What's new

BMG/Jive-Zomba(USA) to release DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
My friend works at Zomba and he tells me that next year They will be releasing R.Kelly,Britney and Justin Timberlake
on DVD-A. A positive step in getting the "younger" people into "Hi-Rez". But I'll take any freebies he gives me ;)

The R.Kelly hits DVD-V sounds really good in 5:1

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Wow, 311 is on the Zomba list of labels. Holy crap if they were to remix Transistor into surround I would buy it instantly. And that album is one of the few I would buy if it were just remixed into hi-res 96 or 192kHz stereo form. Their blue album and Sound System would also be bought nearly as fast in dvd-audio form (I don't own their latest album Evolver yet). Edit: yikes I just saw that Evolver at cduniverse.com has ninety reviews written for it! 2-5 reviews is the norm. Could that album be on a dvd-audio list if it's that popular?

Though this announcement said nothing about 311 I'm keeping my fingers TIGHTLY crossed.

LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Justin and Britney would definitely spark some interest in hirez among the youngsters.

I wonder if we will see SACDs from BMG as well given the Sony merger...

By the way, anyone find it interesting that Michael Jackson was working with R. Kelly on a video when he was arrested? Birds of a feather. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Ah hell, I'll say it: getting teenagers/non-audio hobbyists to buy an entirely separate player (i.e. sacd) would be a VERY difficult thing to accomplish for titles like these. But seeing as there are hundreds of thousands of non-Sony 5.1 HTiB's out there nowadays, from $89(!!!) and up, a dvd-audio version of Justin or Brittany is a much easier sell to their fans.

LJ

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lance,

Not only that, but the limited dynamics and processed vocals fit lossy codecs very well. Such 'production' is not going to benefit notably by true high-res. 5.1 DD or DTS will do the trick...sadly.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

This should be a separate thread, but my opinion is that BMG's plans of further DVD-A releases could be halted by Sony.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The surround aspect is what I'm alluding to when I talk about sacd or dvd-audio & non-audio hobbyists, not hi-res.

Michael: Dolby or DTS can sound pretty good IMO, better than FM radio, and DTS can sometimes (to me) sound better than CD. And either one definitely sounds better than the typical 128kbps MP3.

LJ

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Tony-B: Totally off-topic but what's the deal with the red slash on LOTR? (don't worry, I'm more of a fan of stories where the characters have less hair :) & say things like "FTL drive engaged sir!" and buy their first rocket ship from the local used lot). Edit: Another 100% grossly off-topic message :b : I just found out one of Robert Heinlein's most controversial books, Stranger In A Strange Land, was restored from 160,000 words to its original length of 220,000 words back in 1991--I didn't know it was edited in the first place! Yikes, I'll have to read it again & see if grokking still means the same thing.

LJ

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

Well according to my friend Sony will have NO say in what BMG decides to do with DVD-A. He sees a time where BMG/Jive follows Universal's lead and does both formats. He is learning about DVD-A menus and such(He is the "New Media" director). Jive in Europe has put out SACD's(A few free copies for me ;) ).

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
BMG and its associate labels has already released a number of SACDs overseas. I have the Air Supply "The Definitive Collection" and Kenny G Live SACDs that were issued by Hong Kong Arista. Click here and you'll see BMG concentrated its SACD efforts in Asia.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Cripes! Britney's coming to hi-rez!

LOL...looks like my solution for the argument of selling hi-rez to the masses is coming true. Soon enough it will be time for me to put up or shut up.

...and I've already lost my dignity enough by merely suggesting that Britney be released in hi-rez. I guess it wouldn't matter much if I skewed the numbers a bit in my favor by actually purchasing her releases. It's all for the video content, you see :)

Edit: I just realized that nothing I said makes any sense at all. Oh well, it's early...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks