What's new

BMG Joins DVD-A Camp? (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
BMG Hong Kong has released more than one SACD....although they are of BMG's local Hong Hong artists. Heck, Warner Brothers Hong Hong has already released at least three SACDs already as well. Yes, SACD and not DVD-Audio.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It would seem logical that BMG would support DVD-A over SACD since they are in direct competition with Columbia House and Sony.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just remember, when it's all said and done, you've got Sony on your side.
I've got a lot more than Sony on my side. I've got Philips, Marantz, many high end mfrs, numerous (likely several dozen) audiophile labels, and several major labels like Universal's various progeny.
While I do wish Sony would do hybrids and increase the number of current releases, I think we still have the most momentum at this point in time.
We will see what happens. :)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..............Didn't Marantz just come out with a DVD-A player?

And if Sony really wanted to make an impact - why don't they put this format on their car audio and really run away with the damn thing? I think they have proven that they can include SACD capabilities in a unit at a very affordable price. What's the hold up?

And just one thing on the whole Stones deal. Because Sony refuses to issue hybrids, none of their remastered stuff is labled SACD. Why? Because they (the SACD camp) can't even decide on one format to use. They figure the average guy won't buy them if the SACD logo is on them, so they just casually forget to mention it at all. Nice way to educate the consumer.

Forget about what format "sounds" better. Unfortunately that's never been paramount as to why a particular format lives or dies. In the end it's marketing. If I was a betting man, I'd say that unless Sony puts on an amazing push in the next few months, you will see more of SACD backers either back off or do more fence straddling.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
OTOH with DVD-A you have already 20 manufacturers, over 60 models released so far.
High End machines are nice, but in the end they do absolutely zero to propel acceptance of a format into the mass markets eye site. When they ask "how much" and the answer is $12,000 they just walk away.
SACD has the lead in one area, and that's title count. If you count the number of multi-channel titles, then DVD-A is actually ahead by a nice margin.
Guess what, it's differentiation (multi-channel) that will sell these formats, not "better sound". Mass market consumers aren't worried about sound quality.
Also, can you talk to your Sony client about their business strategy Lee? Again in 2002 they released no players with Progressive Scan + Multi-channel SACD at the $200 price point that would help garner mass adoption. Meanwhile, Toshiba and JVC have a 2nd generation of players at this price point and Panasonic has its first generation.
I'm not a big fan of Jerry's, but I will say this....
If Audio Revolution works like other review publications, then they review the samples they are able to receive on loan through the company or its PR firms depending on which company it is.
Perhaps their slim SACD coverage is a direct result of being unable to get SACD player samples for review. Without an SACD player in their music reviewers hands (full time) it's well nigh impossible to do an SACD media review.
I know it was impossible for Secrets to get a Sony player for review, so the Sony products you have seen on the 'zine were a result of either purchases or dealer loans.
We (Secrets when I was there) was able to get players in from Sharp and Marantz and I think they were reviewed fairly and accurately.
Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Al,

Once Marantz was no longer majority controlled by Philips, the first product they developed was a DVD-A player.

Good point.

Regards,

anthony_b

Screenwriter
With the new DENON / MARANTZ merger, we should expect to se more Marantz players with DVD-A capabilities....:emoji_thumbsup:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

From what I have gathered, for the time being they (Denon and Marantz) are going to remain seperate from a product standpoint, but share manufacturing capability.

That doesn't mean this won't change, and I will certainly be talking with both Denon and Marantz reps @ CEDIA at months end.

Regards,

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
When the Universal announcment came many months ago, SACD and hi-rez supporters alike were excited, but where are the titles?
Yes, I'm still waiting for A Love Supreme...

As for Super Audio players for the car- that isn't necessary to help the format. SACDs can already be played in the car- if they're hybrids! A huge advantage over DVD-A at this time.

NP: Bill Bruford's Earthworks, All Heaven Broke Loose

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,

When are you going to actually do an article for Widescreen Review?

What's in the hopper?

I never see anything with your byline on it. It would be nice to have a point of reference since you have heard some of my work on the McCoy Tyner album.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
What's in the hopper?
I can't comment publically on items in for review, but I will be fortunate to have head to head a pair of comparably priced "mid high-end" processors and DVD players. "Mid high-end" to me means between $5K and $10K.
You are all free to speculate on what they might be.
One set of 'em is sitting in their boxes in the theater room..... Guess what I'm doing tonight?
Thank goodness I have that EMM Labs Switchman ;)
Thanks for the interest, I promise I really am writing for WSR :D
Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
One other thing to keep in mind is that there was about a six week lag between the last of the Secrets review samples being completed and the arrival of the first WSR review samples.
I think I make my first appearance on the masthead in October, which I hear is half the battle ;)
Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My first article was slated for the October issue, but was pushed back one issue to November so it's in the can.
Great! Congratulations! We will look out for the issue. :)
Why don't we co-author a "he said/he said" debate on DVD-Audio versus Super Audio?
I have publishing credits already and we seem to understand the issues fairly well. I can bring in some industry folks as well possibly...
Run it by Gary and see what he says...could be fun and educational...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks