What's new

BMG Joins DVD-A Camp? (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Check it out!

BMG Rumored To Fully Support DVD-Audio

By Jerry Del Colliano

A source close to AudioRevolution.com says that today BMG agreed to support DVD-Audio for their upcoming high resolution music releases. Multiple phone calls were made to BMG’s New York and LA offices but we were not able to confirm the news possibly due to the upcoming holiday weekend.

The battle between DVD-Audio and SACD has been a nasty one with the big losers being music enthusiasts who are spending less of their disposable cash on prerecorded music over the past 18 months. With BMG joining AOL TimeWarner and EMI that leaves Sony and Universal supporting SACD. Some of BMG’s best artists include: Dave Matthews Band, Alicia Keys, Carlos Santana, The Elvis Prestley Catalog, Whitney Houston, Alan Jackson, Jay-Z, Clint Black, Dido, Foo Fighters, Vince Gill, ZZ Top, Yes, Sarah McLauchlan, Pink, P. Diddy and many more.

With three of the big five media conglomerates on board for DVD-Audio, students of the high res audio battle are left wondering how long it will be until Universal announces their support for DVD-Audio. UMG came out with a statement saying that Sony’s SACD was a “preferred” format but they refused to rule out DVD-Audio for future releases. Now more than 6 months after the announcement, none of the 25
SACD titles have been released. Sony is currently releasing both stereo and surround sound titles as are a number of smaller, boutique record labels.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Al, I was just about to post this myself, I got the email from them last night...:emoji_thumbsup: ...I like a lot of the artists on this label...Finally the King in High Resolution !!!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Now more than 6 months after the announcement, none of the 25
I would not read too deep into this as Audio Revolution has always lacked any real SACD coverage.

Also, what about the upcoming Verve releases?

My sources tell me they are already in the can.

The problem I have is (1) that Universal is already releasing SACDs and (2) this article makes it seem like an either or thing when there are several labels that support both like Chesky and Songline.

We will have to wait and find out what the real story is.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think the math is also wrong. EMI is also a SACD supporter, so this 3 of 5 business is misleading at best.
As someone said on Audio Asylum, Audio Revolution has always been a mouthpiece for DVDA.
I check in often and the reviews on SACDs are pretty scarce. In fact I'm not sure I have seen one.
Maybe Jerry has Stones envy :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Let's say, hypothetically, that BMG fully supports only DVD-A. I don't believe that would necessarily hurt SACD. It still holds a lot more of the jazz and classical angle. I see nothing wrong with it remaining an audiophile or "niche" format, like high-end vinyl.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well you can tell a lot from the website:
In the music archives section:
Number of DVDA reviews: 26
Number of SACD reviews: 7
Nearly four to one...there is not much bias here! :laugh:
So much for the objectivity of this site.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
.......Especially when they break news you don't like. I wonder if audiorevolution had broke the 'rumors' in favor of SACD would we hear these complaints regarding audio revolutions lack of objectivity towards DVD-A? Just a thought.

Reg

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Great news if true. DVD-A or SACD, I could care less as long as more music comes to Hi-res. If true though, I would consider this a blow to SACD's momentum.

J

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Reggie, you hit the nail right on the head..
AMEN!

Hey Lee, as you're so fond of telling John K, can't you just be happy about what is very good news for the dvd-a format or does that only apply when it's good news for the sacd format.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am happy for DVDA if this is true, but if I post something like this when it is still a rumor I get all sorts of grief. Besides, most of my comments relate to valid concerns about the objectivity of Audio Revolution.

Why don't we wait for an official announcement.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
BMG has released atleast one SACD already. I have the import Los Indios Tabajaras' ALWAYS IN MY HEART from BMG Hong Kong. If you like acoustic guitar it's quite good too.:emoji_thumbsup:

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lee,

The article did expressly state that it was a RUMOR, and would likely be confirmed later. This is also exactly how AL posted the article - note the question mark in the thread topic. There is nothing wrong with this. I also remember reading a few weeks ago at AUDIO REVOLUTION how DVD-A should take some marketing tips from SACD, and they have also favorably reviewed the Sony 775 changer and several discs. Yes, they have reviewed more DVD-A's but so what? There could be numerous explanations for this, but it is quite a stretch to base your perceived AR.COM bias on the sheer number of reviews.

Everyone,

IF this info is confirmed, as was later the case with Universal and SACD, I'll save the excitement when I start seeing titles out there. When the Universal announcment came many months ago, SACD and hi-rez supporters alike were excited, but where are the titles? I will cross my fingers in hopes that IF BMG decides to support DVD-A, they really support it, and sincerely hope that the only support doesn't end up being just the press release. I would welcome ALL/ANY TITLES on either format. I have and enjoy them both, and instead of looking at this in a either or way, we should be supporting companies that release titles in hi-rez regardless of the format.........Damn the format war.

Reg

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have and enjoy them both, and instead of looking at this in a either or way, we should be supporting companies that release titles in hi-rez regardless of the format.........Damn the format war.
We certainly agree on this. In fact in my earlier post, this was the big problem I had with the sloppy reporting from Jerry's article, this whole either or thing is wrong as several majors support both formats. It could happen that SACD becomes a niche format for audiophiles and DVDA for HT buffs.

Rachael,

I love acoustic guitar and I have added this BMG title to my buy list. Are the sonics tip top?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, I don't think the sonics on LOS INDIOS TABAJARAS' ALWAYS IN MY HEART are outstanding but it's an old recording circa 1963. It may sound about the best it can be? When you hear this duo perform you won't worry about the sonics. You'll be captivated. Have you never heard them? My dad had their record when I was a teenager. Of all his records it was one of only two I liked, BTW, the other was TAKE FIVE by Dave Brubeck. I did't like classical back then.

I compared it to my redbook CD of their 1958 first album, SWEET AND SAVAGE which has four bonus cuts from ALWAYS IN MY HEART. I couldn't hear a substantial difference between OVER THE RAINBOW and AMAPOLA. I think that these two albums were the only ones that RCA released in the U.S. I could be wrong about that...?

I know these two guys were far more popular in Europe. Amazon has CD's that have stuff from their career in Europe. You should get something by them. One guy plays lead in one channel and the other plays rythmn in the other side and here is some simple percussion. Buy something by them. Best wishes!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Check out Verve's site for Super Audio releases like the new Al Jarreau.
Oops! I guess we should call Jerry and tell him that Verve Music Group is a Universal label :laugh:

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Besides, most of my comments relate to valid concerns about the objectivity of Audio Revolution.
Lee - with your obvious bias on this matter, how can you possibly question anyone's objectivity?

Just remember, when it's all said and done, you've got Sony on your side. I wouldn't make any long term bets on SACD with those guys. They don't have enough foresight to make hybrid SACD's or car stereo head units with SACD capabilities. These guys could be dominating the hi-rez sector and they keep shooting themselves in both feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks