Blurry Image

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Eric Waldman, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Eric Waldman

Eric Waldman Auditioning

My friend just bought a 56" Sony TV and I was disgusted at how bad non Hi Definition programming looks. It's all blurry, full of artifacts and im dissapointed with it.

I'm planning on buying a Hitachi 46W500 and I don't want that happening to me, is their any way to increase the resolution of the images without killing the quality? I'm not sure if I am going to be able to get the HDTV receiver from StarChoice right away or an HDTV DVD Player so I want to have some acceptable IQ for the meanwhile.

Thanks in advance.

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

the big hd sets have a problem with the low quality sd broadcasts, most of what your seeing is not the tv, it's the broadcast that was designed for a 19" tv sometimes doing a calibration makes it better, also the choice of connections will effect it greatly use the best connection possible, the hitachi does pretty well on sd stuff, I've also never liked sony'd big screen tv picture (could be since they are using someone elses tubes in them)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Stephen said. And the bigger the display, the more apparent the hideous flaws and artifacting in most NTSC cablecasts.

4. Eric Waldman

Eric Waldman Auditioning

I still don't see why it should be this bad, I resize images in photoshop all the time and it is fine.

IMAX resized images as well and there is no apparent loss in quality, is it just that it is too expensive to do this for personal use or something?

5. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

take an image that's 100x100 and blow it up to 1020x480 and you'll get an idea. What your seeing are defects that are there just magnified so you actually see tehm

6. Eric Waldman

Eric Waldman Auditioning

I resized this image img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Enrickey/1080bg.jpg from 640x480 (NTSC resolution) to 1440x1080, while a lot of the quality is lost, I can honestly say that the quality is much better then my friend's TV did.