What's new

BM on denon 2900 (1 Viewer)

Pat Underwood

Auditioning
I like to first point out that video, and audio through the digital connections are top notch on this player no complaints.

But I have been trying to get the channel levels balanced through the analog inputs for several days and I must be missing something.

I have a Denon AVR-3300 with the DVD-2900 hooked up through its external six channel inputs. I've calibrated the receiver to 75 dB on all channels using internal test signals. When using the internal BM on the 2900 I have all of the channels set to -10 dB and the SW set to 0 dB. Using the internal test signal from the 2900 using the reference level on the 3300 (00 dB) I get 75 dB on the front channels and surrounds and about 60 dB on the SW. This is noticeable music as well as movies. If I use the analog input on movies scenes that I am familiar with (like pod race) there is a noticeable decrease in bass. I know this is not a fair comparison for SACD or DVD-A performance but since this is my first experience with these formats I have no frame of reference.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I'm in love with all of the features of this player except for this and don't want to have to take it back

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Pat:

I am very interested in this also. However, one thing I would like to ask is what are the settings you use to calibrate the 3300 - +/-dB on the channels? It might help to turn up the sub volume and turn down the output from the receiver. Although, this is counterintuitive to the recommendation to keep the sub line-level output high and the sub volume lower in order to more easily activate the sub based on signal.

I have an AVR 5800 that is a straight pass-though like the 3300 and am considering the 2900.

Do you have AVIA or VE to see what happens through the player using other test tones?

Mike

Pat Underwood

Auditioning
Mike

I haven't tried turning up the volume of the sub it just didn't occur to me. I don't like using Avia or VE for test tones because it seemed as though they were too hot. But that was with my old Pioneer DV-606D, so maybe I should give that a try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I also called Magnolia Hifi (the place I purchased the unit) and they said they thought it was defective and that they would give their Denon rep a call. I haven't heard back from them. From everything I've seen on the net it seems like a another issue.

Regards

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mike- I have seen the converse: Keep the sub's volume knob higher, and the sub's level setting in the receiver/pre pro *lower*, to avoid overloading the receiver's/pre pro's output. I've seen this mentioned in S&V as well as one of the British hi fi mags. ??

Pat- You could try an external source for test tones:

http://www.chesky.com/catalog/body_c...274&CATEGORY=2

I know that some people have complained about "wimpy" sub test tones on some Pioneer universal players. (Basically, there is a problem with the player's sub's test tone level.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks