Blurred Images in ST TMP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kimo Bonnelycke, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,
    I just finished watching TMP, and I was wondering if anybody else noticed some blurring in the picture. For example, when Kirk is talking to Spock on the bridge, part of the picture (specifically behind Kirk) is blurred. I noticed this through the movie. Anybody else?
    Thanks,
    Kimo Bonnelycke

2. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

The "blurring" was intentional. Robert Wise and his cinematographer Richard Kline employed "double-focus" lenses for shooting certain scenes in ST:TMP.
    Anton
    [Edited last by Anton Ruzic on November 06, 2001 at 07:53 PM]

3. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Good to hear that, since I was thinking I might need to get my eyes checked [​IMG]
    Kimo Bonnelycke

4. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I'm also glad to hear that some of the blurry backgrounds were intentional. I was trying to figure out why it was blurry directly behind Kirk in this scene yet a few feet over, in that same background at the same depth, part of the bridge and a crew member were in focus. It appearred similar to some military documentaries I've seen where some classified background monitors/equipment, like on a nuclear sub, would be intentionally blurred. Somewhat distracting in my opinion. I'm just glad I'm not losing my eyesight or have a defective disc for that matter.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think that's what they call a split-diopter focus. I heard it called that in the Usual Suspects commentary.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Hmmmm, I have used split diopters on shoots before but it's been a while. If my memory serves me correctly, they are used for getting both foreground and background in focus. That's why a blurred background has me confused a bit. This may not be the split diopter effect.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    In fact, Wise and his cinematographer Richard Kline used the same split-focus effect a few times in an earlier collaboration - The Andromeda Strain (1971).
    I suspect that those who are just now spotting this have only previously seen TMP on pan-and-scan VHS tape (or the older LD) - thus have never noticed the split-focus effect before. Or they haven't seen the movie since the '79 theatrical release and just can't remember that far back [​IMG]. It's always been there on the widescreen LD and VHS tape.
    Joel
    [Edited last by Joel Fontenot on November 07, 2001 at 11:32 AM]