Blurry HDTV output on ATI X1600 XT

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Ely, Apr 16, 2006.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I recently picked up a Sapphire X1600 XT video card and decided to try connecting it to my 46" HDTV. It has support for 1080i output (via component output), so I was excited to play with some HD videos I have.

I was surprised to find a pretty blurry output. Not only HD content was blurry, but even regular DVD playback. Since a lot of people use their systems for an HTPC, I'm wondering if I might be missing something. I confirmed the 1080i profile is properly loaded. I tried the 720P setting and it wasn't any better.

Any thoughts?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Does your HDTV have a VGA input? If so check and see what resolutions are supported by your TV for that input.

Also, if your Video card and TV has DVI you can try that route.

This is what I use and what most people with HTPC's use as well. I would suspect the blurry image is coming from the component conversion some how or another - Possibly even a poor component cable.

3. David Ely

Hmmm ... I don't think I have a DVI cable lying around. I'll see if I can grab one from work this week and give it a try.

4. David Ely

Crap ... turns out my black level was just set too high. Recalibrating fixed the blurriness 100%.