BMG Joins DVD-A Camp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al B. C, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Check it out!

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Al, I was just about to post this myself, I got the email from them last night...[​IMG] ...I like a lot of the artists on this label...Finally the King in High Resolution !!!

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

My problem with this kind of reporting is this:

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think the math is also wrong. EMI is also a SACD supporter, so this 3 of 5 business is misleading at best.
    As someone said on Audio Asylum, Audio Revolution has always been a mouthpiece for DVDA.
    I check in often and the reviews on SACDs are pretty scarce. In fact I'm not sure I have seen one.
    Maybe Jerry has Stones envy [​IMG]

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Let's say, hypothetically, that BMG fully supports only DVD-A. I don't believe that would necessarily hurt SACD. It still holds a lot more of the jazz and classical angle. I see nothing wrong with it remaining an audiophile or "niche" format, like high-end vinyl.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Well you can tell a lot from the website:
    In the music archives section:
    Number of DVDA reviews: 26
    Number of SACD reviews: 7
    Nearly four to one...there is not much bias here! [​IMG]
    So much for the objectivity of this site.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

.......Especially when they break news you don't like. I wonder if audiorevolution had broke the 'rumors' in favor of SACD would we hear these complaints regarding audio revolutions lack of objectivity towards DVD-A? Just a thought.

Reg

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Great news if true. DVD-A or SACD, I could care less as long as more music comes to Hi-res. If true though, I would consider this a blow to SACD's momentum.

J

10. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Reggie, you hit the nail right on the head..[​IMG]

11. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I am happy for DVDA if this is true, but if I post something like this when it is still a rumor I get all sorts of grief. Besides, most of my comments relate to valid concerns about the objectivity of Audio Revolution.

Why don't we wait for an official announcement.

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    BMG has released atleast one SACD already. I have the import Los Indios Tabajaras' ALWAYS IN MY HEART from BMG Hong Kong. If you like acoustic guitar it's quite good too.[​IMG]

14. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Mmm...Dave Matthews Band on DVD-A. Now, that would be awesome if done properly.

15. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Lee,

The article did expressly state that it was a RUMOR, and would likely be confirmed later. This is also exactly how AL posted the article - note the question mark in the thread topic. There is nothing wrong with this. I also remember reading a few weeks ago at AUDIO REVOLUTION how DVD-A should take some marketing tips from SACD, and they have also favorably reviewed the Sony 775 changer and several discs. Yes, they have reviewed more DVD-A's but so what? There could be numerous explanations for this, but it is quite a stretch to base your perceived AR.COM bias on the sheer number of reviews.

Everyone,

IF this info is confirmed, as was later the case with Universal and SACD, I'll save the excitement when I start seeing titles out there. When the Universal announcment came many months ago, SACD and hi-rez supporters alike were excited, but where are the titles? I will cross my fingers in hopes that IF BMG decides to support DVD-A, they really support it, and sincerely hope that the only support doesn't end up being just the press release. I would welcome ALL/ANY TITLES on either format. I have and enjoy them both, and instead of looking at this in a either or way, we should be supporting companies that release titles in hi-rez regardless of the format.........Damn the format war.

Reg

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, I don't think the sonics on LOS INDIOS TABAJARAS' ALWAYS IN MY HEART are outstanding but it's an old recording circa 1963. It may sound about the best it can be? When you hear this duo perform you won't worry about the sonics. You'll be captivated. Have you never heard them? My dad had their record when I was a teenager. Of all his records it was one of only two I liked, BTW, the other was TAKE FIVE by Dave Brubeck. I did't like classical back then.

I compared it to my redbook CD of their 1958 first album, SWEET AND SAVAGE which has four bonus cuts from ALWAYS IN MY HEART. I couldn't hear a substantial difference between OVER THE RAINBOW and AMAPOLA. I think that these two albums were the only ones that RCA released in the U.S. I could be wrong about that...?

I know these two guys were far more popular in Europe. Amazon has CD's that have stuff from their career in Europe. You should get something by them. One guy plays lead in one channel and the other plays rythmn in the other side and here is some simple percussion. Buy something by them. Best wishes!

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Check out Verve's site for Super Audio releases like the new Al Jarreau.
    Oops! I guess we should call Jerry and tell him that Verve Music Group is a Universal label [​IMG]

19. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Amen Al! Sony is a little lost black sheep!