them were climsy and sounded noisier. I haven't used their services since then.

9. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Edited the list as of 1/14/05