1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blurry Edge on Sony KV36FV1

Discussion in 'Displays' started by elston, Sep 5, 2003.

1. elston

elston Auditioning

I would appreciate your assistance with a little dilema I am having. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Sony KV36FV1 television that I recently had serviced because the picture was considerably more blurry on the left side of the picture than on the middle or right hand side of the screen. Upon receiving the set back, I find that the overall picture is somewhat acceptable however, when viewing small text or video patterns, the center of the screen is now nice and sharp, but the outer sections of the picture are somewhat blurry. This is true for about a seven inch diameter from the center of the screen. Everything outside this is now uniformly slightly blurry. Is this normal? I do not see this anomoly in other televisions I see in store displays.

I am interested in having the picture as uniform as possible before starting a calibration process. If the above mentioned distortion is not normal, how can I correct this?

Again, thanks in advance,
    Elston

PS: I have had this set for about 4 years but have never bothered to have this issue addressed until now. I was always too busy to sit and watch some TV. Things have changed now and I am ready to sit and enjoy some tube.

2. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like the tech only paid attention to the center of screen instead of the whole screen when adjusting the focus setting on the flyback transformer. It's a compromise setting to get best quality overall

It should be under warranty by the tech/service center, right?

If you have any colored edges you also have a convergence problem.

3. elston

elston Auditioning

I assume that the TV still has the standard 30 day warranty from the service shop. I also still have the extended warranty warranty from when I purchased the TV too. I just don't want to call the same guys back again. If they didn't do a good job the first time, I don't trust them to try it again.

Any idea as to how much it would cost to have the set adjusted by a qualified tech? Or, can I get a qualified tech to honor my extended warranty?

I ordered the service manual for the TV in case I need to make minor adjustments after the warranty has expired however, I would like an experienced service person to take a crack at it first. Can anyone recommend someone in the Bronx, NY area?

Thanks for the reply and information