Blurry Image

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Antonio_B, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

I just received my new 57HX84 and i hooked it up to the receiver and the satellite.
    After all that,the picture looks blurry and certainly not crisp.
    By the way,even the DVD picture is so-so.
    Do you guys have an idea what sould i do?

2. John S

John S Producer

Have it professionally calibrated. This should include focus.

I would assume your hooking up your video signals via either Component Video and/or DVI/HDMI. If not, certainly do this before judgement.

Svideo and Composite can be quite poor on screen sizes that large.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Is this your first "Big Screen"?

If so this is "normal" as you will find "Crap in crap out" with regards to picture.

That said there are a few things you should do in order to improve it.

1. Remove the protective screen if you can. To me it was a huge improvement.
    2. Use the AVIA dvd to calibrate your set. While this won't be equal to a professional calibration, it will improve the image quality ALOT. Also if you feed your set a non progressive scan signal it won't appear to be clear. If you don't already have a progressive dvd player, I would get one ASAP and then hook it up via a good set of component cables.
    3. Do your convergence. Most sets have 9 point and 56 point convergence. Doing that is important.

Doing these 3 things will improve your picture quality immensely.

4. John S

John S Producer

I actually had this set sort of confused on the model number.

This set is usually pretty darn good...

It has auto focus, and a whopping 56 point manual convergence. heck yeah, the previous poster is right on....

Do the convergence, and auto focus, calibrate it even with a basic THX optimizer available on so many DVD's these days, and it should be pure great. If not after that, then call the place you got it from.

5. Antonio_B

Yeah this is my first RPTV ever,so i'm a bit overwhelmed.

Now when i go into the options,i notice there's an option called "Convergence",i tried it but i don't feel like it's very useful.

BTW,nope i don't have a Progressive Scan DVD player but i tought the television would automatically get you into the "Progressive Scan" mode without the necessity of buying a new DVD player.

Oh and do you know how to take off that protective screen,can a technician do it?

6. Antonio_B

Just a few more details about the TV.
    I'm currently sitting 7 feet away from my 57",so is it too close?
    I don't know but i have that feeling that my picture quality is getting worse...

And do you think all my Video/Audio cables/wires can have a negative impact on the television picture if they're all scrambled?

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yes IMHO. What I'd consider a perfect distance for you is 10-11 feet back. 7' from a 57 is too close. Combine that with the size and you magnify the issues. Now if its blurry with HD, then that might concern me.

8. Antonio_B

Thanks Shane for the reply but there's a question i edited while you were answering so you probably didn't see it,here it is:

And do you think all my Video/Audio cables/wires can have a negative impact on the television picture if they're all scrambled and so near to the wall?

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I wouldn't think so unless they are getting damaged somehow.

I would just make sure your power cables are away from the other cables.

10. Antonio_B

That's exactly my problem,power cables are mixed up with audio/video cables.
    I can get the best picture possible by pulling the TV away from the backwall so that there's much more room for all the cables,but once i push the TV against the wall with all the cables, I can notice some serious video degradation(parasite).

What do you suggest?Direct all the power cables in a different way so that they don't touch audio/video cables?

11. John S

John S Producer

Nothing on the other side of the wall that could be causing interference is there??? It does happen.